Eating late at night - good or bad?

Options
Does eating late at night have any negative impact on weight loss? I heard from multiple people that eating after 7 is bad....you will gain weight because your body is not burning as many calories when you sleep. But, assuming you eat your daily calorie goal and don't go over, is it still bad?

Replies

• Crystal817
    Crystal817 Posts: 2,021 Member
    Options
    I heard from multiple people that eating after 7 is bad....

Mutiple people were wrong.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/197044-eating-late-at-night
  • LuckyLeprechaun
    LuckyLeprechaun Posts: 6,296 Member
    Options
    it can disturb you rest if you eat too close to bedtime (you may not sleep as well if you recently ate), but your tummy doesn't have a clock, and it won't change anything regarding weight loss as long as you are hitting your calorie goals.
  • RainbowsAndButterflies
    Options
    I dont think it matters as long as its in your goal calories... i think dr oz said it once
  • Athena413
    Athena413 Posts: 1,709 Member
    Options
    I think it has more to do with the fact that eating gets your digestion/metabolism going, which in turn makes it harder to sleep, and if you're not getting good sleep, you're going to have trouble losing weight...same thing with exercising late at night. I think the best thing is to get on some sort of schedule and try to stick to it.
  • lclarkjr
    lclarkjr Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    It's not bad as long as you aren't overeating or going over your daily calorie goal. You have all day to eat your daily allotment, it doesn't matter what time of day you actually do.
  • joannbuist23
    joannbuist23 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    As long as your within your calorie range it doesn't matter. Sometimes I eat late, sometimes I don't. For me, when I eat has never affected my weight loss.
  • aippolito1
    aippolito1 Posts: 4,894 Member
    Options
    My personal trainer said to eat only protein right before bed. It keeps your metabolism going for up to 4 hours and helps you burn fat because your body is working while you sleep! But no carbs. In your sleep, your body can't turn carbs into fuel because you're not doing anything so it will just turn to fat.