Replies

• Melodycollazo22
    Melodycollazo22 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Thank u :)
  • sbogstad
    sbogstad Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Chicken taco's (Recent Thread). They're my fav. "go to" meal, with room to spare (mine end up being ~247 cal, but very basic).
  • SunflowerCat74
    SunflowerCat74 Posts: 258 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Here are two cookbooks I love that have great recipes for hearty meals.
    Cooking Light: Comfort Food
    Americas Test Kitchen: Comfort Food Makeovers

I do better with cookbooks unless I know exactly what I want to make. Both can be found on Amazon for pretty cheap.
  • kimw91
    kimw91 Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    Bolognese with extra lean ground beef (100gr) and plenty of veg over zoodles or a mix of zoodles and spaghetti
    Ground chicken (100gr) burger on a wholewheat soft bun (120cal) with ketchup, tzatziki and carrot fries
    Canned tuna pasta (tuna, tomato sauce, penne, broccoli, red onion)
    Chicken tagine (chicken breast, Moroccan spiced tomato sauce, courgette, eggplant, pumpkin, red onion, chickpeas, dried fruit)
    Meatballs (125-150gr extra lean ground beef) over cauliflower/celeriac mash

TBH, most of my dinners are under 500cals at least on rest days, my diary's open.
  • Melodycollazo22
    Options
    Thank U guys i will deff try it out :)
  • mistikal13
    mistikal13 Posts: 1,457 Member
    Options
    Baked Potatoes with all sorts of toppings! A fave of ours is taco meat, sour cream, salsa and avocado.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    6 ounces (raw weight) grilled cod - 140 calories
    1/4 cup dry serving brown rice - 160 calories
    85 grams steamed broccoli - 30 calories
    Total - 330 calories

There's a ton you can do under 500 calories.
  • Melodycollazo22
    Options
    mistikal13 wrote: »
    Baked Potatoes with all sorts of toppings! A fave of ours is taco meat, sour cream, salsa and avocado.

That sounds so good i never tried that before thank u i can deff make this next week
  • Melodycollazo22
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    6 ounces (raw weight) grilled cod - 140 calories
    1/4 cup dry serving brown rice - 160 calories
    85 grams steamed broccoli - 30 calories
    Total - 330 calories

There's a ton you can do under 500 calories.

Thank u :)
  • FitFunTina
    FitFunTina Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    "Unstuffed cabbage". it uses turkey sausage. You can do regular ground turkey, too, but I like the zing in the sausage. http://fitfuntina.com/unstuffed-cabbage/
  • ForeverSunshine09
    ForeverSunshine09 Posts: 966 Member
    Options
    Ham and bean soup- around 224 cals a big bowl
    Anniversary Chicken- depends on size of chicken breast. I use thin sliced so most of mine are 4-5 ounces
    Beef strognaff- 383 cals
    Breaded Chicken tenders(homemade)- 366 for 8 ounces are about 3 decent size strips.
    Cheeseburger-400-500 cals
  • Queenmunchy
    Queenmunchy Posts: 3,380 Member
    Options
    If you're looking for meals, some great resources are
    Www.skinnytaste.com
    Www.cookinglight.com
    Www.eatingwell.com
    Www.slenderkitchen.com.

Check out skinny taste first. At any of the first three you can pretty much search for any meal you want made in a slightly healthier way. After a while you can make anything fit into your calorie range!
  • sandsofarabia
    sandsofarabia Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I love making my "200 calorie pizza". Its a low carb or low calorie tortilla, 1/4 cup of any pasta sauce (although it tastes better when you actually buy the pizza sauce that you normally find where they sell pizza crust at grocery stores), shredded chesse, and pepperoni slices. about 10-12 minutes in the oven at 350 (just keep checking to make sure your "crust" doesn't look too toasted) and its good! My personal pizzas tend to become around 200-210 calories but you can add extra ingredients or a side of 300 more calories and still be at just 500 calories without feeling hungry!

