Is anyone here trying to GAIN weight. I'm desperate for help

Options
Hi, my name is Rebecca and I'm new to myfitnesspal. I would really like to find some people that have similar goals. Since having my babies (three in 2 1/2 years) I am worn to the bone and am desperate to be a healthy weight. I eat a ton of food but it doesnt stick. myfitnesspal set my calorie goal at 2,165. Can't seam to get there without high fat foods but would rather eat healthily. Starting to workout but every calorie I burn it says I have to add to my calories. I need to find out how to eat a lot of calories worth of HEALTHY food. And how to work out. I love to run but thats a lot of burnt calories! I dont want to look like a man by the end of all this either. By the way, Just graduated P90X and didn't gain a single pound! FRUSTERATED!!!! Is anybody in the same boat here?!

Replies

• janicemcdonald11
    janicemcdonald11 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Have you been to the doctor...maybe it is a thyroid problem
  • Hearts_2015
    Hearts_2015 Posts: 12,031 Member
    Options
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/243877-i-m-using-this-thing-to-put-on-weight-is-anyone-else

Here's a new thread began today and there are many more threads other members looking to do the same thing have started. You can do a search under the Search feature.

You're not alone in joining MFP to gain healthy weight. :wink:
    Wishing you well:flowerforyou:
  • Missjulesdid
    Missjulesdid Posts: 1,444 Member
    Options
    I have the opposite problem but I know it's frustrating when your body does not behave the way you want.

High fat foods are not necessarily bad for you. Olive oil, natural nut butters and avocados are a great way to add healthy calories.

My brother in law has such a hard time holding onto weight and he eats all his regular meals and then drinks shakes in between meals. He adds stuff like protein powder, yogurt, bananas and nut butters to boost the calorie content.

Good luck, you'll find lots of support here from many different types of people with different health, fitness and body goals.
  • arl1997
    arl1997 Posts: 8
    Options
    I have found that snacks like mixed nuts and cheese cubes are high in calories. I eat them either with my lunch or in the afternoon.
    Both are higher in fat that a snack of vegetables or something like that but I don't eat much fat otherwise so I'm okay with the higher-fat snacks.
    I'm just trying to maintain a healthy weight and I am doing okay. When I'm low on calories I have a bigger afternoon snack. Sometimes I add cottage cheese or reduced-fat wheat thins and hummus to my snack as well.

Good luck!!
  • Tiggerrick
    Tiggerrick Posts: 1,078 Member
    Options
    Fruits have lots of natural sugars (better than processed), nuts are high in calories....yes they have fats, but they are considered healthier fats. Cheeses and dairy products add protein and a good number of calories. Protein shakes will give you plenty of calories in small packages, but they are more expensive than eating well.
  • JodinaPizzuto
    Options
    Hi, Rebecca.

I'm fairly new to myfitnesspal, too. I know that there are many healthy foods that are high in calories. Avocados, Raisins, olive oil, cheese, etc... And you can easily add calories to your regular diet by drinking 100% fruit juice when you're thirsty. I, personally, am not trying to gain weight... I'm actually trying to figure out how to maintain the weight I'm at. It's not easy -- I've lost, and now I'm having trouble getting off the losing and just maintaining without gaining. So trying to fit in enough calories has never been a problem for me. I have a tendency to love high calorie food.

Also, if part of your problem is that you're running yourself ragged after the little ones, try getting a sitter (even if it's a friend with whom you can trade favors) and getting out to relax now and then.

If all else fails and you cannot gain weight, you can always go by my old standby: A homemade brownie (with extra chocolate chips and nuts added) topped with ice cream and hot fudge. :) That'll pack on some pounds!! (Yes, I know you said you wanted to be healthy....)

Best of luck to you!!
  • jolteon00
    jolteon00 Posts: 89
    Options
    I'm not in the same boat, but I do have a few ideas for you.
    Truth is, fat has more calories per gram than protein or carbs, so more fat means more calories. Still, there are plenty of healthy ways to get these fats. Personally, I believe any fat not loaded with sugar is a good fat, but if you still believe saturated animal fats are bad for you, consider these: peanut butter, avocados, nuts of all kinds. You can start breading your meat with crushed or coarsely chopped nuts. Add avocados or guacamole to any sandwich. Cook with more oils.
    A little more research will tell you that animal fat really isn't bad for you. Fat doesn't make you fat. Sugar does. I first learned this in the documentary "Fat Head." So go ahead, melt some butter on just about everything. Have full-fat milk and cheeses. Eat fattier cuts of meat.
    I highly doubt that you'll "look like a man" at the end of this, but you can always slim down again if you bulk up too much. Definitely keep weight training in your routine.
    Best of luck :)
  • dave4d
    dave4d Posts: 1,155 Member
    Options
    The only problem with fats for most people is that they are high in calories. For you that is a good thing. The low fat craze was a fad in the 1980s. Most dieticians have come to the conclusion that going low fat, or fat free is counter productive to weight loss, since a lot of fat free products add sugar, and sugar is what your body will want to turn to fat. Nuts, omega 3 fats, olive oils, avacados, etc are all good for you, and a good way to increase your calories. Just stay away from trans fats, and you should be ok.