Major weight loss/ will I need surgery after.

Options
stablehounder
stablehounder Posts: 2 Member
edited April 2015 in Success Stories
Hi I am 21 and I am on a journey to lose 110 lbs. My question is will my skin tighten up naturally after a while with dry brushing and working out or will I always have saggy skin unless I get surgery. Looking for answers from people that have lost and had experience with this. TIA!

Replies

• kristenlarkin
    kristenlarkin Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    I think since you are 21, you will probably going to be ok. Everyone is different though.
  • wrenegade64
    wrenegade64 Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    Age is definately on your side, however, how heavy your are now, where the bulk of your weight is, how much you have to lose, and how you go about losing it all plays into it all.
  • decotterell
    decotterell Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I'm 48, and lost 60 pounds to get to what I think is a good weight for me. Everyone is different, but your on the right track not waiting until your my age. As far as surgery, I think over time the skin should tighten up. Your doctor would have a better answer. I haven't talked to mine yet either, though.
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Genetics, age, how fast you lose weight (apparently faster loss can make it worse), etc are all factors that determine that. No one will be able to tell you whether or not you will need it.

I think I'm pretty lucky. I have lost 115lbs and this is what my stomach looks like (I'm 25):

***give me a few minutes...going to go take a few pics****

Edit:
    This pic is from 4/13 I think...
    d8x7ttaj6iyj.jpg
    All the pics in this collage are from today except for the center top photo which was last night
    zfqar2a5h8xf.jpg
  • mom2my4boys
    mom2my4boys Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    I agree with everyone else that said dozens of factors involved will determine weather or not you will need or want surgery. We cannot give you the answers your looking for. My stomach looks similar to the girl above. For reference, im 33yrs old, have been overweight my whole life and I've lost 103lbs in about 15months. (I also had 4 babies, including a set of big twins, back to back in my early twenties)

I stay well hydrated, slather myself in bio-oil and lift weights trying to minimize the damage. My plan for swim suit season is to buy one of the high waisted 50's style, 2 piece suits that are all the rage. :wink:

Let's be real though...If your goal is to lose 110lbs, your going to have to commit to a couple years of this. Life style change hun. Your going to value your health so much more than a lil loose skin. Good luck to you!!!
  • CarlydogsMom
    CarlydogsMom Posts: 645 Member
    Options
    First, you can do this! It will definitely be a commitment, but the rewards will be great. I highly, highly recommend that you do not rush your weight loss to try to lose as much weight as possible as quickly as possible. I think you will end up with the situation you're concerned with. Lift weights (and do cardio exercises) while you are in a caloric deficit, and you can maximize your fat loss, maintain as much muscle as you can, and the skin will shrink slowly and adjust. You may have some long-term issues, but your age is on your side. Just don't rush it, and you really should be OK.
  • stablehounder
    stablehounder Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Thank you all so much for your input! It is extremely helpful.
  • tretoptreece
    tretoptreece Posts: 425 Member
    Options
    Genetics, age, how fast you lose weight (apparently faster loss can make it worse), etc are all factors that determine that. No one will be able to tell you whether or not you will need it.

I think I'm pretty lucky. I have lost 115lbs and this is what my stomach looks like (I'm 25):

***give me a few minutes...going to go take a few pics****

Edit:
    This pic is from 4/13 I think...
    d8x7ttaj6iyj.jpg
    All the pics in this collage are from today except for the center top photo which was last night
    zfqar2a5h8xf.jpg

Great job!!
  • pendii
    pendii Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Lose the weight slowly and be sure to include strength training. I went from 222 to 167 and I don't really have loose skin. It took me a year and a half to lose. I'm currently trying to lose another 15 pounds so i guess we'll see what I'm like at the finish line. I'm 29 and 5'6.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!