weight lifting/strength training question

Options
OK...This is going to probably be a ridiculously stupid question. I have been trying to work on my arms lately, so I've been using my 5 pound weights to do different arm workouts. Now for the stupid question part. I have been doing 3 sets of 15 reps. 15 is the point where I push past the exhaustion point of 12 reps and do three more. Anyway...I was wondering...how long do you wait between sets? I honestly have no clue how long is too long or too short.

Replies

• bmontgomery87
    bmontgomery87 Posts: 1,260 Member
    Options
    between 1-3 minutes.

I usually wait about 1 minute or so between sets.
    Then I do a final set that is like 3 mini sets with very short rests between them. (but I vary the weight I use, so with 5 pound weights it wouldn't be reccommended)

Definately get ahold of some 7.5s and 10s in the near future. You have to progressively challenge yourself to get results
  • hush7hush
    hush7hush Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    Thanks for reminding me, I need new weights!!
  • lil_pulp
    lil_pulp Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    I work a different muscle between sets. Like I'll do one set of bicep curls, then a set of chest presses, then back to curls.
    -LP
  • jolarocknrolla
    jolarocknrolla Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    I wait 5 minutes for heavy weights (i've heard this is on the long side for recovery, but it works for me), but it also depends on the exercise.

You could probably use a heavier weight for something like a single-arm row or chest press by the way :)
  • TaekwondoRobbie
    Options
    I agree with B .. I usually wait about a minute as well between sets. You want to allow enough time for the muscle to recover to be able to perform the next set .. but not too long to allow the muscle to " cool down " and reduce blood flow that will cause injury.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    If you can do more than 12 it is time to increase the weight.
  • Goal_Seeker_1988
    Goal_Seeker_1988 Posts: 1,619 Member
    Options
    I'd try using a lil heavier weights unless you have an injury. I'd work them back to back. Ex: for me I do a shoulder exercise followered by a bicep exercise followed by a tricep exercise and I do 3 sets all together.
  • Thorneapple
    Thorneapple Posts: 154
    Options
    I've gotten some great advice and results from this book: New Rules of Lifting for Women by Lou Schuler
  • TrainingWithTonya
    TrainingWithTonya Posts: 1,741 Member
    Options
    With just 5 pounds and that many reps, you don't need but maybe 30-60 seconds rest between sets. Longer rests are for heavier weights and lower repetitions. To see better results, I'd recommend lifting the heaviest weight you can for 3-6 reps to build strength and 8-10 reps to build definition. 15 reps will build endurance, but you are training more like cardio then for strength.
  • musicgirl88
    musicgirl88 Posts: 504 Member
    Options
    At the moment 5 pounds is all I have and all I can afford! Weights are expensive!!!!! I should probably stop at 12 reps, but I push through the pain to do the 15. Maybe that's bad...maybe not..I don't know..I'm completely new to lifting weights....Thank you all for the wonderful advice!!
  • Swimgoddess
    Swimgoddess Posts: 711 Member
    Options
    I work a different muscle between sets. Like I'll do one set of bicep curls, then a set of chest presses, then back to curls.
    -LP

^THIS! Everything I do is in a small circuit so I am almost always moving. It keeps my heart rate up and I can get WAY more variety crammed into an hour that way.
  • live4turns
    live4turns Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    -LP

similar to this-

I'll do a set and the quickly do a set of the opposite muscle group, and then take a 2 min. break. For example, I'll bench press, then T-bar, rest.
  • elarge
    elarge Posts: 5
    Options
    my personal trainer told me to wait 30 seconds
  • mrsyac2
    mrsyac2 Posts: 2,784 Member
    Options
    I wait about 30 sec or when my Heart rate starts to drop then I know it's time for another set which ever comes first.
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    Seems like I've heard 30 seconds is the minimum. Instead of buying more weights, you could try doubling them up and doing one arm at a time. Another thing to try is doing a slow controlled movement that gets deeper into the muscle. Really think about the muscle you're using and make sure your posture is correct.

I do a whole bunch of lifting exercises in a row like others have said. I'll do biceps, triceps, chest, shoulders, squats and deadlifts then start over and do it all again at least once.
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,239 Member
    Options
    At the moment 5 pounds is all I have and all I can afford! Weights are expensive!!!!! I should probably stop at 12 reps, but I push through the pain to do the 15. Maybe that's bad...maybe not..I don't know..I'm completely new to lifting weights....Thank you all for the wonderful advice!!

There is nothing wrong with pushing through the discomfort, but you can still do 15 reps and not reach failure. Failure is not when you have discomfort, but when you cannot complete another repetition no matter how hard you try. I agree with people above, you will need to increase the amount of weight. I know weights are expensive, but you might be well served looking on craigslist, kijiji and other advertisement sites. I got a good set of 20, 25, 30, 35 pound dumbells through freecycle for free. Look around. A good thing would be a weight set where you can change the weights on a dumbell handle.
  • lil_pulp
    lil_pulp Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    It's ok to "push through the pain" but make sure that your form is still good. You'll be doing more harm than good if you do a bunch of reps with bad form just because you want to do a certain number. If someone's around, they might be able to watch you and tell you if your form starts to suffer.
    -LP
  • jolarocknrolla
    jolarocknrolla Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    oh, i second looking on Craigslist for cheap dumbbells! you might also have a used sports equipment store in your area, check it out! (my husband found some dumbbells in the alley once, lol, we cleaned them up and now they are a part of our "ghetto" home gym)
  • mrsyac2
    mrsyac2 Posts: 2,784 Member
    Options
    I would also go heavier If you can carry a gallon of milk then you can lift heavier weight than 5lbs.
  • jane130
    jane130 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I usually wait 30-45 seconds. Its best not to let your heart rate drop, and your muscles only need a brief rest.

Probably time to increase the weight, look around the house and see if you can find anything. Try and get creative, use water or milk jugs if possible. Have someone push down on the weights against you to make it harder.