Thyroid disease, hypothyroidism

Options
Anyone else here struggle with hypothyroidism? I have Hashimotos. I'm ready to find other people trying to lose weight with this disease. Introduce yourself!

Replies

• lisahenneberry83
    lisahenneberry83 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Hi! Have you considered going ultra low carb?
  • lisahenneberry83
    Options
    The reason I ask is because I have a family member with the same thing and she went ultra low carb...sugar was a huge problem for her.....Surges of insulin that follow eating or drinking something sugary or starchy (sweet coffee drinks, desserts, bowls of pasta or rice, bread, etc.) trigger the inflammatory TH-17 activity, which promotes autoimmune flare-ups. Eating sweets throughout the day or overeating promotes insulin surges, which can be identified by symptoms of fatigue or sugar cravings immediately after eating. If you have those symptoms after eating it means you are not managing your insulin levels and your Hashimoto’s autoimmune response will be hard to tame. My family and I went ultra low carb. It has helped us with so many other issues. Just my thoughts:)
  • mrsjstone01
    mrsjstone01 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I monitor my sugar levels due to hypoglycemia. I'm certain that's not an issue for me. If anything, my sugar is too low. I dropped 13 pounds in about 7 weeks. I don't think I eat enough either. Hashimotos causes huge waves of fatigue that are TERRIBLE!
  • lisahenneberry83
    Options
    I know what you are talking about. How much sugar do you have a day? Do you eat processed foods etc? My daughter struggled with hypoglycemia as well. I finally got her on the same program as I am currently on which is ultra low carb and it's been 3 months since she has had problems. ( she is 25 :) It's so hard to find what works as everyone is different
  • mrsjstone01
    Options
    My diary is open. You're welcome to view it. I eaten little to no processed foods. I'm allowed 1,390 before exercise but usually only take in 1,000-1,150ish. I log EVERYTHING that goes in my mouth. I feel weak and physically drained today
  • lisahenneberry83
    Options
    ohh no!! I'm sorry:( I'll take a look and see if maybe I can help:) If not then there is always google! :)
  • lisahenneberry83
    Options
    ok, so right off the bat all I could see was sugar. The carb and sugar count is really high in beans, fruit,rice,bread,granola bars, oatmeal etc.... you should check out Carb Back Loading/ Carb Nite Solutions by John Kiefer.. A great website to check out is http://body.io/ There are pod casts to listen too and really wonderful information to read! It took me some time to come to really understand what I was putting into my body was wreaking SO much havoc and causing so many health issues. It was really doing a number on me. Please don't take anything I have said here as I'm being mean or anything...It's really hard to except certain things we have been taught like low fat is the way to go etc because it's just the opposite!
  • lisahenneberry83
    Options
    I hope I have given you some information you are interested in:)
  • mrsjstone01
    Options
    I hope I have given you some information you are interested in:)
    I'm not offended in any way. If I'm not eating well with this diet, what in the world should I be eating?
  • lisahenneberry83
    Options
    :) nothing low fat..lol..your body needs fats. What it does not need is alot of sugar/carbs. My diet is like this, meats like steak,fish,chicken, I drink coffee with coconut oil and heavy whipping cream, nut's are a great snack like almonds ( not the flavored kind ) I don't eat fruit because fruit sugars are the worst. I eat alot of cheese and veggies. Protein shakes are a must in my house lol There is a great website called http://www.fitlivingfoodies.com/
    Lots of great recipes! Even snack foods! I also take fish oil and a multi vitamin. I am still a work in progress! Check out the sites I told you about and let me know what you think :)
  • ChrissynKeeble
    ChrissynKeeble Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I struggle with hypothyroidism. It sucks I've gained so much weight, and have a very hard time getting rid of it...
  • lisahenneberry83
    Options
    ohhh and eat real bacon! lol
  • lisahenneberry83
    Options
    I did too :) Most of the health issues I was having have slowly gone away just from changing how I eat.
  • lisahenneberry83
    Options
    I struggle with hypothyroidism. It sucks I've gained so much weight, and have a very hard time getting rid of it...
    Ultra low Carb might be a good solution for you
  • mrsjstone01
    Options
    ohhh and eat real bacon! lol
    Hahahaha
  • Michellelynn219
    Michellelynn219 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Hi! I was diagnosed with Hashimotos in 2005, 3 months after my 1st child was born. I try to eat gluten free, dairy free as much as I can. You can add me if you like :)
  • Michellelynn219
    Michellelynn219 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    My diary is open. You're welcome to view it. I eaten little to no processed foods. I'm allowed 1,390 before exercise but usually only take in 1,000-1,150ish. I log EVERYTHING that goes in my mouth. I feel weak and physically drained today
    Have you had your Vitamin D tested? You have no stamina if you are deficient, just a thought :)

• lisahenneberry83
    Options
    agreed on the Vitamin D
  • LisaHMac72
    LisaHMac72 Posts: 1,940 Member
    Options
    My thyroid was completely out of whack from years of fertility treatments. They first said I had hoshimotos gene but turned out not. My tsh was out of control, vitamin D was 11. Started on Synthroid January 5 and prescription vit D for 13 weeks once a week. I joined nutrisystem first week of February. I gained 70 over three years of fertility drugs and thyroid. I've lost 41 pounds so far. It's been really easy. And have tons of energy so working out two to three hours a day. I'm an early riser
  • neaneacc
    neaneacc Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    I have Hashimotos too! I have also been there and done that with low iron, low vitamin d and infertility treatments. I am about 6 lbs away from my goal weight now. I've dropped from 230 to 150 for a loss of about 80 lbs in about 3 yrs struggling with diet and exercise. Currently, I workout almost daily to help keep my body functioning correctly. I noticed early on that not getting my workout high made me cranky and I didn't sleep well, which made dieting almost impossible. Personally I've gone as far as to keep a dairy to try to eliminate foods that seem to mess with my Hashimotos (I seem to have sensitivity to the following: bananas, too many starchy carbs, and anything with lots of sodium) by tracking how I felt after eating certain foods. It took a while to develop my current eating plan, but I feel like 100 x better than I used to before making the changes. Also, I give it almost an hour after I take my synthroid in the morning with a full glass of water before I eat. This has helped me to feel better too.