any runners out there have any advice??

Options
hey all - I've tried to have a positive attitude about it but the facts are, I just hate exercise! It's painful and I do not enjoy pushing my limits. I'm hoping this all changes once I get the bulk of my weight off and it becomes a little easier, but for now every single stinkin' day is a struggle just to get to the gym and WALK on a treadmill!

I'm about 75 lbs overweight, but I carry my weight very well; most people guess I'm only 25-30 lbs over. Doesn't change the fact that my joints hurt and i just feel heavy.

Sob story over, I think I MIGHT...........key word MIGHT........want to consider 'becoming a runner'. I have a lot of friends who run and swear it's the best feeling in the entire world. I used to run a tiny little bit when I was in highschool and in shape and I didn't mind it so much surprisingly....

So where do I start? My joints hurt, my knee is killlling me just from the exercise ive been doing (60 minutes of walking, 4-5 days a week). I don't want to push it to the point where I give up altogether :/

Any advice would be so greatly appreciated :D

thanks!!

Replies

• bethrs
    bethrs Posts: 664 Member
    Options
    I suggest googling Couch 2 5k. It's how I started running and I just finished my first 1/2 marathon. The workouts are bouts of walking/running that start out with maybe 30 seconds of running at a time. They build slowly and having a plan helps- also, they are shorter workouts so you only spend about 30 minutes or so doing it.

You can find them in written or podcast form, and some of the podcasts come with music to run to and a nice voice telling you to switch. I have picky music tastes so I eventually just wrote the times of the intervals on my arms and listened to my own music.

HTH.

Ps. never feel afraid to repeat a week of C25k or a day if you need to- there is no rush, and if you feel that C25k may be too intense, stick with the walking until you feel more comfy. You'll get there, I promise.
  • dancingnancies
    dancingnancies Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    start SLOWLY. during this time is the time when you can injure yourself. slowly increase your speed when you feel you are ready. and before you know it you will be running!

feel free to add me if you would like! i would love to support you along the way. :flowerforyou:
  • swaymyway
    swaymyway Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    I second the suggestion for Couch to 5k, it's free and easy to follow and really makes you feel like you are getting somewhere - every week you progress, but you don't feel bad in the first few weeks when you can't even run for a minute without feeling like you are going to die!

Be mindful of your knees and listen to your body though, if they hurt from walking then running might not be the best idea.

Give it a try and see, what's the worst that can happen? :)
  • Runnergirl0430
    Options
    I'm a runner and it is absolutely the best thing I've ever done. I've always hated exercise as well, but running is different, somehow. Start with Couch to 5K and build from there. It is amazing and you CAN do it!!!
  • elzettel
    elzettel Posts: 256
    Options
    I'd also suggest C25K and repeat whenever you want. I repeat just to change up a regular routine or if I'm not 'feeling' it. Have you ever considered doing something like swimming or water aerobics? Much less stress on the joints which might put you (and your body) in a better position for something higher impact. How about an elliptical trainer too? I hated running when I started about an year ago...now I'm downright crabby if I go a few days without a run. Good luck and don't be afraid to try other things and go back to give walking/running another try.
  • Grimmerick
    Grimmerick Posts: 3,342 Member
    Options
    I always used to say I only run when chased by cops or dogs. Then I decided to start jogging, I couldn't jog for longer than like a minute without stopping. Now I can go 4 miles without stopping. I have been jogging off and on for a year. Just start slow, walk to start, then when you feel ready jog a little. The point where you enjoy it will be when you start noticing you can do things for longer and with less discomfort (shouldn't be painful). Blast some tunes that really make you want to move and just get out the door, that is the hardest part for most of us. But you feel good when your done right? I do it for the after affects. It will grow on you, just keep your mind open so you don't keep associating it with negative feelings, tell yourself you like to exercise, after a while your brain will start believing it.
  • Tinasmythe
    Tinasmythe Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I was never athletic in high school. However I had several friends that participated in the Galloway run walk program and they swear by it. I started it last year and life happened and had to stop. But I am doing it again this year. They have different groups depending on fitness levels and you can move up as you go along. C25k is good too.
  • Cletc
    Cletc Posts: 352
    Options
    I just hate exercise!
    It's painful
    'becoming a runner'.

So where do I start?

www.RunInjuryFree.com "Training" "Half Marathon" and in the paragraph in there is a link to "Conditioning" program.

