Not eating junk after work! It's tough to change!

Options
Seafood10
Seafood10 Posts: 8 Member
I just started my fitness plan about a week and a half ago. It's not easy when I'm tired after work to not get out the taco chips and crackers sit and sit and munch with a cup of tea. I am so out of shape and once the weather gets better I'll walk. I would like to lose at least 20 for now, and then another 20, and another! Anyone with this problem? :/

Replies

• NJbabe
    NJbabe Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    Pre-make your dinner/snacks in the morning... This way, you'd have something healthy ready to eat as soon as you come home from work. ;)
  • samjones6734
    samjones6734 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I work in a chip shop and i am able to bring home what ever i want of what is left, so i have to be mighty strong to say no and walk away but after a while it has become easier (even tho sometimes i could take a huge bite of some ones food it looks that good) preparation is key!! xx
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    Eat something after work that you enjoy

I always have around 200 calories straight after work (unless it's a gym day in which case I have it after the gym)

my go-tos are farmhouse toast, cottage cheese, tomato and avocado or similar

find yours ..
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    I work in a chip shop and i am able to bring home what ever i want of what is left, so i have to be mighty strong to say no and walk away but after a while it has become easier (even tho sometimes i could take a huge bite of some ones food it looks that good) preparation is key!! xx

Nightmare but dont you get sick if the sight and smell of them after a while?

OP its best to have around foods you cna eat such as healthier and more filling snacks because a lot of eating can be done by boredom and convenience reasons. Have the food you need available. Im a big fan of crips breads, they have the crunchy texture plus fibre and protein in them. Fruit as well is another possible go to. Just have it available.
  • allaboutthecake
    allaboutthecake Posts: 1,531 Member
    Options
    Can so relate...I could polish off a bag all by myself without even a glance. If it works for you, pre-measure & pre-log. That didn't work for me, tho. I'd just go get the bag and say screw it! So now I eat protein of some sort that takes that edge off. Sometimes its cooked, cold, part of a protein bar, a protein shake, or well...you get the idea. That has helped me.
  • samjones6734
    samjones6734 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    999tigger wrote: »

OP its best to have around foods you cna eat such as healthier and more filling snacks because a lot of eating can be done by boredom and convenience reasons. Have the food you need available. Im a big fan of crips breads, they have the crunchy texture plus fibre and protein in them. Fruit as well is another possible go to. Just have it available.

Yeah and no it didn't bother me until I made the concieous effort not to eat anything from there it's all psychological with me always want something I can't have xx
  • MattHarwoodUK
    MattHarwoodUK Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I always have this problem too - starving hungry when I get home from work! Last week I forgot my lunch (falafel wrap with humous, cucumber, spinach and mango chutney - my favourite!) and it was waiting for me in the fridge when I got home. It TOTALLY worked!

My plan is to make absolutely sure there is something waiting for me when I get home. The theory being not to feel guilty for eating, just eat the right things!
  • kbmnurse
    kbmnurse Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    Stop waiting for the "weather to get better". Get off the couch put down the chip and get moving. You won't melt.
  • lgrix
    lgrix Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    I am hungry when I get home as well, but I either force myself not to eat or I have a measured snack rather then an endless bag of goodies. Try making a cup of tea or coffee or other no calorie beverage instead of a snack. Or eat dinner earlier, when you get home and then don't snack afterwards.
  • ReynaDay01
    ReynaDay01 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    999tigger wrote: »

I have helped with a Little Debbie route and you get sick of 'em fast. The smell of cardboard and mass produced sugar cakes haunts me to this day.
  • waldronsix
    waldronsix Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Its like an alarm clock. The second I walk in the door I want to eat everything. Also while I'm watching tv at night. Tough habit to break.
  • Jim_1000
    Jim_1000 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    What you are trying to figure out is probably one of the most important factors in weight loss! I think its going to be somewhat of a different answer for each person. I usually find that if I choose a low cal snack like veggie straws I can measure them out and stop after a few hundred calories. However if I have a had a bad day this doesn't work for me (emotional eating). Perhaps a person could learn to not snack at all after dinner and just have the tea like someone suggested. Snacking has always been a big part of my life; maybe limited snacking is like telling an alcoholic to just limit their drinking to 2 drinks per day which of course would be very unproductive advice.
  • Afura
    Afura Posts: 2,054 Member
    Options
    I come from a family of snackers, so I understand. I also understand this is my weakness and I got rid of all the snack foods in my house except things I know I could eat in moderation. When my parents came they got snacks so hey had them, when they left they took it or I dumped it. It's easier now to just walk past them in the store, I even have a box of wheat thins (which I used to be able to destroy in a sitting) that I've had for so long they're probably stale. You have to accept that this is your weakness and work on it. Is it hard? Yes, but you have to make the effort to recognize these things and figure out how it's best for you to change.
    Also agree with the sentiment of not using the weather as an excuse. If you can't walk there are plenty of cardio or strength videos that you can find online to get a decent workout in. You may not enjoy it as much as running/walking, but it can do you just as much good.
  • Seafood10
    Seafood10 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for the very good advice! The ones I really like are to have an after work snack all ready and waiting. The second is not to have those munchy crunchy fattening snacks around. Maybe an ounce of cheese and a fruit. I have some pretty good workout videos. Walk Slim by Leslie Sansone. Also, easy Yoga by Peggy Cappy. I also have an elliptical so I have no excuses. I'm so glad to be on FitnessPal. It's been very, very helpful! :) I have a job where I am standing on my feet all day so I need a little R&R when I first get home. Losing weight and exercising will help me in that area, too. I'm sure my feet will feel much better, also my back. Thanks all! :o