Uncooked brown rice vs cooked brown rice

Options
i used Safeway long grain brown rice, and uncooked it says the 1/4 cup dry is 160 calories... However obviously when you cook it the amount of rice increases. So what I'm asking, should 1/4 uncooked rice be measured the same as 1/4 cooked rice? As in, after cooked, is the calories for cooked rice now 160 for the 1/4 cooked, or is it 160 for the total amount of rice after water absorption?

Replies

• juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Options
    i used Safeway long grain brown rice, and uncooked it says the 1/4 cup dry is 160 calories... However obviously when you cook it the amount of rice increases. So what I'm asking, should 1/4 uncooked rice be measured the same as 1/4 cooked rice? As in, after cooked, is the calories for cooked rice now 160 for the 1/4 cooked, or is it 160 for the total amount of rice after water absorption?

No 1/4 c uncooked is not the same as 1/4 c cooked. If the label/database is giving you calorie & nutrition info based on uncooked, then as long as you're just cooking it in water and not a stock that would add additional calories, it would be for the total amount of rice after water absorption.
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    ceoverturf wrote: »

No 1/4 c uncooked is not the same as 1/4 c cooked. If the label/database is giving you calorie & nutrition info based on uncooked, then as long as you're just cooking it in water and not a stock that would add additional calories, it would be for the total amount of rice after water absorption.

This. :)
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    ceoverturf wrote: »

This^

Pasta is going to be the same kind of thing. Measure it dry because some people like a firmer pasta...that means less water gets absorbed. Less water absorbed is a smaller measure after it's cooked.
  • Lourdesong
    Lourdesong Posts: 1,492 Member
    Options
    You should weigh your dry rice. But if you must use cups, measure the amount of dry you plan to cook, then measure your cooked rice when it's finished. The calories for the dry is the same as the calories for the cooked, though the volume will be different.

So if 1/4 dry is 160, then however much rice that produces is also 160. Let's say you get 1 cup from it. 1/4 cooked is then 40 calories. (160/4)
  • juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Options
    And I'll just throw in...

If you want to be TRULY accurate, you should be weighing the dry rice, not using measuring cups...
  • fitfabforties
    fitfabforties Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    ok....I got dizzy just reading all of those answers....lol....and this is why I no longer eat rice or pasta....
  • DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,652 Member
    Options
    The brown rice I use weighs almost exactly three times as much after cooking as before. So, now I just cook a lot at once and eat three times the weight of the dry serving amounts I want. Magic.
  • ShannonMpls
    ShannonMpls Posts: 1,936 Member
    Options
    ok....I got dizzy just reading all of those answers....lol....and this is why I no longer eat rice or pasta....

Really? It's not that hard to weigh, cook, eat.

• Looncove_Farm
    Looncove_Farm Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    Well dam! Ive been counting it cooked and not dry. I ASSUMED, (LOL) that it was cooked calories they were talking about counting.
    Well this is some kinda nice to know because I really like rice and now I know 1/2 cup cooked is not 300 calories. I thought it was a lot but didnt research it.
    THANKS for asking this.