How to start working out while recovering from injury

Hello everyone!

I'm 27 years old and recovering from a broken fibula. My break was a year and a half ago but due to being laid off I never did physio to help my recovery. I find that I am still experiencing pain while walking and my weight gain has been unreal. A year and a half ago I weighed 135lbs and I got up to 180 after about a year. So far I've gotten myself down to 169lbs but find I'm struggling to get past this point and my weight fluctuates quite a bit. I try my hardest to stick to a good diet but working out is hard, I lose motivation when my weight goes back up a little and can't keep myself focused. I really need advice on simple workouts to do at home, maybe some suggestions to help strengthen my ankle and how to stay motivated so I can get my old body and state of health back!!

Any help would be amazing :):)

Replies

• busyPK
    busyPK Posts: 3,788 Member
    Hi! I can totally relate - I broke my fibula AND tibia just over 6 months ago. The pain was unreal and I am still recovering. I had surgery, but even now I still limp if I sit too long and get up, or do too much exercise. I gained about 25lbs. :( Jogging and high impact is out exercise wise, so I stick with the elliptical and stationary bike. My exercise motivation is still not consistent, but I take it one day at a time. I try to eat better and log all my food! Feel free to add me as a friend.
  • bladebiker
    bladebiker Posts: 133 Member
    Might be worth considering some pool work as it will take away the impact and build muscle also improve movement, also some working out with bands, been here myself after i completely inverted my left foot and sheered the talus bone away in my ankle, 2 years to get up and running which wasn't bad considering I was told initially that I'd never walk again without a stick. Luckily I had as much as I could eat physio as I was was in the military at the time.
  • adamgoleafs87
    adamgoleafs87 Posts: 129 Member
    I am sort of in the same boat. I had a back injury at work 1.5 years ago and 11 months ago I had surgery to fix that. Before that I biked consistently, played hockey and was pretty active. I am working back to being fit now after putting on about 50-60 lbs since my back injury.

I would highly suggest getting in a pool if you can, it takes so much stress off of your body while also helping to build muscle. You could start with walking and then move to biking. When I was biking the muscle I gained in my legs was insane, it would definitely help you get some muscle back in the legs and should help with the pain.
  • fangirlfitness
    fangirlfitness Posts: 7 Member
    The pool is a great idea! I never even thought about that honestly, there are lots of gyms with pools nearby I will give it a shot for sure! It sounds like you've done a lot of hard work and that is amazing!
  • bladebiker
    bladebiker Posts: 133 Member
    Another consideration that might help you out is I notice a huge difference in shoes, it could be very worth your while in checking out some good quality orthopedic insoles, that made a huge difference to me.
  • fangirlfitness
    fangirlfitness Posts: 7 Member
    Good call! I just bought new shoes that have removable insoles so I will definitely look into that, I know my posture is pretty terrible so that will probably help posture as well
  • Laura732
    Laura732 Posts: 244 Member
    Low impact exercise, most definitely. But, it might be a good idea to try out different classes at gyms. Many of them will let you try at least one class for free. Thing is, maybe its time to think out of the box a little bit. Try things that you never considered trying before. Just keep trying things until you find something that you just have to go back and do it again :smiley:
  • debrakgoogins
    debrakgoogins Posts: 2,033 Member
    If you can afford it, do your research and find a trainer with a background in sports rehab. They can help you start getting strong again and work with you to modify exercises to keep you active without re-injuring yourself.
  • lishie_rebooted
    lishie_rebooted Posts: 2,973 Member
    <broken fib checking in

It might be worthwhile going to a physiotherapist or physical trainer about your ankle pain to get some ankle strengthening ideas from them

I've sprained my ankle previously and I found the only cardio that didn't hurt it was the arc trainer.
    I hoped on my bike trainer (my outdoor bike locked in place) the other night per orders of my physical therapist and that only hurt a little bit so upright bike at the gym might be of use to you as well