Yoga Beginner - Looking For Advice

Options
Hi all.

I have been really thinking about practising yoga and making it a part of my fitness regime in the long term, to help keep me focused and keep me toned, etc.

Although I own the 2 Jillian Michaels power yoga dvds, I am a complete novice to this form of exercise.

I don't have much opportunity to get out of the house to a class so I am looking for some recommendations on the best dvds, and even books, for beginners to yoga, to help me on my way.

I am in the UK - just in case.

Thanks in advance!

Replies

• TheVirgoddess
    TheVirgoddess Posts: 4,535 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Yoga with Adriene on YouTube.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OQ6NfFIr2jw

She has yoga for beginners, a 30 day yoga challenge and all sorts of helpful, amazing stuff.
  • eseeton
    eseeton Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    ^ YES.
    I love Yoga with Adriene. I started out with her beginners videos and slowly moved into her vinyasa sessions and flows. I love her new power yoga video as well, keeps the heart rate up and is a great leg workout.
    I believe fitness blender also has yoga videos, although I've never used them.

Yoga is meant to be a life practice, so don't worry about mastering it right away. Also, the Jillian Michaels power yoga videos are much more of a workout than a yoga session - but if that is what you want, go for it!

Channeling Adriene - "Find What Feels Good!" :smiley:
  • ValkyriesCharge
    ValkyriesCharge Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I highly recommend trying to get to at least a few classes! Your body may need modifications for certain poses, and in-person feedback is really important to getting the most out of it as well as avoiding injury. Then take that feedback with you to your home practice. :)
  • sofaking6
    sofaking6 Posts: 4,589 Member
    Options
    I know one DVD that is really lovely to do - it's called "Candlelight Yoga" with Sarah Ivanhoe and it's very simple, very relaxing and she is good for saying things like "balance poses are for teaching us to laugh at ourselves" which I like since I'm a klutz.
  • erinelizabeth882
    erinelizabeth882 Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    Another vote for Yoga with Adriene. Love her!

I know you say you can't get to a class, but I strongly encourage you to consider finding a studio (or a YMCA) where you can go. Or at least, go to a beginner class so that a teacher can correct your form. A teacher's perspective and help can be really important in making sure you are helping, not hurting your body.