Green Tea

Options
Has anyone else had luck with drinking green tea? A friend of mine was drinking at least 5 cups a day and the weight just flew off of her. She is a person who will bring a small bowl of chips and a glass off pop to bed with her every night...I look at chips and gain weight.

Replies

• JenniDaisy
    JenniDaisy Posts: 526 Member
    Options
    Green tea will only make you lose weight if it's replacing actual food in your diet.
  • Lrdoflamancha
    Lrdoflamancha Posts: 1,280 Member
    Options
    Drink green tea if you like it... Not for weight loss. It has very little impact on your metabolism.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    I drink heaps of green tea and have lost 25kg. However, the 2 aren't related. The tea is tasty, warms me up, and hydrates me. The weight loss is from a calorie deficit. :)
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    5 cups of tea a day may mean 5 cups less of pop a day or not being hungry enough to refill your plate. Same happens with water or coffee or any very low calorie beverage when a person drastically increases their intake. Your friend is unconsciously (or consciously) doing more than just tea to lose weight (like eating less and/or moving more). Your friend may be a bit more active than you during the day or she may be eating less during the day which makes her able to afford the chips and pop. You too can afford that if you want! Take an extra walk and switch to diet pop and you will be able take some to bed every night without gaining!
  • jcorvett007
    jcorvett007 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Thanks!
  • PiSquared
    PiSquared Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    I love green tea! Just not as a weight loss aid. If you want to try some yummy teas, I can recommend some.
  • WickedPineapple
    WickedPineapple Posts: 698 Member
    Options
    I drink 3-5 cups of green tea a day. It has not affected my weight loss other than I drink one or two less sugar-laden cups of coffee. It's a substitute.
  • LovelyIvy466
    LovelyIvy466 Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    I drink green tea, generally with almond milk as an iced latte, sweetened with stevia. I LOVE it but it has no measurable impact on weight loss.
  • HeySwoleSister
    HeySwoleSister Posts: 1,938 Member
    Options
    I drink tons of black tea, herbal tea, and white teas. The warmth, aroma, and flavor are a good substitute for light snacking if I'm not so much hungry as just a wee bit peckish.

I don't drink green tea because it doesn't taste nice to me.

And, it should go without saying....the "boosts your metabolism" claim is BS about green tea and every other "superfood" out there. At best you burn an extra calorie or two...I'd rather play a game of Tetris to achieve the burn.
  • harpsdesire
    harpsdesire Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    Drinking tea helps me with dieting because if I'm drinking tea I'm not tempted to be snacking. I also think it helps my water intake, since I don't really enjoy plain water that much, but I like unsweetened tea of all kinds.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    JenniDaisy wrote: »
    Green tea will only make you lose weight if it's replacing actual food in your diet.

This^

I drink green tea all the time....no miracle here.
  • Kiku10
    Kiku10 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Some people swear by it. Alton Brown. Brew it strong.

You'll need to eat at deficit, and it may only help a little. Super healthy, either way. For me, strong green tea from loose leaves helps me fight fatigue...and that helps me manage my weight. Try it.