scale moving, pant size not

Options
So frustrating.....My scale is reflecting a loss but my jeans/pant size has not changed. This is so backwards...I figured if the scale didn't change, my pant size would atleast ...inches vs pounds.....Any ideas? Water weight? The scale is reflecting a 4-5 lb loss....

Replies

• avskk
    avskk Posts: 1,789 Member
    Options
    It takes some people a long time to drop a size. For me, it takes 15-20 pounds before I go down a pants size. Just be patient, and be proud that the scale is moving -- it means you're doing this right!
  • jenncornelsen
    jenncornelsen Posts: 969 Member
    Options
    agree with above. im down 15 out of the 35 i have to lose and still wearing the same. how much do u have to lose?
  • DemoraFairy
    DemoraFairy Posts: 1,806 Member
    Options
    I lost 55lbs and went down 2 jean sizes, so about 27lbs per size for me. I'm still wearing all the other clothes I had before, same tops and stuff.
  • onehappypickle
    onehappypickle Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    It doesn't always fall off where you want it to, is how I've heard. I've still got a long way to go on my journey, but I'm looking forward to buying new pants in a smaller size! Good luck with your journey!
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    I have lost close to 20 pounds (15 with MFP, 5 before that) and I only started seeing a change in how my pants fit in the past week or two. I think I'm finally read to go down a size. I was just losing it from other places first.
  • peachyfuzzle
    peachyfuzzle Posts: 1,122 Member
    Options
    That's the one thing about weightloss, it comes off wherever it comes off. My neck was stuck at 18" for almost four months before starting to move again even though my pants, and shirt sizes decreased. I'm finally just starting to notice it coming out of my thighs as well after six months... finally.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    So frustrating.....My scale is reflecting a loss but my jeans/pant size has not changed. This is so backwards...I figured if the scale didn't change, my pant size would atleast ...inches vs pounds.....Any ideas? Water weight? The scale is reflecting a 4-5 lb loss....

I wouldn't think 4-5 Lbs would make a difference in pant size.
  • chubbard9
    chubbard9 Posts: 565 Member
    Options
    I've lost 27lbs so far, and while my old jeans "feel" looser, I think it's because they were stretched out belief... I went to buy the same exact ones in the same size, but they didn't fit comfortably, and I went up a size... So even though my pant size hasn't gone down, I know it will just take time and patience, but everybody has noticed a smaller me(somehow!)!
  • galgenstrick
    galgenstrick Posts: 2,086 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »

I wouldn't think 4-5 Lbs would make a difference in pant size.

For men it does. I lost a full inch every 10 pounds or so.
  • PlumpKitten
    PlumpKitten Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    Weight loss is frustrating and uneven - but it does happen!
    I am having the opposite problem. After a LOOONG plateau, my waist size suddenly dropped while the scale shows nothing. I can fit into old jeans, but weigh exactly the same. Maybe it's because I started doing weights? Go figure.
    Try to keep your eye on long-term progress and keep going!
    I wish I had a 4-5 lb loss to report. :)
  • leggup
    leggup Posts: 2,942 Member
    Options
    Going from US size 12 to US size 10 was about 20 lbs. Going from US size 10 to US size 8 was about 17 lbs. Going from US size 8 to US size 6 was about 10 lbs. Going from US size 6 to US size 4 has been about 6 lbs, though I think in another 3 lbs it will look better.

See where this is going?
  • dietstokes
    dietstokes Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    being shorter (5'4") I went from 155 to 135 and went from a 12 to an 8 (US). But its really different for everyone.
  • bobbito007
    bobbito007 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    4-5 pounds is awesome, but you won't see pants size reduce drastically, it's a start. Work hard today and don't use tomorrow as in excuse :)
  • suzikay12
    suzikay12 Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    I can go up and down within a 30lb range and still wear the same pant size. One of the joys of being a pear! ;)
  • emilyj613
    emilyj613 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I've lost close to 35 pounds and I think I just now dropped a size.
  • RBXChas
    RBXChas Posts: 2,708 Member
    Options
    It depends on so many things. I have two pairs of jeans of the same company and cut. One is a size 14 (US), and one is a size 12 (US). I wore the size 14 tightly at around 205lbs, and it took until I was under 180lbs to be able to wear the size 12s. I tried to wrap my head around how I could wear the same size over 25lbs, but then I realize that I was barely squeezing into them at 205lbs and that I had extra fabric that I could easily grab at 180lbs, which was my cue to start wearing the 12s. Even at 174lbs those 12s fit differently than they did at 180lbs, and I'm guessing I'll probably need smaller jeans around 165lbs.
  • RBXChas
    RBXChas Posts: 2,708 Member
    Options
    Going from US size 12 to US size 10 was about 20 lbs. Going from US size 10 to US size 8 was about 17 lbs. Going from US size 8 to US size 6 was about 10 lbs. Going from US size 6 to US size 4 has been about 6 lbs, though I think in another 3 lbs it will look better.

See where this is going?

I found this after baby #1 when I went from a size 16 to a size 4 (size 2 in some brands) in US sizes. As I got smaller, it took less weight to put me up or down a size.

• yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options
    YOU can lose weight all over your body. 4-5 pounds lost everywhere not just lower body.
  • kristen6350
    kristen6350 Posts: 1,094 Member
    Options
    Sorry, I don't think 4-5lbs will make much of difference pants wise. Unless the 4-5lbs only came from your waist down.

I typically see a difference in about 10lbs, I'm currently a 20.8 BMI.

Keep on doing what you are doing though and be patient, it will happen!
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    My advice is to be patient. 4-5 pounds probably isn't enough to move down a clothing size yet... probably see a difference at 10-15 pounds down. It can kind of depend on how you are shaped too.

I've lost 20 pounds and 4.75" off my waist and 2.5" off my hips. I guess if we were going by waist size alone I have gone down a couple of sizes. I am still wearing the same stretchy waist pants I started with though because my waist and hips are still not in the same size pants and I don't want to wear pants with baggy hip/butt area. I have to lose 8" more off my waist for them to be in the same non-stretchy pants size.