muscle issues....

Options
Right ok, so i'm about 8 and half weeks into my weight loss journey. Ive lost 16lbs (yay for me) but still have another 56lbs to go.

My problem?

I have major pains up the insides of my shin/calf. - I've tried massaging them, icing them, a warm bath, a cold bath - i even had days off exercise to let the pain go. The pain isn't as bad as it was before but its still there, and it makes me feel like after starting exercise i should stop.

Now - on top of this pain, i get a pain around the rib cage.

I dont want to stop exercising - and i cant dial it down a notch cause im only doing the 30 day shred and it doesnt nacker me.....but i need to stop this pain - please can someone suggest anything ? Im sick and tired of failing

Replies

• jadeymum
    jadeymum Posts: 26
    Options
    I dont know the answer hun but bumping hoping someone else will. My knees feel buggered after day 5 only of exercising and so get your frustration. You arent failing though and you will do this.

Come on peeps whats the answer for hype?
  • jadeymum
    jadeymum Posts: 26
    Options
    Bump
  • Soooze
    Soooze Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    I had shin pain before also. It is frustrating and painful. I did some calf/shin exercises every other day, low weights to build up the muscle. Here are a few workouts:
    cable dorsi flexion: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jVFoDx07jGA&feature=grec_index
    or see this one: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zHQc9Xi0x6w&feature=grec_index

Hope that helps.
    And about the pain around the rib cage, sorry.. not sure about that one.
  • fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,310 Member
    Options
    I have the same. It is a posterior tibialis injury http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tibialis_posterior_muscle It's the muscle and tendons that hold your arches up, and when you start improving your fitness it is very common to overwork that muscle, either by jumping, or running offroad. It is the muscle you use to stabilise your gait.

I have seen a physio a couple of times about it, and she suggested rest for a week, with non-impact exercise, like cycling or swimming. To be honest mine still hurts a few months on, but I ignore it now. It is much better for you to rest it until it heals, though, as you could be off for 6 months if you don't rest it now. Cycle, swim, elliptical are all ok. Eventually that muscle with strengthen, and the tendon grow more flexible, and it will stop bothering you.

Do you have high arches? It is more common for people with high arches.
  • Hype
    Hype Posts: 349
    Options
    No high arches :(

I may see if i can push it for 2 more weeks? I on holiday then so would love to make that the break....*sigh* thanks for your help everyone! =)
  • hllamaster
    hllamaster Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    stretching is the issue lots of it will help or get rid of it....when I was younger in school and the start of track season we all had that problem
  • 44isthenew29
    44isthenew29 Posts: 141
    Options
    If you are having pain during or after exercise, I would see your doctor and/or a physiotherapist. I've seen a physio guy for many sports related injuries and he was very helpful.
  • misslashon
    misslashon Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Epsom salt baths works wonders!
  • Hype
    Options
    Yay thank you everyone! I will give the exercises, the bath salts and streches ago - if all else fails, i guess i will rest them but really dont want too just yet!

I would try a physio, but to be honest, i cant afford to see one - and the only way i can see a free one is if it was via my drs who would probably tell me to rest and not refer me lol - very annoying!

Thanks again =D
  • fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,310 Member
    Options
    The exercise I was given for it was to stand on the edge of a step and dip your heels down over the edge of the step, stretching your ankles. You should do 15 reps, 3 times a week.
  • Hype
    Options
    Thanks - i'll give them a go tomorrow :)