Eliminating Dairy From my Diet

Options
kerussll
kerussll Posts: 39 Member
As I've been really focusing on what I eat lately, my skin has been going crazy! I am extra oily and broken out. I have read this is a real phenomenon, and it's basically your body getting all the crap out/ hormones readjusting. Several people have recommended that cutting out dairy will help with breakouts and I'll just generally feel better. My fiancee totally cleared his skin my cutting out milk (he still eats cheese and butter occasionally) What have your experiences been when you removed dairy from your diet? What effects, and how long until you saw a difference? Up until now, I've been having about 1 glass of milk per day, cheese, especially cottage cheese quite often, and creamer in my coffee. I don't want anyone to think I'm shallow. I am more focused on health effects, but I am getting married in 3 months and I would love to have clear skin on that day!

Replies

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    I have not had dairy for nine years. My skin is the same as it was before (periodic breakouts). I have heard anecdotal reports that it helps the skin of some people.

If I wanted to make sure my skin was clear for a big event, I would probably make an appointment with a dermatologist. I don't think wanting to have clear skin is shallow. Of course, I may be saying that because I'm shallow myself. :)
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    My skin started acting up terribly thanks to stress as my wedding approached. I agree with jane's recommendation to see a dermatologist. Good luck!
  • kerussll
    kerussll Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    The only thing that has ever worked at all from a dermatologist was spironolactone, which sadly I can't be on anymore since I want to get pregnant soon. Antibiotics, all topical creams only caused irritation, made me get sunburned within minutes, and didn't help at all! So frustrating, but perhaps it's time to go back. I haven't been in a few years and there could be some new products to try.
  • Sarasmaintaining
    Sarasmaintaining Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    kerussll wrote: »
    As I've been really focusing on what I eat lately, my skin has been going crazy! I am extra oily and broken out. I have read this is a real phenomenon, and it's basically your body getting all the crap out/ hormones readjusting. Several people have recommended that cutting out dairy will help with breakouts and I'll just generally feel better. My fiancee totally cleared his skin my cutting out milk (he still eats cheese and butter occasionally) What have your experiences been when you removed dairy from your diet? What effects, and how long until you saw a difference? Up until now, I've been having about 1 glass of milk per day, cheese, especially cottage cheese quite often, and creamer in my coffee. I don't want anyone to think I'm shallow. I am more focused on health effects, but I am getting married in 3 months and I would love to have clear skin on that day!

I have a daughter who's lactose intolerant (tested negative for a full blown allergy). Because of her we have really reduced our dairy intake in our home, just because it's easier to deal with if we're all doing the same thing. I haven't noticed any difference cutting back on dairy but for her it's been life changing-her stomach issues have all but disappeared. She can tolerate cheese and yogurt pretty well, but she cannot have straight up milk or ice cream, even with a lactose pill. Those things mean an hour stay in the bathroom, along with severe cramps. Saddest thing ever-we had to cancel her last birthday party the day of, because she had a shake as part of her special birthday lunch that day. A small shake from Arbys triggered horrible bathroom issues, as well as throwing up for several hours. Worst.birthday.ever.