Strength training and where your heart rate is.

Options
Is there a general rule that when you are lifting that you should have an elevated heart rate? I thought I couldn't really lift weights and my heart rate doesn't go that high maybe 110-120.. should it be a lot higher if my resting heart rate is 70-80?

Replies

• jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    I do not pay any attention to my heart rate when doing any exercise. Just do your routine and don't fret over it.
  • Michael190lbs
    Michael190lbs Posts: 1,510 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    I don't pay attention to my heart rate when lifting weights. I do notice when I super set my heart rate goes up more than if I'm doing just one movement at a time. I do one exercise with no rest between four movements. Open squat rack- 12 reps front squats 12 reps military press 12 reps lunges each leg then 12 reps lifting barbell from waist to chin. all is one set and its pretty intense even with just 105 lbs. My heart rate jumps above 120. I normally do this twice to end my workout..
  • juliewatkin
    juliewatkin Posts: 764 Member
    Options
    I don't know what the rule is but my heart rates spikes very high when I lift, even heavy singles but drops to low 50s resting.
  • snowy0wl
    snowy0wl Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    thank you. I'm not sure if I'm really lifting heavy enough. My priority is to keep good form which includes proper contraction and not use momentum to cheat.
  • navyrigger46
    navyrigger46 Posts: 1,301 Member
    Options
    Power cleans get my heart rate to around 140-150, so do heavy deads.

Rigger
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options
    I don't pay attention to my heart rate when lifting weights. I do notice when I super set my heart rate goes up more than if I'm doing just one movement at a time. I do one exercise with no rest between four movements. Open squat rack- 12 reps front squats 12 reps military press 12 reps lunges each leg then 12 reps lifting barbell from waist to chin. all is one set and its pretty intense even with just 105 lbs. My heart rate jumps above 120. I normally do this twice to end my workout..

interesting way to feel the pump at the end of the workout. Not really surprised though.
  • AllanMisner
    AllanMisner Posts: 4,140 Member
    Options
    Generally, you’ll see a rise in heart rate for any activity you perform. The longer and faster you move, the more your heart rate will go up. But that is not really a measure of the intensity of the weight lifting as much as just movement. If you do squats with 100 lbs you probably won’t see much difference from doing 80 lbs. If you were talking about blood pressure, then you might be on to something.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    I don't worry about my HR when I'm lifting...that isn't the purpose of lifting.
  • snowy0wl
    Options
    cwolfman13: this may be unrelated but how do you know when you are lifting 'hard' enough? I'm just beginning and never paid much attention to HR, but when I tried a really heavier weight then my HR shot up. Wouldn't that be better indicator that you are actually really working hard? I guess its simular to if you work out isn't i normal to get all sweaty?
  • yopeeps025
    Options
    snowy0wl wrote: »
    cwolfman13: this may be unrelated but how do you know when you are lifting 'hard' enough? I'm just beginning and never paid much attention to HR, but when I tried a really heavier weight then my HR shot up. Wouldn't that be better indicator that you are actually really working hard? I guess its simular to if you work out isn't i normal to get all sweaty?

You can tell intensity level without using a heart rate monitor.
  • ForStMicheal
    ForStMicheal Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I don't really get your question, you totally lose me when you say 'I thought I couldn't lift weights'

are you afraid of over exertion? do you have a heart condition? are you thinking your not working hard enough?

I'd say one doesn't really have much to do with the other, especially because there are a lot of goals one might try to achieve with resistance training.

I would say that if the goal is increasing strength, and your heart rate is dramatically elevated, then your probably going through your routine too fast to achieve optimal strength results.
  • snowy0wl
    Options
    yopeeps02: what do you look for?
  • ForStMicheal
    ForStMicheal Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    never really noticed my HR go up from heavier weight alone, but put the sets to close together and it will happen.

actually I guess it does, but it goes down so quickly I don't really think of it as an elevated heart rate.

I think this will play back into how close your sets are
  • yopeeps025
    Options
    yopeeps02: what do you look for?

For lifting weight: Heavy training is sometimes going til failure with proper form. Everything in lifting weight should be with proper form to prevent injury. Take it from some one who got surgically repair muscle from improper form, it's not fun as much as I like to wear it as a badge of my lifting career dedication.

So when you went to pick do heavy weight for x amount of reps? If you went to failure you would have be in high intensity for you.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options

It really depends on what I'm after...I do some metabolic stuff in the weight room, usually just to get things warmed up...kettle bell swings, dumbbell snatches, etc. But by and large my objective is to push and pull as much weight as possible in my given rep range. Basically know that I'm working hard enough when I'm pretty close to not being able to get the last rep up in a set. I know what my 1 RM is on various lifts and I know what % of that I should be working depending on my rep range.

To maximize my lifts, rest is required...if I'm in a "heavy" cycle for example, I might do a set of 3 squats...and then rest a good 2-3 minutes to ensure I can get that weight up again on subsequent sets. I pretty much give myself 2 minutes rest between sets on most Oly work. In higher rep ranges I might only rest for a minute or 1:30.

I do some bootcamp/circuit kind of stuff for about a month a couple of times per year for which I don't give myself much rest and I work low weight high rep for endurance...I do try to keep my HR elevated most of that time...but I've been training now for just shy of 3 years so I have a pretty good feel for my level of effort and intensity without needing a HRM. I have one from when I started, but the battery died some time ago and I've never replaced it.

• jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    Are you following a weightlifting program? If you are not, find one to follow and follow it. It will tell you how to figure out how much to lift and how to progress.
  • nossmf
    nossmf Posts: 9,363 Member
    Options
    I used to do squat sets of 100 reps at 135#. My heart would be racing by the time I finished, believe you me! lol (My 1RM is 475, so it wasn't the weight itself.)
  • juliewatkin
    juliewatkin Posts: 764 Member
    Options
    nossmf wrote: »
    I used to do squat sets of 100 reps at 135#. My heart would be racing by the time I finished, believe you me! lol (My 1RM is 475, so it wasn't the weight itself.)
    That sounds pretty horrible. I've never gotten past 25 and that sucked.
  • chokeslam512
    chokeslam512 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I use my heart rate as an indicator of recovery between sets.