Gain weight and maintain flat stomach

Options
Hi All,

Ive been gaining weight successful and have found the perfect way to without feeling sick. I used to weigh 6.6stone and now weigh 7.8. I want to get 8.5 stones and I'll be happy but when I start to eat more etc. my stomach is no longer flat but fat!

How do I keep a flat stomach whilst gaining weight?

Replies

• gavyn02
    gavyn02 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    It's a catch 22. Realistically you can only put on about 2kg (5lb) of lean muscle a year. It's a very hard and long process. Get your protein intake up to 1.5g per lb of bodyweight and slowly add carbs and calories into your diet .......slowly. With regard to training start lifting some heavy weght's and incorporate high intensity intervals. That combo should set you on the right path
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    the short answer is that you cannot. Your body is not efficient enough to covert 100% of extra calories into muscle, so some of that is going to go to fat, and the typical ratio is 1:1; so a ten pound gain will mean five pounds of muscle and five pounds of fat…

are you strength training? If not, you should be.

when you get to your goal weight you can do a cuts and then strip off any excess fat...
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    gavyn02 wrote: »
    It's a catch 22. Realistically you can only put on about 2kg (5lb) of lean muscle a year. It's a very hard and long process. Get your protein intake up to 1.5g per lb of bodyweight and slowly add carbs and calories into your diet .......slowly. With regard to training start lifting some heavy weght's and incorporate high intensity intervals. That combo should set you on the right path

umm I think you mean one gram of protein per pound of lean body mass…??

based on your formula I would be consuming 270 grams of protein a day….
  • s2mikey
    s2mikey Posts: 146 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    If anyone finds out how to actually do this, please go on Shark Tank and make yourself rich :wink:

Its extremely difficult even though some websites claim it can be done. Maybe it can but it will take a loooooong time. Im in this boat right now. After losing a crapload of weight Im strength training to add back some lost muscle. Of course, I do NOT want to gain any more belly fat since I have loose skin there and probably some leftover fat hanging around too. Its freegin hard! Its like - If I have a calorie surplus my body LOVES to store fat in my lower stomach region. But, Its hard to add bulk if I keep the calories at maint. levels.

Bleh... the human body sucks. :disappointed:
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    s2mikey wrote: »
    Bleh... the human body sucks. :disappointed:

I'm constantly torn on this. 1.) I'm a woman- and it's heart breaking to sit on the bench between sets and watch guys pump out rep after rep of weight I can barely squat- or more on THE BENCH.

It's literally heart breaking.

But- flip side- I can do some damn cool *kitten* with my body- and I"m constantly impressed what it allows me to push to and do- and I'm not kind to my body- I am exceedingly hard on it- so- again- torn.

Sucks.
    But kind of awesome.
  • dieselbyte
    dieselbyte Posts: 733 Member
    Options

Huh? 1.5g of protein/lbs? Why?

As @ndj1979 stated, you cannot partition your weight to only build muscle and not store fat. Depending on your body and genetics, the part of your body that is the hardest to lose weight will also generally be the first place you start to see weight gain.
  • keithcw_the_first
    keithcw_the_first Posts: 382 Member
    Options

Is this true? I've heard number closer to a half pound of LBM a week, or if you gain a pound from week to week then half of it would be fat.

That would put you at more than 5lb. a year right?
  • dieselbyte
    dieselbyte Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    MrM27 wrote: »
    Was I the only one that saw that long post from that "ectomorph" guy? It was there and now it's gone.

A little to early to be poppin Molly's, no? ;)
  • LolBroScience
    LolBroScience Posts: 4,537 Member
    Options

Why
  • terizius
    terizius Posts: 425 Member
    Options
    Oh my, another "how much muscle per year" and "how much protein" thread...
  • jmule24
    jmule24 Posts: 1,382 Member
    Options
    MrM27 wrote: »
    terizius wrote: »
    Oh my, another "how much muscle per year" and "how much protein" thread...

It never ends.

Search function.....forever broken......

• CesiumIce
    CesiumIce Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Try keto?
  • gavyn02
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »

umm I think you mean one gram of protein per pound of lean body mass…??

based on your formula I would be consuming 270 grams of protein a day….

• gavyn02
    Options
    Absolutely....but lots of people have no idea what that is unless you have access to someone who can measure your bf levels...so if you go for that rule you'll be getting a good amount of protein which is key for muscle growth. All these are just guide lines there is no hard and fast rule for everyone..it's about trial and error and what's best for your own body.....
  • gavyn02
    Options

Why

• gavyn02
    Options
    Why what lol