Low-carb/healthier pancake recipes that ACTUALLY come out good....????

Options
s2mikey
s2mikey Posts: 146 Member
OK so - Ive been on a pancake-making binge the last 2-3 weeks trying desperately to make pancakes that are *reasonably* healthy/low carb but actualy taste good and have decent consistency. Ive tried about 7-8 different recipes, some with protein powder and some without. So far just one was "OK" and I suspect the nut butter in the recipe made it bearable. Overall though, most batches get tossed right away. Ugh.

Ive been using organic Oat Flour as the main flour aong with whatever the recipes call for. I tell ya, Im starting to believe that if you want truly good pancakes that are fluffy, moist, and tasty that you have to just go for it and eat the high-carb/high sugar mixed types. Strating to piss me off now. I follow these recipes pretty much dead on and even with many good reviews the pancakes are like styrofoam/packing material. Taste like nothing. AARRGGGHHHHH!

So - is it simply that pancakes are one of those foods like Steak or Pizza where to really enjoy the food you MUST just "go for it" and do them the old fashoined way? Is there NO such thing as a "healthy" pancake that really tastes good & has good texture? I swear Im following these recipes right but damnit.... most of them are freeging AWFUL.

Im about ready to just purchase a pancake mix that requires only water/eggs and say !@#$% IT!

Someone... HELP! :disappointed:

Replies

• eseeton
    eseeton Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I can't help you out with whether there are any good recipes out there because I haven't tried them, but I have been wanting to try this recipe: http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/whole-wheat-oatmeal-pancakes-241530
  • Trancemadam
    Trancemadam Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hi

I don't know where you are so you could be talking about American style pancakes in which case I cannot help you but I have used both of the following recipes

1 egg beaten
    30g Ground Almonds
    10g Flour
    dash of milk to desired consistency

With sweetener and lemon very nice flavour but not very fluffy

or 1 egg
    20g ground almonds
    10 g milled linseed
    10 g flour
    dash of milk

Fluffy but are slightly texturised due to the linseed but not noticeably so.

This makes 3 decent sized pancakes

I
  • Step1BELIEVEINYOURSELF
    Options
    A mashed banana and an egg. Sounds weird, but if you get the traditional pancake out of your mind, it's actually very yummy!
  • ebtorrance834
    ebtorrance834 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I 100% know what you mean. For ages i've tested recipes, last batch i tried tasted like rubber! Nothing beats the real deal but i quite like these as an alternative:

40g of protein powder (i use chocolate, protein world)
    1 banana
    1/2 tsp cinnamon
    1/4 baking powder
    2 egg whites
    2 tbs (almond) milk

Around 285 calories. Makes quite a few so i usually half the ingredients
  • JPW1990
    JPW1990 Posts: 2,424 Member
    Options
    If you're only LC and not keto, the ones in a box would probably fit in your day, if you only have one or two. Otherwise, most people stick to cream cheese pancakes. The faux flours don't rise correctly without a lot more baggage than there's room for in a pancake.
  • Aimeeshrinks
    Aimeeshrinks Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    3 eggs
    3/4 cup low fat cottage cheese
    1/4 cup flour
    1/4 teaspoon salt
    1/8 teaspoon baking soda
    Optional: 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon (I highly recommend this!)
  • cheeeesecake82
    cheeeesecake82 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    A mashed banana and an egg. Sounds weird, but if you get the traditional pancake out of your mind, it's actually very yummy!

I second this! 1 mashed banana mixed with an egg, half a tsp of baking powder and away you go! If you want more "body" you can add a couple of tbsp of coconut or almond flour.
  • kimw91
    kimw91 Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    I find 'healthy' and 'low carb' two very different things, so I'm just gonna share my healthy but not low carb recipe for American pancakes:
    - 1/3 cup ww flour
    - 1/3 cup buttermilk (nonfat)
    - 1 egg white
    - 1tsp vanilla extract
    - 1/2 tsp baking powder
    - pinch salt & baking soda (and any spices you may want to use)
    - 50gr blueberries (or any other fruit you want to add in)
    - 1/2 tbsp sweetener of choice

Mix wet, then dry, then both, add bloobs, make over medium heat, enjoy.
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options
    Personally, I like cottage cheese pancakes. Not low carb, but a good amount of protein.

If you go the mix route and want some protein in your pancakes, try Kodiak Cakes. They're whole grain, but actually tasty. This is from someone who usually is not a fan of whole grain anything. Almost always tastes like cardboard.
  • Move4Abs
    Move4Abs Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    You know, you're not going to find a 1 for 1 substitute because what makes the traditional pancakes what they are, is the stuff that you're trying to avoid :) That said, it doesn't mean that you can't have traditional every now and again...while enjoying the amazingly delicious AND healthy alternatives at other times. I really really really love ricotta cheese/banana pancakes or the banana/egg pancakes. They end up a bit heavy in the sugar due to the banana but are all natural and oh so stinking good ;)
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    Options
    I make pancakes with oats or Quinoa flakes, coconut flour, zucchini, protein powder, baking powder, 2 egg whites, apple pie spice and stevia. If you're using protein powder, I find WPC cooks better than WPI (slightly rubbery/dry)
  • iluvstrwbrries
    iluvstrwbrries Posts: 26 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Hello,

I think I have the recipe for you. This is a recipe that I tweeked until I had pancakes that came very close to what I'm use to.
    Pancake on the LEFT was the original recommended recipe...pancakes on the right is my tweeked recipe.

Low Carb Almond Flour Pancakes

Ingredients:

1 cup almond flour
    2 eggs
    1/4 cup water (for fluffier pancakes, you can use sparkling water)
    2 T oil
    1/4 teaspoon salt
    2 Tablespoons sweetener ( stevia in the raw 2 packets)
    1/4 cup of heavy cream
    2 tablespoons vanilla
    1/2 teaspoon baking soda

Preparation:
    Mix ingredients together and cook as you would other pancakes. I like to use a nonstick pan with a little oil. Flip them when the underside is brown.

Serve with sugar-free maple syrup, Easy Three Berry Syrup, strawberry topping, or other low carb topping.

Yield: Six 4-inch pancakes

3.3 Net carbs per pancake28vs82dvynjy.jpg