Hot dogs are also not too terrible in calories. You can get low-calorie buns (usually labled as "lite" buns) if you spend a little more time in the bread isle reading all the lables... and then voila! Most condaments are pretty low in calorie too. But the actual amount of calories will depend on how many calories are in the bun

I love making my own "taco salad" which is just taco meat, low-fat sour cream, cheese, pico de gallo, ect without any shells. It's pretty good and I normally just make my meat all at once (I just buy ground up beef and put it on a pan and then add taco seasoning). You will have to count the calories individually but mine came out to be not that many calories (definitely under 500 a night).

I don't know about you but I usually also get lazy at dinner sometimes and will just pour myself a cup of cereal and a cup of milk and call it a day which would be less than 500 calories.

Another really interesting fact that you may or may not like is this thing called "shirataki noodles". Its this vegetable that is shaped like and tastes like pasta. Its a bit strange in texture but it's 0-10 calories for a whole serving of it. In which you can really overdo the sauce and still have a lot more room to eat other things. Its a bit pricey (about 1 dollar per serving.. and each bag usually only has 2 servings-worth) so if you were to want to try this only buy one bag at first as see if you like it. You can look it up if you are interested and people make so many different recepies out of it or just add it with their pasta so its more filling for the little amount they use.
  • Klhernandez81
    Klhernandez81 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Ground turkey meatloaf with a side of mashed cauliflower and mixed spring salad. I leave the breadcrumbs out of the meatloaf and the oil out of both.
    http://www.myrecipes.com/m/recipe/turkey-meatloaf-0
    http://m.skinnyms.com/garlic-mashed-cauliflower/
  • annette_15
    annette_15 Posts: 1,657 Member
    Options
    Pretty much anything can be made into a 500 calorie or less meal with some modifications and smaller portions
  • TsaiHo
    TsaiHo Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Moroccan chicken tagine! It's amazingly low in calories and pretty filling. Just google the recipe. It's basically a kind of chicken stew. You can use a slow cooker if to make it if you have one.
  • Sundaynz
    Sundaynz Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Shakshuka - delicious, makes enough for lunch the next day as well http://toriavey.com/toris-kitchen/2010/07/summer-2010-travel-blog-shakshuka/ 140 calories a serve, team it up with some bread of some description and a salad and it's still well under 500 :)
  • morowinder
    morowinder Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Just figure out how to make non starchy weggies taste good. As they are super low on calories you can have a lot of meat to got to 500.
    Just had 500 cal dinner - 1 quarterpounder burger patty fried on pan, 2 cumberland sausages, 270g beansprouts + brocolli pack, another 100g of beansprouts, 250g radish.
    As you can imagine this is a HUGE meal, for someone who came home after 2 hours of gym. Most people I know would barely be able to finish it.
    The trick is to make veggies taste good, sure I would prefer mashed potatoes and gravy, but with enough practice you can make some that you are actually looking forward to eat.
    I fry/steam them on huge pan with lid on, adding extra water and oil. All I need for anything to taste good is salt, pepper and garlic, but you should figure out what works for you.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    morowinder wrote: »
    Just figure out how to make non starchy weggies taste good. As they are super low on calories you can have a lot of meat to got to 500.
    Just had 500 cal dinner - 1 quarterpounder burger patty fried on pan, 2 cumberland sausages, 270g beansprouts + brocolli pack, another 100g of beansprouts, 250g radish.
    As you can imagine this is a HUGE meal, for someone who came home after 2 hours of gym. Most people I know would barely be able to finish it.
    The trick is to make veggies taste good, sure I would prefer mashed potatoes and gravy, but with enough practice you can make some that you are actually looking forward to eat.
    I fry/steam them on huge pan with lid on, adding extra water and oil. All I need for anything to taste good is salt, pepper and garlic, but you should figure out what works for you.

In for weggies