Should I use a hydration vest?

Options
kensieb123
kensieb123 Posts: 2 Member
edited April 2015 in Fitness and Exercise
Hey, so next weekend, I am running a 6 hr ultra on a 5.62 mile looped course. There is one unsupported aid station at approx. 2.5 miles with self-serve water. I am planning on using a hydration vest with just a bottle in the front, no bladder. I am just wondering if this seems excessive. The race website says to bring 24-48 oz. I know I shouldn't, but I am worried about looking like a newbie, espeially since I'll be the youngest one there. What do y'all think? Would you use a vest?

Replies

• Camo_xxx
    Camo_xxx Posts: 1,082 Member
    Options
    if that is what you trained with and that is how you are used to rehydrating then go with it.
    I would be more worried about getting chaffed by the vest then lack of water if you are not used to wearing it.
  • june552
    june552 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    No, water weight is not loosing weight. When you drink a glass or two of water later on you will only be upset. Eat 6 small meals a day , lift weights and remember your cardio. It's the only way
  • Camo_xxx
    Camo_xxx Posts: 1,082 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    june552 wrote: »
    No, water weight is not loosing weight. When you drink a glass or two of water later on you will only be upset. Eat 6 small meals a day , lift weights and remember your cardio. It's the only way

Wut ? Me thinks you got confused. LoL. The OP is asking about a method to transport water during a 6 hour long running race.
  • Mini_Medic
    Mini_Medic Posts: 343 Member
    Options

Lol! I think they just read the title and wrongly assumed that the OP meant she was going to be wearing a vest trying to dehydrate herself or something. Like the trash bag/sauna suits. Read the whole post before you comment!

On to the original post question. No I think you will be fine wearing it if it's comfortable and doesn't get in your way. Everybody has a different method, so what works for you. No one at the event is going to say anything. Some people wear camel baks to drink from, others grab a bottle of water and keep running, others chug it and take off. I haven't seen anyone run with a hydration vest but it sounds like a cool idea! The longest ice ran before was a mud run that was 5 miles, and we couldn't carry water so we depended on the hydration stations. Good luck and have fun!
  • runfoorun
    runfoorun Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    For that type of race with an aid station every 2.5 miles I would recommend a 12-20 oz handheld. That should be plenty. Especially if you're a smaller person who doesn't sweat much.
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options

WTF? Did you post in the wrong thread?
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options

WTF? Strong first post...

OP, have you been using a vest for training? I wouldn't worry about looking like a newbie, people always have their own thing :) So do what feels right to you. How much do you usually drink in the same distance?
  • DeeTee68
    DeeTee68 Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    Who cares what people think staying hydrated is more important. I take it you will be covering approx 30 miles so I say Vest is best. I wear one when im just doing 6-7 miles trail running and you should see the looks I get but do I care ? Nope :)
  • teacton11
    teacton11 Posts: 65 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    If you are comfortable with the vest then wear the vest. Ultra events are like the exact opposite of fashion shows. No gives a F about what you look like or what you are wearing.

Unless you get stuck pacing with someone wearing hookas....or vibrams........then they will judge your footwear and give you a 3 hour long story about how their footwear changed their life and created world peace.
  • mwyvr
    mwyvr Posts: 1,883 Member
    Options
    DeeTee68 wrote: »
    I wear one when im just doing 6-7 miles trail running and you should see the looks I get but do I care ? Nope :)

How does anyone know you are only running 7 miles with your vest?

Maybe they are looking at something else. :smile:
  • kensieb123
    kensieb123 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the replies! I decided I will wear it and not care what anyone thinks :)