new to myfitnesspal and need ideas for workplace wellness pr

Options
My Job just started a wellness program and phase 1 is "drop 10 lbs in 10 weeks". As the marketing manager, I'm in charge. I've got 12 people to sign up and the first question they asked is "now what do I do?" I'm going to ask local gyms for day passes and send them here to myfitnesspal but I feel like I need to do more. Although keeping myself motivated is going to be hard enough. Any ideas? By the way, I work at a fast casual restaurant.

Replies

• michz
    michz Posts: 102
    Options
    One of the things that is totally motivating to me is the challenge groups people create on here. So they set an exercise goal for the week - last week I did one where I had to burn 3500 calories in a 7 day period. This week there is a challenge to walk 30 flights of stairs. Perhaps you can create "challenges" for your colleagues or piggy-back on what this phenomenal website and group of individuals is already doing!
  • Elleinnz
    Elleinnz Posts: 1,661 Member
    Options
    First thing is to understand which behaviours are causing your current weight - will stop you from achieving your goals....
    and then you need to build strategies / plans on how to manage those....

To me the key is planning - and then executing - just like any other business model - I am sure you have some stuff that you use from a marketing, management training perspective that can be adapted to help people....

I am at work at the moment, but send me a message if you want more thoughts and I can try and get something to you tonight (my time - I am in New Zealand)
  • Xaspar
    Xaspar Posts: 726 Member
    Options
    Weigh-ins? Measurements? 20 minute exercise challenge? 20 minutes of heart rate increasing exercise each day 5 days of a week? 300 minute challenge (300 minutes at the previous can be met in 3 weeks ... awesome mini-goal along the way to 10 in 10. Then raise it to a 600 minute challenge 30 minutes 5 times a week = 150 so 4 weeks to meet that. There are 8 weeks worth of mini goals along the way
    Or you can do a 50 in 10 challenge ... walk or run 50 miles in ten weeks (that's one mile 5 times a week

You can also do a fit test with an improvement challenge (push-ups, sit-ups, flexibility test, etc. and a the end do it again for a most improved % award)

You could also have a weekly intro session to a different type of exercise. Have each participant research a different type of exercise regime and bring in info, a guest speaker or instructor for a mini-class or something like that?

Just my brain cells working overtime... so I rambled
  • alynk
    alynk Posts: 27
    Options
    Maybe you can start a walking group, we started a few weeks ago and the ladies I work with count on me to be there. Sometimes we only walk for 15-20 minutes, but that's 20 minutes of movement!

Just meet in the same spot at the same time and start walking, I know if I'm late I just try to catch up with them!