I'm going to Universal and Disney...any pointers or first hand experience?

Options
13»

Replies

• wyndall93
    wyndall93 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    We are headed to Disney next month. We are staying on property so we pretty much plan to eat Disney food service while we are there. I did order some groceries through Garden Grocer -- lots of different options and delivered right to your hotel. So we'll have water bottles (free ice in the parks if you ask) and snacks that we can carry with us so we won't spend too much on snacks.

I'm just trying to be "extra" good now so I can enjoy our time in the park. I know we'll be walking a LOT, so I don't plan to sweat it much. This is a big trip for us, so I don't want to spend my time worrying about whether or not I should have a Mickey Mouse ice cream bar or waffle :)
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,663 Member
    Options
    I'm spoiled. I don't like to wait in lines anymore, so try to do as many "FAST PASSES" as you can. I don't think Disney has it, but Universal's Islands of Adventure does. Waiting for about 5 minutes in line give you more time to do stuff rather than waiting in line for hours. Yes it costs more, but paying money to just wait in long lines? I'll bite the bullet to at least get what I paid for.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • bigd66218
    bigd66218 Posts: 376 Member
    Options
    Comfortable shoes and if you have the time checkout Downtown Disney!!
  • Fizbi
    Fizbi Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Earplugs are also handy.
  • Sweets1954
    Sweets1954 Posts: 506 Member
    Options
    It's been a while since I've been to either. Drink lots of water. There are a lot of food options, you can even get fresh fruit at many places for snacks. You will do a lot of walking. I found a book on Disney, I'm not sure about Universal, and read up on the parks. That way we could pick out what we wanted to make sure to see, some of the rides have very long lines! Enjoy yourself!
  • Sweets1954
    Sweets1954 Posts: 506 Member
    Options
    I went with my sister and two kids. We had reservations at a couple restaurants for a sit down dinner but other than that we ate at the parks. We found we just weren't that hungry most of the time. We would often order a meal and share it between two of us. For breakfast we would pick up some pastries at one of the bake shops at the resort along with bottles of juice or milk. My sister is diabetic so we had a little frig in the room.
  • snowflakesav
    snowflakesav Posts: 647 Member
    Options
    You'll be walking so much. Enjoy the experience. Try the Dole whip at Universal. disney has yummy healthy snacks like ice cold watermelon, carrots and pickles. disney has tons of healthy choices.
  • kbmnurse
    kbmnurse Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    Walk, walk and more walking. Watch your portion size. Have a ball, enjoy.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    Wear a pedometer, drink lots of water.
    Eat as close to the kinds of things you'd normally choose.
    Add a few treats (the 20k steps a day will offset those treats).
  • jenniferjohnsonament
    jenniferjohnsonament Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    So for those of you who were curious.. I am back from vacation. I had a great time..enjoyed Universal more then Disney this time around due to many new rides that I thought were amazing.

I averaged 20-24K steps on most park days. I let myself have indulgences but I know I stayed more mindful then I would've if I hadn't been made more aware due to tracking!

For instance, I ate breakfast at our condo all days except one when we had character dining for breakfast. I think starting the days with a 240 calorie english muffin/peanut butter combo gave a nice start to things!

My official weigh in was a gain of only 1.4 lbs which I am pretty certain is probably at least half water/salt retention. Even if it IS actual gains...that to me is just some mindful tracking for the next week or two to get back down (although I am still in my "range" even with this gain.)

I did wear a fitbit zip pedometer and this helped me make better choices but also helped me to not be so hard on myself if my husband and I split a dessert because I could SEE my increased calorie burn!
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    So for those of you who were curious.. I am back from vacation. I had a great time..enjoyed Universal more then Disney this time around due to many new rides that I thought were amazing.

I averaged 20-24K steps on most park days. I let myself have indulgences but I know I stayed more mindful then I would've if I hadn't been made more aware due to tracking!

For instance, I ate breakfast at our condo all days except one when we had character dining for breakfast. I think starting the days with a 240 calorie english muffin/peanut butter combo gave a nice start to things!

My official weigh in was a gain of only 1.4 lbs which I am pretty certain is probably at least half water/salt retention. Even if it IS actual gains...that to me is just some mindful tracking for the next week or two to get back down (although I am still in my "range" even with this gain.)

I did wear a fitbit zip pedometer and this helped me make better choices but also helped me to not be so hard on myself if my husband and I split a dessert because I could SEE my increased calorie burn!

Not bad at all!