Not eating enough calories

Options

Replies

• TamikaJames
    TamikaJames Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    ummmm wow. Okay. I know for a fact I'm not eating too much. I barely eat as it is during the day(hence the not eating enough calories) I'm generally under by about 2-300 calories. Yes I'm logging my food correctly although I just started on myfitness. I'm not sure why it's being said that it's a myth. Even when I am under my calories on MFP they give me a red notice(I've gotten them twice in 5 days)
  • TamikaJames
    Options
    And since I've FORCED myself to eat more calories to meet the goals I've LOST 3 lbs. So again I'm not sure why it's being called a myth.
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    Does anyone else have that problem? I don't eat enough calories during the day so my body seems to think I'm in starvation mode(As if) and holds on to my fat. Is anyone else having this issue

So your not eating enopugh calories so you can lose weight? Care to open your diary, this sounds awful.
  • TamikaJames
    Options
    999tigger wrote: »
    Does anyone else have that problem? I don't eat enough calories during the day so my body seems to think I'm in starvation mode(As if) and holds on to my fat. Is anyone else having this issue

So your not eating enopugh calories so you can lose weight? Care to open your diary, this sounds awful.

This is what was happening before I started on MFP and trust me it wasn't intentional lol. Just the demands of my business and family life I would literally sometimes not eat until 3 or 4 pm and by the time I did eat I couldn't finish a whole meal because I would get full pretty fast. But I wasn't losing weight.

• macgurlnet
    macgurlnet Posts: 1,946 Member
    Options
    ummmm wow. Okay. I know for a fact I'm not eating too much. I barely eat as it is during the day(hence the not eating enough calories) I'm generally under by about 2-300 calories. Yes I'm logging my food correctly although I just started on myfitness. I'm not sure why it's being said that it's a myth. Even when I am under my calories on MFP they give me a red notice(I've gotten them twice in 5 days)

Are you using a food scale to measure you solids/semi-solids (like peanut butter)?

~Lyssa
  • TamikaJames
    Options
    macgurlnet wrote: »

Are you using a food scale to measure you solids/semi-solids (like peanut butter)?

~Lyssa

I don't eat peanut butter lol. And no I'm not. I'm measuring my food by cup sizes

• RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    Who flagged the gifs?

And BTW OP, starvation mode is not what it is called.

• 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options

This is what was happening before I started on MFP and trust me it wasn't intentional lol. Just the demands of my business and family life I would literally sometimes not eat until 3 or 4 pm and by the time I did eat I couldn't finish a whole meal because I would get full pretty fast. But I wasn't losing weight.

How did you gain weight in the first place, was that by eating too little or is there a certain level of calories at which your body understands its not in starvation mode, but it activates into weight loss? You think you are in starvation mode now and that you need to eat more to kickstart your metabolism into realising you need to lose weight? Sounds tricky, maybe you could experiment with what time you eat?
  • Justygirl77
    Justygirl77 Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    How do you know this?
    Subjective things like how you feel are important.
    But you also need to measure things....with a tape measure, measure your body in several places and keep track of changes weekly.
    Measure your bodyfat%, weight, blood sugar fasting and 2hours post meal, your BMR, log your food intake, weigh your food, track your calorie expenditure over a 24hr period using a fitbit or similar.
    Track other things you might think of and be concerned about, like how well you are sleeping....this definitely affects your metabolism and how your body responds to your program.
    Track all the changes in these measurements regularly so that you can see how your body responds to what you are doing.
    You are drawing a conclusion, but I don't know what data you are using.

What do you mean when you say starvation mode...what are you referring to?
    Starvation is so extreme, and it would literally take weeks to months w/o food to get to that point, depending on how much bodyfat you have.

Do you mean that you are concerned about your metabolism? This is a legitimate concern, but you can only know if you are negatively affecting your metabolism by MEASURING things, including blood tests of all your sex hormones....which is a very good thing to measure BTW. Go to the doctor and have blood tests ordered so that you can know where you stand and have peace of mind.
  • maidentl
    maidentl Posts: 3,203 Member
    Options
    And since I've FORCED myself to eat more calories to meet the goals I've LOST 3 lbs. So again I'm not sure why it's being called a myth.

