Opinions wanted (that's a first, eh?)

Options
If a person loses 15lbs in 1 month, is that enough to put their body into starvation mode? Considering that I was 233 when I began really exercising; which, according to my BMI is at least 30lbs overweight.

Replies

• MyaPapaya75
    MyaPapaya75 Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    I think it depends on how you achieved the 30lbs....
  • lecia125
    lecia125 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    I think as long as you are eating your calorie requirements and exercising, it is very possible to lose 15 lbs in a month safely.
  • Perfectlycrooked
    Perfectlycrooked Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    Yeah, it's not really how much you lose. It's really how you're losing it!
  • idream2bgwen
    idream2bgwen Posts: 424 Member
    Options
    I weighed 240 when I started and lost 25 in 4-5 weeks. So it is doable and I did not put myself in starvation mode.
  • katheern
    katheern Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    I've lost 25 lbs in about 7 weeks and I am definitely not in starvation mode.
  • ladyhawk00
    ladyhawk00 Posts: 2,457 Member
    Options
  • slindsey137
    slindsey137 Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    I agree with the above, people lose that kind of weight safely on Biggest Loser all the time. Of course they also have doctors to keep an eye on them. Just do it right and be careful, and if you feel something is wrong, go see your doctor.
    Good job btw!!!
  • xoArielleMarieox
    Options
    I think 15 pounds is totally reasonable. Keep up the good work ;)

Ya-people on biggest loser have lost 16/17 pounds in a WEEK. How? I have nooo idea.
  • Irene8509
    Irene8509 Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    Lost 20 lbs in 6 weeks, but now I am finding I have slowed down my weight loss doing the same as before. I am revamping my routine...bump it up. So yes I believe you can.
  • jolteon00
    jolteon00 Posts: 89
    Options
    I think that's perfectly healthy if you're overweight when you begin! Just try not to get disappointed when weight loss slows down. And much of that is probably water weight from your body adjusting to a new healthy regime.

Congratulations on your loss and good luck keeping it up!
  • ladyhawk00
    ladyhawk00 Posts: 2,457 Member
    Options
    Just remember, re: Biggest Loser... They are morbidly obese and have a lot to lose. The more you have to lose, the faster it will come off (to a point.) And yes, they are monitored by doctors. That said, what you see is not necessarily "reality". Much of what they lose in the beginning when you see the really big losses is water weight. And they do....unscrupulous...things (prompted by both contestants and producers) to bring in those numbers, such as dehydrating before a weigh in, making weigh ins 10 days or even 2 weeks apart (instead of the one week they imply), not eating all of the cals they're directed to, etc. And the majority of contestants regain at least some of the weight, because they don't get a chance to develop healthy habits in the real world.

If you're not on BL, you cannot and should not expect or attempt the same things they do.
  • lclarkjr
    lclarkjr Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    It all depends on what you're doing to lose the weight. Starving yourself = bad. Hitting the gym hard and eating healthy = good. Make sure you are doing some strength training so the weight you are losing isn't just muscle mass. 15 pounds in a month for someone over 200lbs doesn't seem extreme. Just make sure you are doing it in a healthy way.
  • ZtyS89
    ZtyS89 Posts: 6
    Options
    Thanks everyone; both, for encouragement, an advice. I'm proud of my self for sticking to a routine for once instead of getting tired of it, and hitting the fridge rather than the gym because it's closer, easier, and tastier. Just want to make sure (since I'm far from being a nutrition whizz) that I'm not overdoing anything. I've just been going by what I feel like (ex: not hungry, don't scarf down on food).