Martial Arts training Online

Options
PayShi
PayShi Posts: 55 Member
Hey guys,

Let me first explain what I am seeking advice on. I am looking for Martial arts training online (in video format) that is easy to understand for beginners, fun, but not HYPED up. I have to admit I looked around at a couple of different videos online already and some of them were just SO hyped up that it just wasn't my style at all.

I am REALLY new to exercising but I don't want to be bored and I have an interest in martial arts but as I am a student I can't afford to dish out money for a trainer or classes or I'd go ahead and do that.

I am interested in looking at any style of martial art though I found tai chi to be kind of slow and got bored... but I am willing to try that again too!

Please no rude comments but always up for criticism and again, seeking advice and especially if anyone has used any martial arts videos online.

Thanks for your time! :)

Replies

• awkwardsoul
    awkwardsoul Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    Gracie University is really good and exceptional instruction. They got a few free videos on youtube too. I've trained at the actual in person school and the instruction is the same and many of us use the videos to study with.

You'll need a partner though as it's brazilian jiujistu.
  • kikichewie
    kikichewie Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    Where are you a student? Some universities and colleges have karate clubs you can join and train with for practically free.
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    what type of martial arts? And what is your goal? Just for fitness? I think you probably need a partner, a bag, or equiptment to make sure you're doing it properly, safely, and with good form.

You may be better suited to do something else like dancing/cardio/taebo style stuff until you can afford to get into an actual class.
  • GeorgeL583
    GeorgeL583 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Billy Blanks Tae Bo.
  • AgentOrangeJuice
    AgentOrangeJuice Posts: 1,069 Member
    Options
    As a martial arts practitioner, I was in a situation, where I wanted to learn karate, but didn't want to be the old fat guy at the dojo. I tried watching videos online and even watched Tai Chi videos. There's no replacement for what a dojo will teach you if you want practical application (bunkai) of the martial art.
  • glevinso
    glevinso Posts: 1,895 Member
    Options
    Martial arts has nothing to do with fitness. If you want to learn an actual martial art, that's great, but you aren't going to get exercise out of it for the most part. It is a great thing to learn, for sure. You will not be able to learn anything useful from a video though. I don't mean to burst your bubble but training martial arts is a hands-on process with a teacher and other students. It is impossible to learn anything useful from a video.
  • Out_of_Bubblegum
    Out_of_Bubblegum Posts: 2,220 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Ok my reply turned into a novel.

TL:DR version: Don't do it.

If you want get some exercise and learn some martial arts - check your local rec center, college, community centers, or low cost gyms to see if they have classes or cardio kickboxing class for cheap. Watch the local parks to see if groups meet there. Check Craigslist - there are usually a lot of options to learn without shelling out a ton of money.

Novel version:

I have a little experience here (Martial arts instructor for 27 years), and I have 1 student that learns online from me... I'll get back to that in a second.

I highly discourage people form learning online. There is a process for learning martial arts, and learning from video leaves some components out that are critical to have success in learning.
    Without partners to practice with it becomes nearly impossible to learn the application of technique.
    Without feedback, it is all to easy to develop bad habits in technique that can be hard to break.
    Without live demonstration, it is easy to miss critical components of a given movement.
    Add these together and it is very easy to fall into poor learning, bad form and injuries.

As an instructor who cares deeply about the welfare of my students, I cannot stress strongly enough that learning online or by video is a horrible idea.

Now why would I possibly teach someone online as I stated above?

When I was approached by a young man who frequented a MA training message board that I like to hang out in, I gave a speech much like the one above. He explained that he lives in the middle of nowhere (a tiny farming community), and the nearest school is more than 2 hour drive, but it has been his dream to learn martial arts for years.

I initially turned him away, as I did not want any student of mine to be taught half-way.

Being determined, he asked for my advice on other online programs would be best for him... I reviewed several, and came to the conclusion that it would be better for me to try and help than to let him go on his own. After much thought and planning, and with a lot of brainstorming on how to minimize some of the dangers above, I approached my instructor to get his take on the situation as well. Eventually we came up with a plan that we agreed MIGHT work... so I agreed to take him on provisionally as a student for the simple reason that I didn't want to see him pay a bunch of money to some company that would happily send him a belt certificate without having ever actually seen him train.

We came up with a method to eliminate most of these problems - I send personalized videos, he sends return videos of his practice that I then critique. We do "live" classes via webcam weekly. He practices with friends that are willing to be partners with him regularly. He puts in more work than most students, and progresses more slowly on top of it.

