Looking for some competition...

Options
Nothing motivates me like competition. Knowing that I'm in the lead, that I have the upper hand, drives me to work harder, longer, and faster to achieve my goals.

I'm new to Fitness Pal, which is why I'm posting this here. What I'm looking for is anyone within the weight range of 180 lbs and up, who wants to "race to the finish" with me. That doesn't mean we won't stumble and fall along the way. It means we will follow each other's updates, revel in our personal victories and, most importantly, step up to the challenge. This invitation is for the long haul weight loss enthusiasts. When I say that I want to "lose weight," I mean I want to drop tens of pounds, not a few here and there.

My stats- 203 lbs, 20 years old, 5'3"

Friend me and the race begins.

Replies

• MsPican
    MsPican Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    This is not a competition. This is a community that helps each other lose weight.
  • MakePeasNotWar
    MakePeasNotWar Posts: 1,329 Member
    Options
    Sounds like fun; wish I could join. I love a little friendly competition :)

I bought a fitbit a while ago and when I started issuing challenges to my friends my steps went up from about 6k a day to over 20! We trash talked each other and everything; it was silly fun but serious motivation. We all stepped up our game so much and started hitting our step goals every single day. Then I stopped issuing the challenges and it went back down to 12k, lol.

Good luck finding worthy adversaries ;)

now, if you happen to have a fitbit.....
  • cacatrn
    cacatrn Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I am up for challenge but in the end it's really our own personal challenge within ourselves. I have a sore foot so my steps will be down but I can bike and do other forms of cardio until it heals. I'm hoping to change my habits and eat more raw foods and limit my calories while finding mor ways to move and be active. I refuse to buy any larger clothes. So Missy... Game on.... I'm weighing 199 last Saturday and I've been doing daily checking in. It's been a long week and I included 2 hours of gardening, limited walking and strength training. I'm your age plus your age divided by 2 plus your age again plus the square root of 16. I hope to lose 40 to 50 pounds. If I lose 5 to 6 pounds a month and change habits then it will all be good.- Catherine
  • cacatrn
    cacatrn Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I am up for challenge but in the end it's really our own personal challenge within ourselves. I have a sore foot so my steps will be down but I can bike and do other forms of cardio until it heals. I'm hoping to change my habits and eat more raw foods and limit my calories while finding mor ways to move and be active. I refuse to buy any larger clothes. So Missy... Game on.... I'm weighing 199 last Saturday and I've been doing daily checking in. It's been a long week and I included 2 hours of gardening, limited walking and strength training. I'm your age plus your age divided by 2 plus your age again plus the square root of 16. I hope to lose 40 to 50 pounds. If I lose 5 to 6 pounds a month and change habits then it will all be good.- Catherine
  • BrtnyNic0le
    BrtnyNic0le Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    sinfulgrip wrote: »
    This is not a competition. This is a community that helps each other lose weight.

Of course it isn't. Lol This is an introduction thread, for the most part. Part of my personality is being competitive and I am looking for people who will encourage me by posing a threat of "winning." This is just a way of motivating myself, it is not a strategy I force on anyone else. My "competition" will be helping me lose weight the same as anyone else's friends motivate and encourage them.
  • BrtnyNic0le
    Options
    cacatrn wrote: »

I friended you. :)
  • BrtnyNic0le
    Options
    Sounds like fun; wish I could join. I love a little friendly competition :)

I bought a fitbit a while ago and when I started issuing challenges to my friends my steps went up from about 6k a day to over 20! We trash talked each other and everything; it was silly fun but serious motivation. We all stepped up our game so much and started hitting our step goals every single day. Then I stopped issuing the challenges and it went back down to 12k, lol.

Good luck finding worthy adversaries ;)

now, if you happen to have a fitbit.....

I have never heard of "fit bit" before but it certainly sounds interesting. I think we are on the same page as far competition being a motivator, I appreciated your comment. :)
  • ypgordon36
    ypgordon36 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I'm in friend me
  • ypgordon36
    ypgordon36 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Love comp
  • thefifthhollie8123
    thefifthhollie8123 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    This is the sort of motivation I like!
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    Options
    The only person I compete against is myself. I set my own rules, my own goals and my own challenges.

Weight loss is a personal journey and someone shouldn't be made to feel like a loser or failure because someone else "beat" them.
  • BrtnyNic0le
    Options
    The only person I compete against is myself. I set my own rules, my own goals and my own challenges.

Weight loss is a personal journey and someone shouldn't be made to feel like a loser or failure because someone else "beat" them.

This is an entirely optional proposal and is intended to be friendly motivation. I'm happy for you that you can self-motivate, but I generally need more than just the voice inside my head. The fact is, no one truly "loses" unless they quit. I would never claim otherwise.
  • MakePeasNotWar
    MakePeasNotWar Posts: 1,329 Member
    Options

Who said anything about making people feel like losers? The whole point is to use the competition to motivate yourself AND others. I have lost my fair share of challenges, but you know what? I worked harder and got better results than on my own. It was fun, and I felt proud of my accomplishments.

If you don't want to compete, don't. No one is forcing you and no one has to play if they don't want to.
  • zajacmic
    zajacmic Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I love a competition as well. I weigh about 174 and my goal weight is 115. I'm 5'3 as well :)
  • Monstertrel
    Monstertrel Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I"m down with this.. helps motivate me even more.... add me!
  • tiffbeckett336
    tiffbeckett336 Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    I love this and people get motivated in different ways! If you don't like this way you should post on her thread.... But I started at 183 and now am at 167 looking to be around 140 if you want you can friend me!
  • BrtnyNic0le
    Options
    I love this and people get motivated in different ways! If you don't like this way you should post on her thread.... But I started at 183 and now am at 167 looking to be around 140 if you want you can friend me!

You're pretty far ahead of me but that just gives me hope that I can make it over the hump :) friended
  • BrtnyNic0le
    Options

That's awesome! I'm looking to hit 130 as a long term goal. Friended! :)
  • BrtnyNic0le
    Options
    I"m down with this.. helps motivate me even more.... add me!

Added :)
  • in_it_to_thin_it
    in_it_to_thin_it Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    I'm definitely a competitive person. I definitely up for someone to help push me along. I'm 28, mother of 2.
    Been here just over a week, started at 193lb, lost 3 so far. I'm 5'2 so goals are not too dissimilar to your own.
    Feel free to add me, and, well, game on lol