elliptical or treadmill?

Which is better elliptical or treadmill and why? I see a lot of people use a elliptical. Thanks

Replies

• jukyu
    jukyu Posts: 80 Member
    Better for what exactly?
  • jessicatombari
    jessicatombari Posts: 159 Member
    Depends on what your goal and fitness levels are. Elliptical is better for people who have joint pain because it puts less stress on your hips and knees whereas a treadmill really makes you feel the pain in those areas if you have it. Treadmill (assuming little to no incline) is better for muscle and fat loss whereas elliptical is better for toning and increasing muscle. Each can be altered so that they do more or less but it really depends on what you want to accomplish on these machines.
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    I like the elliptical, it seems to be easier on my joints, and the perceived effort is less, though I burn more calories.
  • xcalygrl
    xcalygrl Posts: 1,897 Member
    Depends on what you like. Pick the one you enjoy and use that one.
  • flatlndr
    flatlndr Posts: 713 Member
    For me, the elliptical, because of my knees.

For you, the one you prefer, and will stick with. Of course, you could alternate between the two.
  • tamiesue2
    tamiesue2 Posts: 149 Member
    My heart rate stays higher with less harming impact on the elliptical, burning more calories makes me happy!!
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    As said better for what? A lot of your cardio will depend on what you stick with, the duration and intensity of your workout.
  • moesis
    moesis Posts: 874 Member
    They both have advantages as previously stated by others. Due to my height I find the short stride of the elliptical to be uncomfortable. I use the treadmill with a 2% incline to simulate outdoor running.
  • AllanMisner
    AllanMisner Posts: 4,140 Member
    Both generally do the same thing and there are pros and cons to each:

Treadmill Pros
    - Lets you easily adjust difficulty (incline and speed)
    - Keeps you at a steady pace
    - Generally easy on your joints (versus running on roads or concrete)

Treadmill Cons
    - The moving belt makes it easy to hold on and cheat the work
    - Constant, droning. Not really an equivalent to running outdoors with varying condition (hills, wind, turns, etc.)

Elliptical Pros
    - You move the equipment, hard to cheat
    - You can usually adjust the stride length and tension
    - Very easy on the joints
    - Excellent for HIIT style work

Elliptical Cons
    - Not always the most natural movement pattern
    - Also not really an equivalent to running outdoors

So, the best one is the one you enjoy doing and will stick with. Or, heaven forbid, you use both in your training.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Better for what?
  • rileyes
    rileyes Posts: 1,406 Member
    I alternate. I build endurance and more strength on an elliptical. My setting makes me really push hard to keep my speed. I think my muscles (quads particularly) engage differently on an elliptical vs. a treadmill. I practice technique and endurance on the treadmill. I felt the hip and calf areas targeted when I first transitioned to the treadmill. They both seem to target the core. But I think it is good to alternate.
  • PokeyBug
    PokeyBug Posts: 482 Member
    If you're looking at which one burns the most calories, that is going to probably be the elliptical, but the treadmilll CAN compete, as long as you max out your incline. I have a very messed-up knee, so I can neither run nor use an elliptical. Believe me, that 'easier on the joints' thing everyone goes on about regarding the elliptical does NOT apply to everyone! I wish it did!

If it's possible for you to do both, why not mix it up, so you don't get bored doing your cardio?
  • freechewy
    freechewy Posts: 111 Member
    I use both - especially when I feel like I am "cheating" on the elliptical, I jump on the treadmill and push myself harder.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    I have to question, better for what? I actually run on the street and also use an elliptical. SO I have outside exercise and inside exercise (for cardio)..
  • I very much prefer my treadmill. I am extraordinarily uncoordinated and feel awkward on the elliptical. It's just a matter of preference though.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    my-gym_road.png
  • wilder0902
    wilder0902 Posts: 22 Member
    Guess I should have said which do you prefer? Thank you :) just getting started with all of this. I don't know much about fitness or nutrition. Just trying to get a idea of which one I should purchase. With two kids 3 and 5 months I can't always get outside when I want to.
  • crystalflame
    crystalflame Posts: 1,049 Member
    Just wanted to point out that ellipticals *can* overestimate your calorie burn by up to 40%, so if you're getting your calorie burn from the number the machine spits out, it might be very inaccurate. Treadmills overestimate too, but it's easier to check the accuracy using formulas for walking/running calories burned that you can find online. Based on my HRM readings for 30 minutes of steady-state exercise, I always burn more running on a treadmill than I do using an elliptical. Which machine you use is determined by your goals and ability, one is not inherently better than the other.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,865 Member
    I personally would prefer running outdoors or occasionally using a treadmill when necessary, but unfortunately I have some foot issues that keep me from doing too much running. I can do a little and the treadmill unfortunately works best as it is more forgiving but I really dislike using these machines...I find them boring.

