Cutting out salt

Options
discuss..
It was suggested by a friend that if salt is cut out completely from a diet then the body finds it easier to lose weight as your body doesn't retain so much water

Replies

• Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    suecoyston wrote: »
    discuss..
    It was suggested by a friend that if salt is cut out completely from a diet then the body finds it easier to lose weight as your body doesn't retain so much water

Yes, sodium can make you retain/hold water. Why would anyone care about losing water weight though? Fat loss is the goal.
  • beamer0821
    beamer0821 Posts: 488 Member
    Options
    i would disregard any advise or diet that suggests absolutes. i.e. eliminate or "Cut out" this or that.
  • chivalryder
    chivalryder Posts: 4,391 Member
    Options
    Nope.

Once I had a week where I was over 5000mg of sodium every day and didn't gain a pound.
  • dfranch
    dfranch Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    I've heard people suggest to reduce sodium if you have high blood pressure. I think I also heard that the 2 are not actually related.
  • leggup
    leggup Posts: 2,942 Member
    Options
    Meats and dairy have naturally occurring sodium. I understand cutting out added sodium (soups, salt added to eggs) for blood pressure reasons, but cutting out all sources of sodium would kill you. Your body needs sodium to function.
  • Dragn77
    Dragn77 Posts: 810 Member
    Options
    Also, our bodies do need salt to function...

While too much of it can cause water retention and bloating, just drink more water. Like mentioned..the goal is to lose body fat, not water. Water retention is nothing in the grand scheme of things in terms of weight loss.
  • glevinso
    glevinso Posts: 1,895 Member
    Options
    Unless you have issues with blood pressure, there is no real reason to do this. Unless you *really* like bland food I guess. Salt is an important nutrient.
  • MityMax96
    MityMax96 Posts: 5,778 Member
    Options
    You need salt in your body.

If you take in sodium, just drink more water.

Also be aware that changes in your sodium intake will result in water retention till your body evens itself out again.
  • chivalryder
    chivalryder Posts: 4,391 Member
    Options
    Also remember that your body NEEDS chloride and iodine. Two chemicals which are nearly impossible to get without eating table salt.

That being said, 2g of iodized table salt a day is enough to get you the sodium, chloride and iodine you need.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,991 Member
    Options
    It's an essential nutrient and suggesting to cut it out completely is misguided, pretty much like most suggestions to cut out any said ingredient.
  • _lyndseybrooke_
    _lyndseybrooke_ Posts: 2,561 Member
    Options
    1.) It's impossible to cut out all sodium. You can cut out table salt that you add to your meals, yes, but a lot of foods have sodium content without you adding anything to it.
    2.) As someone already stated, our bodies need sodium to function.
    3.) Excess sodium causes water retention - it has nothing to do with how much fat you lose. Drink plenty of water and the fluid retention likely won't even be noticeable on the scale.
    4.) Your friend is a moron. Never listen to this person again. Seriously.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,871 Member
    Options
    suecoyston wrote: »
    discuss..

sodium is an essential mineral for your body....also, if you workout and sweat, etc you're going to find yourself cramping up and whatnot if you're not having enough salt.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    It is virtually impossible to completely cut salt and as others have mentioned, you need some salt to function. We have reduced salt in our household as a preventative against high blood pressure.

I wonder sometimes if the low-carbers are fooling themselves in to weight loss by losing water weight, and then freaking out the first time they eat some serious carbs again. Water weight is not fat gain.

If you want to reduce your salt intake, I suggest adapting slowly. You'll be doing a lot more home cooking because most prepared foods have too much salt. My flavour enhancers include mustard, garlic, onion, and stronger flavoured vegetables like parsnip.
  • Camo_xxx
    Camo_xxx Posts: 1,082 Member
    Options
    We don't require salt, we require sodium.
    Salt, or table salt is sodium chloride and is used as a seasoning and preservative.
    Cutting out salt is possible. don't use it and don't eat processed foods.
    Sodium on the other hand is present in many foods like vegetables and meat and in general the sodium
    from these will provide the body the required sodium it needs to function.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,991 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Camo_xxx wrote: »
    We don't require salt, we require sodium.
    Salt, or table salt is sodium chloride and is used as a seasoning and preservative.
    Cutting out salt is possible. don't use it and don't eat processed foods.
    Sodium on the other hand is present in many foods like vegetables and meat and in general the sodium
    from these will provide the body the required sodium it needs to function.
    Carrying a bag of carrots is challenging on marathon runs though. just kidding.

• ClubSilencio
    ClubSilencio Posts: 2,983 Member
    Options
    I would throw your salt away and buy Real Salt or pink himalayan salt. An unrefined salt with trace minerals.

You can use it liberally plus it tastes better and you'll end up using less of it.
  • auntstephie321
    auntstephie321 Posts: 3,586 Member
    Options
    jgnatca wrote: »

I wonder sometimes if the low-carbers are fooling themselves in to weight loss by losing water weight, and then freaking out the first time they eat some serious carbs again. Water weight is not fat gain.

Most low carbers have chosen that path as a long term lifestyle change for very specific reasons that are appropriate for them. And are well aware that fat and water are not one in the same.
  • Kimberly_Harper
    Kimberly_Harper Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    I would throw your salt away and buy Real Salt or pink himalayan salt. An unrefined salt with trace minerals.

You can use it liberally plus it tastes better and you'll end up using less of it.

Celtic Sea Salt goes in that category, too. WOW the first time I used it I almost had to throw the whole batch of food away it was so salty.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Stbarber1 wrote: »
    Most low carbers have chosen that path as a long term lifestyle change for very specific reasons that are appropriate for them. And are well aware that fat and water are not one in the same.

Then why do I see posts where low carbers claim they can't start eating carbs again because they gain weight right away?

I'd likely be kinder to the low-carb trend if it wasn't so.....trendy.
  • auntstephie321
    auntstephie321 Posts: 3,586 Member
    Options
    jgnatca wrote: »
    Stbarber1 wrote: »

Then why do I see posts where low carbers claim they can't start eating carbs again because they gain weight right away?

I'd likely be kinder to the low-carb trend if it wasn't so.....trendy.

Why be unfriendly towards another's way of eating whether it's trendy or not?

Do those posts you mention say they will gain "weight" or "fat"?