Because it's scientifically impossible.
  • jnv7594
    jnv7594 Posts: 983 Member
    Options
    rainbowbow wrote: »
    No one has that problem.

If you're not losing weight, you are eating too much. period.

^^^This. You're not in starvation mode.

• macgurlnet
    macgurlnet Posts: 1,946 Member
    Options
    macgurlnet wrote: »

~Lyssa

I don't eat peanut butter lol. And no I'm not. I'm measuring my food by cup sizes

Then I guarantee you are eating more than you think. Get a food scale, weigh everything in grams (or ounces when grams aren't listed) and weigh ONLY liquids in cups.

I'm sure you'll see the calorie number climb up.

~Lyssa
  • TamikaJames
    Options

How did you gain weight in the first place, was that by eating too little or is there a certain level of calories at which your body understands its not in starvation mode, but it activates into weight loss? You think you are in starvation mode now and that you need to eat more to kickstart your metabolism into realising you need to lose weight? Sounds tricky, maybe you could experiment with what time you eat?
    I'm honestly not sure. I know for a fact that I'm eating more now than I was before I decided I needed to lose the weight. I was barely eating twice a day before. Now, even if it's just some fruit, I make sure I eat breakfast and at least dinner. I may skip lunch.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    Unless you look like you're starving, you're not in starvation mode.

Guaranteed.
  • TamikaJames
    Options
    How do you know this?
    Subjective things like how you feel are important.
    But you also need to measure things....with a tape measure, measure your body in several places and keep track of changes weekly.
    Measure your bodyfat%, weight, blood sugar fasting and 2hours post meal, your BMR, log your food intake, weigh your food, track your calorie expenditure over a 24hr period using a fitbit or similar.
    Track other things you might think of and be concerned about, like how well you are sleeping....this definitely affects your metabolism and how your body responds to your program.
    Track all the changes in these measurements regularly so that you can see how your body responds to what you are doing.
    You are drawing a conclusion, but I don't know what data you are using.

What do you mean when you say starvation mode...what are you referring to?
    Starvation is so extreme, and it would literally take weeks to months w/o food to get to that point, depending on how much bodyfat you have.

Do you mean that you are concerned about your metabolism? This is a legitimate concern, but you can only know if you are negatively affecting your metabolism by MEASURING things, including blood tests of all your sex hormones....which is a very good thing to measure BTW. Go to the doctor and have blood tests ordered so that you can know where you stand and have peace of mind.
    It's possible it's my metabolism. It seems to have picked up once I started eating more
  • jnv7594
    Options

I'm honestly not sure. I know for a fact that I'm eating more now than I was before I decided I needed to lose the weight. I was barely eating twice a day before. Now, even if it's just some fruit, I make sure I eat breakfast and at least dinner. I may skip lunch.

If this was the case, you wouldn't have any weight to lose. You were/are eating more than you think.

• jnv7594
    Options
    Here...scroll to number 10, but keep in mind 1 through 9 along the way...
    http://www.acaloriecounter.com/blog/why-am-i-not-losing-weight/
  • fatcity66
    fatcity66 Posts: 1,544 Member
    Options
    SezxyStef wrote: »

I had this problem. From January to February I ate 1500 calories and lost nothing. I joined MFP & started eating the suggested 1800 calories & still didn't lose anything. I posted on here asking for advice & was basically told that there was no way I was eating too few calories & that I was probably eating too many or not counting accurately. I went ahead & increased my calories anyway to try it out & ended up losing 2.7kgs in a week! Happy about the loss but even happier that I proved a few people wrong.

tumblr_mehdeuRPwb1qgh57wo1_400.gif

tumblr_mprqdujNID1spkxqto1_500_zpsxfujskg7.gif

Hahahaha I love these threads. Is it Friday yet??
  • TamikaJames
    Options
    jnv7594 wrote: »

If this was the case, you wouldn't have any weight to lose. You were/are eating more than you think.
    No I wasn't. I'm well aware of what I wasn't eating.
  • myfatass78
    myfatass78 Posts: 411 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Ok. I don't really agree with what the OP is saying but what I have noticed with mine is this. There are some days where I get really run down and feel like crap. I will eat about 400-500 hundred calories above my TDEE (at least) to recharge. The next day the scales will have a large drop. I just call that a bonus. I don't believe in starvation mode either.