tall girl calories

Options
I am 5'11 and weigh 225. When I log my weight and activity on mfp it says I should be eating 1580. I thought that was a lot so I changed it to 1400 but I still feel like I won't see results with those numbers. Is anyone else in or close to that range? Should I be eating less than that?

Replies

• RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    1580 is probably right. Is your goal set to lose one pound a week? Be patient. :heart:
  • SuziAstro26
    SuziAstro26 Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    Fr Sent, Im 187 and same height as you :) My cals are at 1500 ish
  • Vixenmd1
    Vixenmd1 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    Depends on what weight loss you are going for. I am 5'9 set mine to 2 lbs from a starting weight of 207.8 with a sedentary lifestyle. It wouldn't let me do 2 lbs it lists at 1.8 with a 1200 target. I did that because I am back to running and eat a set of my 5 mile run daily so I actually eat close 1500 on average sometimes more sometimes less. If I set it to slower weight loss or a more active lifestyle it increases but I find it helps me put my shoes on to run if it is earn exercise calories.
  • bellaa_x0
    bellaa_x0 Posts: 1,062 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    I'm 5'10" and 190lbs.. eating ~1600-1800 cal/day following IIFYM
  • rockailly13
    rockailly13 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    What's IIFYM? Sorry I'm slow lol
  • rockailly13
    Options
    My aim is for 2 lbs a week so should I stay in the 1500s?
  • Talan79
    Talan79 Posts: 782 Member
    Options
    @rockailly13 http://iifym.com/tdee-calculator/

A tool to figure out your daily energy expenditure and macros.
  • hollyrayburn
    hollyrayburn Posts: 905 Member
    Options
    5'8, with about 22 pounds gone, CW is 225. I am eating 1780 a day for about 1.5 week loss.
  • kristen6350
    kristen6350 Posts: 1,094 Member
    Options
    5'11, lost 1lb/week average, on 1450. Started at 167, now at 148.
  • avskk
    avskk Posts: 1,789 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'8", 225-230, and sedentary. I eat 1500 + exercise calories and lose just fine.
  • leggup
    leggup Posts: 2,942 Member
    Options
    5'11, started at 215 lbs. Was eating 1400-1700 when I started. Now I'm at 1620, net.

Do you log all of your calories with a food scale?
  • ShannonMpls
    ShannonMpls Posts: 1,936 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    I am 5'11 and weigh 225. When I log my weight and activity on mfp it says I should be eating 1580. I thought that was a lot so I changed it to 1400 but I still feel like I won't see results with those numbers. Is anyone else in or close to that range? Should I be eating less than that?

I'm 5"11" and lost weight never eating below 1500 a day. My intake was 1600-2100/day most of the time I was losing.

And for what it's worth, I lost 120 pounds in 12 months at that intake level. It definitely was not slow weight loss.

I have now been maintaining for 2.5 years on 2500/day average (though I prefer to eat at a deficit M-F and surplus weekends, so that's how I do it).
  • DaneanP
    DaneanP Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    I'm 6 feet tall, started at 227 with a goal of losing 1 pound a week. I'm successfully losing at least that much with 1900. And I'm 50 years old. I never thought it was possible but it is. I think eating too few calories is a problem for many people on this site, maybe because they want quick weight loss. For me, that would just lead to feelings of deprivation and binge eating. And I've been suffering from that my whole adult life. Never again. Slow and steady is fine with me.
  • esjones12
    esjones12 Posts: 1,363 Member
    Options

I'm 5'8 and started at 228lbs eating 1800 some. Now at 187lbs I eat 1560.

Set your MFP to -1lb per week and learn to measure and weigh your food properly. If you do that you will lose weight and still get to eat enough so you don't feel like you are starving!
  • rainbow198
    rainbow198 Posts: 2,245 Member
    Options

I'm 5"11" and lost weight never eating below 1500 a day. My intake was 1600-2100/day most of the time I was losing.

And for what it's worth, I lost 120 pounds in 12 months at that intake level. It definitely was not slow weight loss.

I have now been maintaining for 2.5 years on 2500/day average (though I prefer to eat at a deficit M-F and surplus weekends, so that's how I do it).

Wow, I could have written this post word from word, except I lost 80 lbs in about 15 months and I've been maintaining for 2 years. I love the weekday deficits and weekend surplus and averaging 2500 calories. :smiley:

1580 sounds just right to me. Slow and steady.

• SyzygyX
    SyzygyX Posts: 189 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    5'10 here and I just upped my calories from 1560 to 1850 because I was feeling dizzy and headache-y trying to keep at or under that goal. 1460 was what MFP gave me when I signed up as sedentary, and I'd added 100 because I felt that was more manageable (I'm a slow and steady weight loss person, so I don't care how long this takes), but I hadn't changed it since I'd signed up four and a half months ago! Now that I'm working out 3-5 days a week and my TDEE is closer to 2200 calories, I really needed to up my calories. I only have about 12-15 pounds to go at this point (I've lost 5 so far), so I anticipate loss slowing down anyway; might as well get a couple more snacks in the process :tongue:

And yes, I've only consistently lost about a pound a month. I didn't have much to lose in the first place, so I'm fine with it going slowly.
  • rockailly13
    Options
    The thing is I have a lot to lose. I gained 60 at my previous job because of the stress and anguish that it caused. Then 20 more on top of that to get to my goal of 150. I am really looking to lose 2 lbs a week. I have a job where I'm on my feet and walking all day so I put lightly active. I don't understand the whole TDEE and IIFYM that some of you are talking about I also don't understand the weekday deficient or the weekend surplus that rainbow was talking about. I feel so lost, I thought I knew how to do this but now I'm seeing that I really don't :((
  • alysme
    alysme Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    OK...
    Tdee is the number of cals your body uses just to survive, breathing, heart beat, a little bit of walking, digesting food etc. This is your starring point.
    Depending on what you do in your everyday life you might need some more Cals
    Do you walk to work? Walk your dog etc?
    You shouldn't drop below your tdee for long periods (more than a day or two a week) as you'll struggle to get enough nutrients.

Iifym - if it fits your macros. As it sounds, eat what you like, as long as you hit your goals.
  • corgicake
    corgicake Posts: 846 Member
    Options
    That number sounds low, depending on what you do. I'm 5'4 and 160lbs, and to lose a pound and a half a week it sets me to 1520... unless you've got it set to sedentary -and- two pounds a week, I have no idea why it's telling you to eat so little.
  • cincysweetheart
    cincysweetheart Posts: 892 Member
    Options
    5'10"… 218 lbs. My calories are currently at 1450 to lose 1.5 a week. But that doesn't take into account exercise calories.