Sugar or Sweets?

Options
Do you cut all of these out? I found some dark chocolate M&M's that are 50 pieces for 160 calories so I split them into half servings so that I can still have some chocolate on those days where I have the extra calories but am I shooting myself in the foot by not cutting out sugars and sweets?

Replies

• Losingitin2011
    Losingitin2011 Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    I didn't cut my sweets out completely, I just moderate how much I eat of them and plan for them in my day. I think of this as something I'll be doing for the rest of my life, so I figure that I don't want to give up sweets forever, so I don't.
  • crawdiddy01
    crawdiddy01 Posts: 22
    Options
    Dont cut it out! The idea is not to deprive yourself, you will just end p eventually giving in and driving yourself crazy with guilt and regret! RAther, Id say you go for a healthy lifestyle. Eat them, but in moderation! Working out and living this new lifestyle is merely to make you feel better about yourself, which depriving yourself will produce the opposite results!
  • poustotah
    poustotah Posts: 1,121 Member
    Options
    It depends. I agree with what Crawdiddy is saying however, if you get to where you want to lean out, you cut out all the sugars (like to below 20) and that will help to lean you out some. This is taking things to excess - which I tend to do a bit. But all in all, if you want the chocolate and you deprive yourself, the typical response is to binge. So have a little - not a lot!
  • superhippiechik
    superhippiechik Posts: 1,044 Member
    Options
    Moderation,Doll! I love Dark Chocolate Almonds. Yum!
  • Jess6901
    Jess6901 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Don't deprive yourself of anything. This will only lead to over-indulging later. :)
  • idream2bgwen
    idream2bgwen Posts: 424 Member
    Options
    I did not cut sweets out completely. And dark chocolate is better for you than milk. Great job portioning them out. If you change too drastically it will make it hard to stick to what you are doing. I know a lot of people have one day a week where they have a "cheat" day. I don't. However, I do have one when my body needs one. Mine is usually ever 2 weeks or so. Enjoy those dark chocolate M&M's!!! :D
  • AnnaPixie
    AnnaPixie Posts: 7,439 Member
    Options
    I didn't cut my sweets out completely, I just moderate how much I eat of them and plan for them in my day. I think of this as something I'll be doing for the rest of my life, so I figure that I don't want to give up sweets forever, so I don't.

Totally agree with this! :bigsmile:
  • guppygirl322
    guppygirl322 Posts: 408 Member
    Options
    If you have the will power to stick to only what you can have than I say do it! I think if you deprive yourself too much you tend to overdo it when you finally let yourself have some.
  • randimshaw
    randimshaw Posts: 2
    Options
    For myself, I notice that when I don't eat sweets (which is one of the HARDEST things in life for me to resist!) I don't crave them as much. The first month of trying not to eat them is really hard, but after that, my cravings for them decrease substantially. Getting enough protein every day also helps me not to crave.

I don't think people should have to completely cut anything out of his or her diet. In my opinion, balance and moderation is key.

...I still consider ice cream to be my favorite food. :)
  • fallon144
    fallon144 Posts: 40
    Options
    One of the things people don't realize about dieting is that you can eat whatever you want, as long as it's in moderation. I love sweets and I don't like dark chocolate, so I still eat my sweets but in small portions.

I love the mini size candy bars, specifically 3 musketeers (63 calories), as well as Keebler 100 calorie packs of chocolate covered pretzels. Weight watchers has 90 calorie cakes (the carrot cake is yummy!). I also enjoy ice cream or frozen yogurt as long as I eat the serving size (1/2 cup).

Basically, don't deprive yourself or you will binge and eat way more than you want to or weight loss will be a negative experience for you. Good luck!