HOW TO PROPERLY TONE!!!!!????

Options
I need help tonning. Im 5 5 use to weight 187 now 116. I really need to get rid of my pooch as well.
I was doing one day of just abs and cardio and another day of weights for arms and butt.
Someone brought it to my attention i should be eating more cause i eat idk maybe 800-1800calories
And i should do one day of weights for butt,legs,and abs, and have the next day my rest and not do cardio any more since i just need to tone. Is this correct ??!!

Replies

• Mrsallen6_11
    Mrsallen6_11 Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    To properly get muscle definition (toned) you need to lose body fat. Cardio helps with that, but so does eating at a deficit. Muscle is built by lifting weights and progressively getting heavier. You can achieve this by either a) doing bulk/cut cycles or b) by doing recomp which is eating at maintenance and lifting heavy, it also takes longer than doing bulking and cutting cycles. You don't have to completely take out cardio if you don't want to though but you do need rest days in between lifting days, so you could do cardio on the days that you don't lift.

Some of the more experienced MFP lifters can explain this better than I can though. I've only been doing recomp for a few months now.
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    First you need to stop with the weight loss. I checked your diary, and you are close to crossing the line to anorexia. You cannot build any sort of muscle this way, you need to eat at least at maintenance.
    Second, what do you like doing? Forget which spots you think need toning and forget spot specific exercises, so you can choose something that you actually like, before getting into details. Doing 30 minutes of abs exercises is just crazy, and will be no more beneficial to your abs that e.g. an hour of dancing, or doing a full body bodyweight routine or whatever else you find interest. If what you enjoy is strength training, then either join a gym and ask a trainer for help, or google for some beginner's workouts. It will be more effective and will keep you focused.
  • ironhajee
    ironhajee Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    Swimming. Yoga. Running. Weight lifting lighter and higher reps (15-20)
    This may not be the right way but it works for me

Much love
    cheers!
  • joejccva71
    joejccva71 Posts: 2,985 Member
    Options
    La la la la la la la la......

*clears throat* wait...

La la la la la la la la la la la la laaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa....

I think I have good tone.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    joejccva71 wrote: »

*clears throat* wait...

Like an angel..... :laugh:
  • AllanMisner
    AllanMisner Posts: 4,140 Member
    Options
    I’m envisioning a woman with awesome arms but no back or shoulders, an awesome midsection and butt but no legs. It hurts my head.

Full body work, compound movements, heavy, progression, patience, persistence.
  • sjohnson__1
    sjohnson__1 Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    I’m envisioning a woman with awesome arms but no back or shoulders, an awesome midsection and butt but no legs. It hurts my head..

!!!

• mirrim52
    mirrim52 Posts: 763 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »

^^^This!
    Staci is the reason I started lifting heavy.
    (Oh, but I ignore the whole paleo-pushing thing. I just eat a balanced diet with more than 1g protein per lb LBM and sufficient fat.)
  • Brittanyc1990
    Brittanyc1990 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Ok great. Ty for the advice :-)
    To properly get muscle definition (toned) you need to lose body fat. Cardio helps with that, but so does eating at a deficit. Muscle is built by lifting weights and progressively getting heavier. You can achieve this by either a) doing bulk/cut cycles or b) by doing recomp which is eating at maintenance and lifting heavy, it also takes longer than doing bulking and cutting cycles. You don't have to completely take out cardio if you don't want to though but you do need rest days in between lifting days, so you could do cardio on the days that you don't lift.

Some of the more experienced MFP lifters can explain this better than I can though. I've only been doing recomp for a few months now.

• Brittanyc1990
    Options
    Damn, being anorexic was not my plan.i really like russion twists and mainly ab workouts. Its hard for me to get in to weights cuz i cant seem to find a good video on youtube to follow.shows what i know i thought 30 mins of abs was good. Thank you.
    aggelikik wrote: »
    First you need to stop with the weight loss. I checked your diary, and you are close to crossing the line to anorexia. You cannot build any sort of muscle this way, you need to eat at least at maintenance.
    Second, what do you like doing? Forget which spots you think need toning and forget spot specific exercises, so you can choose something that you actually like, before getting into details. Doing 30 minutes of abs exercises is just crazy, and will be no more beneficial to your abs that e.g. an hour of dancing, or doing a full body bodyweight routine or whatever else you find interest. If what you enjoy is strength training, then either join a gym and ask a trainer for help, or google for some beginner's workouts. It will be more effective and will keep you focused.

• Brittanyc1990
    Options
    Good things almost warm enough to swim thank you :-)
    ironhajee wrote: »
    Swimming. Yoga. Running. Weight lifting lighter and higher reps (15-20)
    This may not be the right way but it works for me

Much love
    cheers!

• Brittanyc1990
    Options
    Lmao i would have to agree, very nice
    joejccva71 wrote: »

*clears throat* wait...

• Brittanyc1990
    Options
    Awesome thank you!!cant wait to check it out
    cwolfman13 wrote: »

• urloved33
    urloved33 Posts: 3,323 Member
    Options
    Circuit weight training is the best and simplest and most effective thing to do at this stage of the game.
  • Brittanyc1990
    Options
    Ok awesome!! Thank you!!! :-)
    urloved33 wrote: »
    Circuit weight training is the best and simplest and most effective thing to do at this stage of the game.

Thank you!! I appreciate it
    I’m envisioning a woman with awesome arms but no back or shoulders, an awesome midsection and butt but no legs. It hurts my head.