First 8 weeks are walk only
    then you can repeat it weeks #9-18 with jog segments, starting at :05 seconds (about five cadence)

Weeks #19-34 you can do the 5K training plan at that same site, walk/jog/walk

Weeks #34-44'is you can do the 10 to 13 week training program to 10-K

Weeks #44-60 you can double back for a little break and do the 17 week walk/run/walk to a Half Marathon

Which would put you at the end of summer sometime, so you have a month or two leeway in all these weeks of training plans and you can do a Half Marathon Next Fall. There are usually several to choose from in Sept/Oct

Never over-do it . Walk as much as you need to. It all counts.

I prefer the Feetures Diabetic socks,
    www.SkirtSports.com skirts
    Garmin Forerunner 305 --- but the Gymboss is great. I used that for a long time first.
    be sure to get proper shoes and replace them when necessary. I own 3 pair and rotate them
    Shoes (worth a drive) -- http://www.roadrunnersports.com/rrs/content/content.jsp?contentId=2600003

Take it easy!
    Don't over-do it!

See you at the Starting Line :happy:
  • Cletc
    Options
    start SLOWLY.
    during this time is the time when you can injure yourself

I think C25K is Too Strenuous and progresses too quickly.

I'm a big fan of Jeff Galloway's "Quit-Proof" incremental easy-does-it (free) training plans.
    Lots of iphone apps for it now too if you are into that.

www.RunInjuryFree.com
  • beth050680
    beth050680 Posts: 7
    Options
    thanks all :) I have tried C25K and I still have the podcasts on my ipod, but........this is really sad and i cant believe im even admitting it.........I couldn't even do the first one!!!! I got to about 20 seconds and about passed out. Maybe I'll do something similar but just try smaller intervals....it's just such a pain because I'm bad with math so then I get all tripped up trying to figure out where I am and how long I have left and ugh it just makes it even more unenjoyable. but I will keep trying!! :D

as far as weight-loss is concerned, is running really that much better/productive for you than walking???
  • Cletc
    Options
    thanks all :) I have tried C25K and I still have the podcasts on my ipod, but........this is really sad and i cant believe im even admitting it.........I couldn't even do the first one!!!! I got to about 20 seconds and about passed out.

I couldn't do it either.
    C25K is pretty strenuous for a lot of folks :-)
    That's why I did Galloway's "conditioning" plan under the Training--Half Marathon tab.
    The Gymboss is a GREAT little gadget for this.

www.RunInjuryFree.com
  • girlruns
    girlruns Posts: 344
    Options
    thanks all :) I have tried C25K and I still have the podcasts on my ipod, but........this is really sad and i cant believe im even admitting it.........I couldn't even do the first one!!!! I got to about 20 seconds and about passed out. Maybe I'll do something similar but just try smaller intervals....it's just such a pain because I'm bad with math so then I get all tripped up trying to figure out where I am and how long I have left and ugh it just makes it even more unenjoyable. but I will keep trying!! :D

as far as weight-loss is concerned, is running really that much better/productive for you than walking???

First, stop feeling ashamed that you couldn't finish the first one! We all start somewhere. I've never done C25K, but as the other responses suggest, it is a popular program. The Galloway program is great too. If you have a hard time with the math in intervals, keep it even. Maybe for you, you do 10 seconds of running, 50 seconds of walking. That way you only have to run the first 10 seconds of a minute and finish the minute by walking. When you are ready, move it to 15 seconds/45 seconds. And so on.

You are already doing great by walking for an hour, but if your joints hurt, consider trying a walking or a run/walk program for 30 minutes, and then 30 minutes of something easier on your joints. Yoga or swimming would be a great option.

As far as weight loss, you can get done faster if you are running. You also get your heart rate up higher. My main exercise is running, and it has worked for me.
  • beth050680
    beth050680 Posts: 7
    Options
    ooooh i like his conditioning program! that sounds like something i could actually do! only bad thing is that it TAKES about 5 seconds just to get the treadmill up to the right speed hahaha. ill have to see what i can figure out :)

i had never heard of gymboss, but that is a sweet little tool!

thanks for the advice! :)
  • running42km
    running42km Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I'm 49 and have been running since I was in grade two. Over the decades I've been plagued by injuries that I've found come from two sources. One, bad advice, listening to poor coaches or trying to rigidly apply generic running plans/schedules. And second, being over weight, running is hard on the body when you are carrying extra pounds. So be very careful if you plan to use it to lose weight. I recommend brisk walking with occasional short jogs to start and leaving the watches and gps' at home. Listen to your body instead. Perhaps set aside some time per day, even 20 minutes for a walk around the block at lunch time can make a difference. And for women that have large chests, invest in a good sports bra; chafing hurts us guys, I can't image what it does to women. Good luck.