Free Weights vs resistance bands

Options
What is the difference between using free hand weights instead of resistance bands to build muscle? I use both on alternate days but just curious as to which is doing a better job. With the hand weights I know exactly how much weight I am lifting but with resistance bands I have no way of knowing. Any thoughts on this?

Replies

• dragonbug300
    dragonbug300 Posts: 760 Member
    Options
    Resistance bands tend to be 'lighter' than weights (unless you're lifting really light anyway) but they force you to go through a wider range of motion, so the entire muscle group plus stabilizing muscles are worked. Alternating sounds like a great way to keep your body guessing.
  • Silky815
    Silky815 Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    Resistance bands should have a weight amount on the box. Well, I just looked at the box for mine, and all it says is MEDIUM resistance. Maybe I should contact the company, and see what the weight strength for this is. Good luck finding out.
  • Silky815
    Silky815 Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    Resistance bands should have a weight amount on the box. Well, I just looked at the box for mine, and all it says is MEDIUM resistance. Maybe I should contact the company, and see what the weight strength for this is. Good luck finding out.
  • NuMe46
    NuMe46 Posts: 128
    Options
    Thanks for your info. That makes sense about the bands working the entire muscle group and the stabilizing muscles as well. I have increased my hand weights from 5 to 8 pounds and do 12 reps, 3 sets of reps for Biceps, Triceps, Upper Rows, Shoulder lifts, and Rotator cuff. Also work the same with the bands and add legs.