Does this sound right?

Options
So I recently bought and was using Mynetdiary (very similar to myfitnesspal). When I enter in all my information it tells me I need to aim at consuming 2800 calories per day (to achieve a 2lb/week loss.

When I plug the same variables into Myfitnesspal however, it tells me I need to ingest no more than 1880 calories!

That's a huge difference!

How can two programs be so totally off? Which one is right? I was hoping someone here has some experience here to point me towards the right app.

For interest sake my details are:
Current weight: 265lb (120kg)
Height: 6"7' (200cm)
Target weight: 110kg
Sedentary lifestyle
Male

Any help would be greatly appreciated...

Thanks,
Paul

Replies

• Tryin2findme
    Options
    I'm not sure, but 2800 cals. does seem like an aweful lot for weight loss. I mean most servings are based on a 2000 cal. diet. Good luck :)
  • aanddplusoanda
    aanddplusoanda Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    MFP tells me to eat 1309 without exercise...Spark people tells me to eat anywhere from 1200-1550... I eat as many calories as I need and just make sure my net is at 1200 to lose 2 pounds a week. I eat about 1560+ but I am also burning calories with my workout so I get a net of 1200. So far MFP is really close to what I should be getting and I have lost 2 pounds a week since I changed my goals to lose more.
  • aclark6818
    aclark6818 Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    Paul,
    I'm not an expert, but since joining MFP I've lost about 20lbs. I would go by the MFP. Usually you would want to stay at 2000 calories a day wouldn't you? I have quite abit of weight to lose & MFP suggests 1730 calories--I've customized my goals and set my calories at 1650. I can't imagine that 2800 calories would help you lose weight unless you live a very active lifestyle. Hope that helps & good luck
  • costewar
    costewar Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    With the information you gave me, I just calculated your energy requirements to MAINTAIN your current weight, which gave me 3300 calories/day.

Math lesson on calories:

For every pound, there are 3500 calories.

500 calorie deficit x 7 days a week = 3500 calories = 1 pound wt. loss per week.

1000 calorie deficit x 7 days a week = 7000 calories = 2 pound wt. loss per week.

I would actually suggest manually customizing your net calories to 2300 calories/day. More than 2 lbs/wk wt. loss is not a healthy wt. loss.

Sorry if I've confused you more, but I hope this helps!