He has been a student now for a little over 2 years, and it works for us - but it's not just a video series that he bought online. He gets real instruction, real feedback, and real practice regularly - just not in the traditional sense.

Unless you are willing to put in 2x the work for 1/2 the results, and risk injuring yourself in the process.. look for a real class that you can afford.

• PayShi
    Options
    Thanks for all of your feedback, most of you indicate taking classes is the best option. Especially @bwmalone for taking the time to explain in full detail as an instructor. I will wait until I can afford classes - I am simply unable to at this time living on student loans. The last few years have been rough on me with a job loss and lack of income.
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    PayShi wrote: »
    Thanks for all of your feedback, most of you indicate taking classes is the best option. Especially @bwmalone for taking the time to explain in full detail as an instructor. I will wait until I can afford classes - I am simply unable to at this time living on student loans. The last few years have been rough on me with a job loss and lack of income.

dont give up! Just because you cant do that right now, doesn't mean you cant do something else fun and active in the time being!
  • Out_of_Bubblegum
    Out_of_Bubblegum Posts: 2,220 Member
    Options
    @PayShi Good idea - when you are ready, don't just sign up at the nearest school... Do a little homework, and try a few free introductory classes (most schools offer them), and find one that fits you best. Even more important than style is to make sure the school you pick is a good fit for you.

Good luck - and ping me any time about MA.
  • PayShi
    Options
    @rainbowbow thank you! =) Just trying to find something that I find both fun and worthwhile.

@bwmalone Thank you! I will keep that in mind and will definitely contact you in the future. Thanks for your help. =)
  • glevinso
    Options
    GeorgeL583 wrote: »
    Billy Blanks Tae Bo.

This is dancing, not martial arts.
  • Lofteren
    Lofteren Posts: 960 Member
    Options
    The Gracie's have an online Brazilian Jiu Jitsu program; although, if you don't have a training partner it would be practically impossible to become proficient in BJJ.
  • glevinso
    Options
    That just sounds like a money grab to me. You can't actually learn how to do this stuff well at all without an instructor specifically directing you.

I have been in the martial arts for 25 years, and teaching for the past 10. Every time someone walks into the dojo talking about how they taught themselves all this cool stuff online from videos, then try to demonstrate it, they fail. Every time.
  • Michael190lbs
    Michael190lbs Posts: 1,510 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    I agree you really need a good group to experiment on..lol as I put it.. If I was you I would try Kenpo unless you feel the need to compete its a great art. You can find some beginners videos on youtube that might get you out of a situation or get you hurt? I suggest run and scream. I train and let me tell you the best action is just to get out of that situation as fast as possible.
  • glevinso
    Options
    I train and let me tell you the best action is just to get out of that situation as fast as possible.

Yup. 25 years studying all kinds of martial arts and my #1 suggestion for "self defense" is to use run-jitsu...

• Lofteren
    Lofteren Posts: 960 Member
    Options
    glevinso wrote: »
    I train and let me tell you the best action is just to get out of that situation as fast as possible.

Yup. 25 years studying all kinds of martial arts and my #1 suggestion for "self defense" is to use run-jitsu...

That's true but that doesn't help the OP find a fun and productive method of training in the form of MA. Right now I am training at a BJJ school almost exclusively but am improving my boxing and muay thai skills at home with the guidance of some helpful guys in the combat forums on T-Nation. That being said, I do have a lot of experience in Kyokushin Karate so I'm not exactly learning from scratch. It isn't optimal but I am improving. The OP may not wind up being a world champion kickboxer but she could at least learn some basics and get a good workout in. She would be better off than she would if she didn't do it at all and it may lay the foundation needed for her to branch out into other, more effective, methods of training MA which are all good things.
  • ForStMicheal
    ForStMicheal Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    When I read your post, I honestly thought you were more interested in just getting exercise.

I would ask, are you more interested in actually learning the forms and skills of martial arts and/or to defend yourself?

Or are you more interested in exercise that involves punching and kicking and is basically cardio under the guise of martial arts?

If its the second one then there are plenty of videos out there that will probably appeal to you, but you wont be learning any martial art.
  • sofaking6
    sofaking6 Posts: 4,589 Member
    Options
    PayShi wrote: »

If you have the tech, hit up youtube for kickboxing type videos. Not exactly a martial art but you can burn calories and get some of that badass feeling you may be looking for. And *free*.