Frustrated what is realistic weight loss

Options
rissana8
rissana8 Posts: 5 Member
I started watching what I was eating and exercising 2 months ago. I have lost a few pounds but not seeing much difference. I have researched and researched. I calculated my BMR and believe I am eating at a deficit. It just seems like a lot of work and no results. I am walking/jogging 2-4 miles 6 days a week. Doing a 10 minute abs and 20 minute HIIT video in the mornings 6 days a week and either yoga or resistance bands video 6 nights a week. I am 44 years old, five foot one and started out weighing 169. I don't want to give up just feel like I am not getting the results I should. Any suggestions? I log everything I eat.

Replies

• Emilia777
    Emilia777 Posts: 978 Member
    Options
    Do you weigh the food you eat, or just use cups/eyeball? Do you eat back your exercise calories? How many calories do you eat every day? What is your weight loss goal, current weight, rate of loss?

The problem is usually inaccurate logging: as long as you maintain a deficit, you will definitely lose weight, so don’t feel discouraged.
  • tiptoethruthetulips
    tiptoethruthetulips Posts: 3,365 Member
    Options
    Your profile indicates you have lost 7lbs over 8 weeks, that's pretty good...reasonable average weight loss for someone your weight is probably 1lb a week, you are not far off that.

You don't say how many calories you are actually eating, perhaps if you opened your food diary, people can provide advice, but you are doing pretty well already. Impatience to achieve unreasonable goals leads to frustration and disappointment which in turn often leads people to give up.
  • ShannonMK9
    ShannonMK9 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I have heard that the recommended weight lost, that is sustainable is about 1 pound per week, with being down 7 pounds in 2 months you are doing a good job :smile:
    For faster weight loss you would need to weigh and measure all your food so have exact serving sizes for calories consumed and need a heart rate monitor to more accurately gauge how many calories burned during the workouts, so that you can create the calorie deficit needed for weight loss.
    Tip though, do not focus just on the scale as when you work out you build muscle and it can make it look like not seeing weight loss, while still having fat and inches loss.
  • rissana8
    Options
    Thanks for the feed back. I do weigh my food. I do not eat back my exercise calories. I was eating 1000 to 1100 calories but saw on here how to calculate BMR and upped it to 1200. I read something that said to eat more carbs. Just information overload!!! I don't m ow if I am doing the right things. According to BMI calculator I should weigh 130 or under.
  • rissana8
    Options
    I will try to open diary, didn't realize it was blocked. Thank you
  • rissana8
    Options
    I opened my diary. I am probably looking for unrealistic results. I just changed my eating (and drinking) so drastically I felt like I should be losing faster. Thanks
  • princess7955
    princess7955 Posts: 1,277 Member
    Options
    are you measuring yourself? Even though the scale isn't moving fast enough, maybe you're losing inches? But congrats on the 7 lbs loss!
  • Anita_Newbody
    Anita_Newbody Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Rissana, I am 5"0 even steven. I am a tad bit older at 46 and started out at 162. So I know what your going through. I am a super slow loser, and it has taken me a year to lose 35 pounds. I am not at the official goal that the websites say I am suppose to be at, but I am at 127 right now. Yes it took me a year, but the year flew by and I have enjoyed seeing myself get healthier. As have my Dr.s who told me at my height and age I had to lose the weight or my health would continue to diminish. So now they love me and I feel great. You can do this. I know I have been discouraged several times when I see others lose so much weight in like 3 months or so, but I didn't quit and it has really paid off.
    I have started a slow losers club board, if you want to come and join. We can complain about losing so slowly,... :smiley:
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    Realistic is eating and exercising in ways that you can stick to for good - assuming you want permanent changes and not temporary ones? :smile:

I'm about to turn 47, and I have had my best success by eating foods in proper portions, keeping an eye on my macros to make sure I'm getting proper carbs/fat/protein, and getting regular exercise. I think the two KEY things have been getting enough protein and adding weights to my workouts. I have lost more fat than I ever thought I could, and have increased my strength, endurance, and flexibility, reaching my goal weight and keeping it off for about three years now.

I pay zero attention to BMI numbers, because I feel that it really doesn't take fat vs muscle into account, just weight. And I've seen plenty of people around here who actually gained weight as they increased muscle, but looked far better than they did at the lower weight - and ultimately how I look & feel is more important than any scale or BMI chart number.

I do pay attention to my BMR and my TDEE (Total Daily Energy Expenditure), and I eat in between those numbers. My daily goal is a small percentage off of the TDEE number, and my exercise is included, so I don't eat back cals, just have the same goal every day. Easy peasy. I know I can be within 100 cals on either side of goal and I'm still below my maintenance (or TDEE) and I won't gain. On holidays, vacations, weddings, whatever - I know I can eat all the way up to my TDEE and still not gain. There's freedom in knowing what your body needs!

It takes a little research, some consistent tracking, some trial and error to find the right numbers and fine tune it all, but it's worth it. And if you're in it for life, taking a few months to dial in the numbers is nothing. But the awesome results are everything.

My little bio and progress milestones are all in my profile and my diary is open. Have a look if you like. Although I must say that I've been way under my usual goals for the past couple of weeks, eating less due to inactivity while I've been sick. On the mend though, and can't wait to get back to workouts next week!