How many calories is too many to burn in one day

Options
So I was just wondering if you can burn too many calories in a single day.

Thanks

Replies

• _JEFF_B
    _JEFF_B Posts: 3
    Options
    Bump
  • DrBorkBork
    DrBorkBork Posts: 4,099 Member
    Options
    bump
  • merrillfoster
    merrillfoster Posts: 855 Member
    Options
    My guess would be that there is no limit to what is healthy to burn as long as you eat them back. SO, if you can't eat back 2000 calories (on top of what you normally get), don't burn 2000.
  • RCMILLER2
    RCMILLER2 Posts: 38
    Options
    :smile: I dont understand this whole "bump" thing, sorry if that makes me a dork but I dont
  • qtpiesmom
    qtpiesmom Posts: 394 Member
    Options
    Well you have to think about it this way if you cant eat back at lease half of what your burned then its to much. If it puts you way under 1200 calories then its to much.
  • Tiggerrick
    Tiggerrick Posts: 1,078 Member
    Options
    Your body will burn as many as it needs to keep going. Some athletes burn over 5000 cals a day. If you mean how big of a calory deficit.... that's a little more difficult. MFP calculates the calorie DEFICIT you need to loose weight, so if you stay close to the calories it calculates for you, you should be able to loose weight in a safe and effective manner.
  • jrich1
    jrich1 Posts: 2,408 Member
    Options
    :smile: I dont understand this whole "bump" thing, sorry if that makes me a dork but I dont

It moves the topic back up to the top of the board to get more replies - Bump to the top
  • bluemax87
    bluemax87 Posts: 71
    Options
    The risk of burning too many calories (ie. more than you eat) is that eventually you could reach an unhealthy weight. Usually however, your body will balance out around a healthy weight. You will burn less calories/minute doing the same exercises as you continue tol lose weight because you've got less mass to move. That is, the lighter you are, the longer you will have to work out to acheive the same calorie burn. Cortisol is a stress hormone that some claim causes you to gain weight. The medical community tends to disagree, saying it has no effect on weight gain or loss.

While varying your workout routine keeps your muscles and mind fresh, burning calories is burning calories. You should monitor if you workout harder on a new workout than on the same old one- this could account for the difference in weight loss. It could just be a stall in your weight loss- persist and you'll get to your goal.

Finally, concerning metabolism- from a weightloss standpoint, it pretty much means how many calories you burn just living. Your body burns calories in all of its daily processes, the basal metabolic rate measures this. You can get your BMR calculated by a doctor or professional, but in general, the more you exercise, the more muscle mass you put on, the better your metabolism will be. Being healthy in general, ie. getting enough sleep, staying hydrated, etc. will also help to boost your metabolism.

Hope this helps!
  • ktbug82
    ktbug82 Posts: 166
    Options

Bump is what someone puts when they don't necessarily have a comment to write, but want your topic under their "my topics" so they can easily access it later instead of sorting thru all the posts.
  • jmafte
    jmafte Posts: 46
    Options
    I think a lot of that will depend on your body composition, and definitely how much you're eating, and how much exercise you do. I've seen studies that show that people who are very obese can do up to 2 hours of cardio a day safely. Obviously if you spent every day burning 4000+ calories you'd be in pretty rough shape, but well known athletes such as Michael Phelps eat 12,000 calories a day, and are in incredible shape. That being said, that is ALL he does, and obviously burns most of that off daily. So I don't think there is a real way to say what "too many calories" actually is, because it will depend on the person.
  • ShinyFraga
    ShinyFraga Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    when people "bump" a post it is just to either put it in their topics so they can come back to it later or to move it to the top of the recent posts.
  • registers
    registers Posts: 782 Member
    Options
    I remember I burned 4000 calories on 1 workout. Just pure HIT on the treadmill. Guess what??? I couldn't walk for a week after that.
  • qtpiesmom
    qtpiesmom Posts: 394 Member
    Options

Bump is something a poster does so they can find the thread easily again and BUMPS it into their memory and BUMPS the thread up
  • k2d4p
    k2d4p Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    I would think it would depend. I burned 7573 calories in one day when I climbed Mt. Fuji. It was a 14 hr ordeal and it was rediculous. I would say that it would not be healthy to do something like that on a daily basis. However, if you have a normal 1 - 2 hr workout routine every day or a few days a week, I think you can't really burn too many. You need to just do what you can and push yourself.

*My opinion*
  • falloner
    falloner Posts: 11
    Options
    As long as your body is getting the nutrients it needs to function, and your body is prepared for the amount of exercise, the sky is really the limit. I remember during the last Olympics that Michael Phelps was eating (and burning through) 12,000 calories a day while in training mode. You can see the article here http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,403803,00.html
  • lclarkjr
    lclarkjr Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    During the marathon I ran a couple weeks ago, my HRM said I burned 4,095 calories. I ate WELL the days before since I was carbo loading, and I ate WELL after the race, but there is no way I consumed all the calories I burned that week.

I honestly don't think there is a certain number of calories that is too much to burn in one day. I think it all relates to how many calories you consume in a day. Professional athletes and even elite military forces burn upwards of 10,000 calories a day during training. That is why they have to eat so much to keep fuel in the gas tank.