Curing acne by sweating!

Options
I had posted a testimony yesterday but since it had some religious content, it was blocked and locked by the moderators. My aim really was to get some feedback from others if any other MFP buddies have noticed that their acne got better by sweating vigorously? I usually sweat vigorously when I run and I feel it has helped make it better! Something I should also mention is that the shower right after the workout is important to wash away all the bacteria in the sweat, otherwise it gets worst. Also, using an over the counter topical cream (oil free) to control breakouts keeps it clear.

Anyone else tried something like this, please share... Thank you.

Replies

• lisamarie1227
    Options
    very interesting!
  • Shweedog
    Shweedog Posts: 883 Member
    Options
    I have found that my best bet for adult acne is a prescription. Daily cleansing rituals just do not cut it anymore.
  • chevy88grl
    chevy88grl Posts: 3,937 Member
    Options
    I've never had acne at all -- until I started working out. Now, my face is a hot mess. Ugh. I shower as soon as I get home from the gym and it is still a mess. It depresses me - it really does. :(
  • fivemiles
    fivemiles Posts: 14
    Options
    I am not a doctor but from personal experience what has worked for me is drinking lots of water, I drink about 2 litres (8 Cups) of water after my work out. I also try to balance out my protein intake with salads. To keep the digestive system lubricated I use butter and clarified butter a couple of times a week. Especially when I do crunches, I make sure I take butter and/or clarified butter in my breakfast. Which helps keep the dryness away. Washing off with an oil free cleanser and putting topical antibacterial ointment helps as well.

My hypothesis is that vigorous sweating helps clear the sweat glands.
  • Mmmary212
    Mmmary212 Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    I've never had that benefit, but I do know eliminating sugar does the trick. Worked for me and my 11 year old daughter. We're clear here now!
  • MissKim
    MissKim Posts: 2,853 Member
    Options
    I had posted a testimony yesterday but since it had some religious content, it was blocked and locked by the moderators. My aim really was to get some feedback from others if any other MFP buddies have noticed that their acne got better by sweating vigorously? I usually sweat vigorously when I run and I feel it has helped make it better! Something I should also mention is that the shower right after the workout is important to wash away all the bacteria in the sweat, otherwise it gets worst. Also, using an over the counter topical cream (oil free) to control breakouts keeps it clear.

It works b/c sweating gets the toxins out of your body ;) also, not putting toxins in your body helps! I've cleared my acne up with my diet along with working out. eating clean healthy foods will help too! I had it bad, and now, nothing, not one bump. I think dairy was my worse culprit.
  • wewon
    wewon Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    I've experienced the exact same thing as the OP, also I am not a doctor so this is just my personal anecdote.

I think that the heavy sweating and drinking lots of water must be "cleansing" for the body.
  • 1sisrat
    1sisrat Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    in the past few months i've started getting acne on my shoulders and chest more than I have ever before. I have always worked out regularly (4 miles running every other day and weights in between). My only geus is that Since I went off the pill 3 months ago my body is going crazy getting back to normal hormone levels.
  • jane130
    jane130 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I've heard before that sweating helps with acne, and I think it has helped with mine. If I go a week without working out, I'm sure to see a breakout in the future.

I'm not sure why it work, I guess it opens up the pores and the sweat clears out any clogs?
  • fivemiles
    Options
    Wow, lots of good info coming out, I am glad to see it has worked for others and I am more enthused about this regime now. Thank you everyone for sharing.
  • fivemiles
    Options

It works b/c sweating gets the toxins out of your body ;) also, not putting toxins in your body helps! I've cleared my acne up with my diet along with working out. eating clean healthy foods will help too! I had it bad, and now, nothing, not one bump. I think dairy was my worse culprit.

Do you use any topical creams at all?
  • calliope_music
    calliope_music Posts: 1,242 Member
    Options
    nope, my skin gets better when i sweat more! it's weird. i do use topical creams (just Clearisil) and take birth control pills, but i find that if i sort of sweat my toxins out and wash my face immediately after, my skin looks nicer the next day.