Weight training without gym- How comprehensive can it be?

Options
Can you get comparable results with just push-ups , sit ups, squats, dips, lunges, and a few other at-home workouts?
My goal is to slim down to the point of minor muscle definition , but at 5"7 and 180lb, that is still a distance off...

I would suppose that the more muscles you can work, the more fat you burn, and the slimmer you get, so, The real question is, how can I be sure I am covering all my muscles, and not "wasting" these months from any opportunities that only expensive equipment can provide.
If anyone knows of a complete, non-expensive equipment program (dumbells etc are ok) that really covers all the bases, so that the only thing I need to add is my own hard work, would be much appreciated.

Replies

• joejccva71
    joejccva71 Posts: 2,985 Member
    Options
    You can workout from home just fine. There will be a point where you aren't getting any stronger but that's fine if your goals are what you said in your post. You want to lose fat, maintain LBM.

No problems with training from home.
  • ForStMicheal
    ForStMicheal Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I'm sure there were extremely impressive specimens long before expensive equipment was created. Of course you can be all you can be without equipment.

and if the idea is to slim down, you'll get much more bang for your buck but focusing on nutrition.

If your dead set on lifting alone, I'd goggle body weight exercises. Or get a suspension trainer.

If you want something more aggressive with a cardio aspect, I'd suggest insanity or any one of the thousands of HIIT videos on Youtube, just watch it first and make sure its got enough of a resistance aspect.

The only thing you need to progress in resistance training, is progressive resistance. People start doing 100+ push ups and they think they are useless. They should have switched to a much harder variation of the standard push up (there are probably 100s of different ways to do them believe it or not) months ago.
  • HannahFaye111
    HannahFaye111 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Thanks, Guys.
    Absolutely will be watching the diet closely, although i am now learning it is just as important not to eat too little as eating too much... the balance can be confusing, but 1500 calories is what the websites tell me.

• rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,163 Member
    Options
    Amazing things can be done with just bodyweight, but you will have to do your research. Many buff bodies such as those of gymnasts are trained using bodyweight. You Are Your Own Gym by Mark Lauren is a good place to start.
  • Asher_Ethan
    Asher_Ethan Posts: 2,430 Member
    Options
    Do you have kids? I find kids really help when working out at home. My 50 pound 7-year-old LOVES when I do home strength training because I'lll use him as my equipment. He'll jump on my back as I do squats, I'll bench press him, we'll have contests to see who can hold plank longer, it's a lot of fun actually. I can't quite do a push up with him on my back yet but that's the goal.
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    You can do tons with only body weight. People severely underestimate it. There are a lot of resources out there these days. Google is your friend.
    Al kavadlo
    Convict conditioning
    Strength unbound.com
    Start bodyweight.com
  • HannahFaye111
    HannahFaye111 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    All great resources! Thanks!