I mostly cycle so it isn't a huge deal except when the weather is cold/bad I have a secondary gym I use for cardio only and I often end up on the elliptical. It's good for moving and getting some cardio in, but unfortunately it doesn't really translate into you getting better at something like running on the treadmill would.
  • wilder0902
    Which elliptical do you guys use?
  • rileyes
    LifeFitness X3o
  • wilder0902
    Thank you
  • VanillaGorillaUK
    VanillaGorillaUK Posts: 342 Member
    Everyone prefers the elliptical - it's easier :)

Both are good.
  • Meganthedogmom
    Meganthedogmom Posts: 1,639 Member
    I definitely prefer the elliptical, I feel like I get a better workout and start sweating and feeling it quicker than I do with the treadmill. I can also alternate, going backwards and forwards to change it and work different muscles. Also the treadmill kills my shins, I can feel it days afterwards.
    I will change it up every once in a while though, if I am getting bored with the elliptical I might do the treadmill or the arc trainer.
  • rileyes
    @KILLEmALL --it's only as easy as you make it. "Go for the kill." But definitely easier on the joints.
  • PokeyBug
    PokeyBug Posts: 482 Member
    wilder0902 wrote: »
    Guess I should have said which do you prefer? Thank you :) just getting started with all of this. I don't know much about fitness or nutrition. Just trying to get a idea of which one I should purchase. With two kids 3 and 5 months I can't always get outside when I want to.

If you've never used one of these machines before, I would recommend trying them out for a couple of workouts, to see which you prefer. I have learned in the past few years that the best exercise is the one you will actually like doing. Can you fake like you're considering joining a gym? I've never been to one that didn't let you work out for free at least once before joining. Anytime Fitness lets you work out for up to 7 days for free, which should be more than enough time to decide which you prefer. Anytime Fitness

You can also use your kids for exercise. When mine were 2 and newborn, I used to take them out in a kind of cool double stroller. I forget what it was called, but it allowed the baby to sit in the stroller and the older child to choose to walk beside me or to stand on a platform and be pushed with her sister. I found mine for $15 at a local thrift store while I was pregnant with #2, but I found this one at Wal-Mart for $115, because probably no one will ever be as lucky as I was when I found that stroller for so cheap, Graco Room for 2.

All that being said, I think that an essential part of working out is doing some sort of resistance exercise, in addition to the cardio. My joint injuries don't allow me to lift weights, so I do something called Callanetics, which is basically a body weight exercise that is very gentle on the joints. It doesn't appear that you'd have the kinds of restrictions I have, so think about what you're most interested in trying and see if you can figure out a way to do it. If you don't have any clue about different resistance exercises, there are lots of people on these forums with lots of good suggestions. Many feel that their way is the mega-ultra-best way and no other way will work for anyone, lol, but my suggestion to you is to try everything that interests you, if you can, and choose whichever you can make fit your schedule and do regularly.

Good luck to you on figuring it out!
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Rower/ Erg/Concept 2 for full body workout.

Mralex youll find the recumbent is good for support, but it burns fewer calories.
  • DM01234
    DM01234 Posts: 317 Member
    999tigger wrote: »
    Rower/ Erg/Concept 2 for full body workout.

Mralex youll find the recumbent is good for support, but it burns fewer calories.

For sure, a very over looked piece of gear. I have a C2 rower and a treadmill. Love them both for different reasons.
  • wilder0902
    Thank you guys. I've been looking at both online and still haven't made a decision. The only problem I have with getting to the gym to even try out equipment is that I have no one to watch the kids. Their dad works grave yard and sleeps most of the day. I have been taking them for walks but my oldest likes to walk not sit/stand in the stroller you mentioned. We live in a good neighborhood but no side walks lol!! Lots of cars speed on the road because its right outside city limits it makes me nervous. I would also like something for the days I can't get out winter/rain. Thank you for the suggestions though.