What should my activity level be?

I am 5'1 female 21 years old. I work at a desk 40 hours a week and am looking to lose 1 pound a week.
so I sound very sedentary. But I train like a mad woman! I run between 30 - 60 miles a week + train on elliptical + weight train 2 times a week.

should my activity level be light because my sedentary job undoes my training?! Im not losing much..

Replies

• lesliroot123
    lesliroot123 Posts: 5 Member
    An "active" lifestyle is defined by someone who has a relatively active everyday job I.e. A job that requires you to be on your feet most of the day, say a waitress, ER nurse, maintainance man, etc. even if you workout like a madwoman 2 hours a day it's still only 8% of your day if you sit the rest of the day unfortunately
  • RozieRunner
    RozieRunner Posts: 8 Member
    Thanks, if 1200 calories a day is what it needs to be thats what ill do... Just bit disappointing and energy levels plummeting before during and after training
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,809 Member
    You are confusing activity with exercise - two completely separate items on here.
    You are sedentary because you have a sedentary job.

When/if you exercise you log that exercise and get credited an approximation of the calories burned which is added to your daily allowance.
    So if your goal is 1200 it is really 1200 plus exercise calories.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    What do you do outside of work other than exercise? I work a 40 hour desk job and have to set MFP to lightly active in order to get close to my correct tdee when exercise is added.
  • AllanMisner
    AllanMisner Posts: 4,140 Member
    Fat loss comes from what and how much you eat. Eat good food, and balance out your macros and calories. The fat will come off over time.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Thanks, if 1200 calories a day is what it needs to be thats what ill do... Just bit disappointing and energy levels plummeting before during and after training

yes, but you should be adding your calories from exercise to that total of 1200 as well so in reality, it would probably be closer to 2000 for you.

• RozieRunner
    RozieRunner Posts: 8 Member
    Thanks! I never log my exercise because although this site has helped me lose 3-4 pounds, its calorie burned info is WAY over estimated!
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    So eat 50% back.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,809 Member
    edited April 2015
    Thanks! I never log my exercise because although this site has helped me lose 3-4 pounds, its calorie burned info is WAY over estimated!

Not all exercises.
    Walking and running for example are standard activities and burns should be pretty accurate. You can also cross check against different sources such as Runnersworld calculator.

If you train as hard as you say then not fuelling your workouts is a mistake, don't think that a fast rate of weight loss is best. Remember you want to lose fat and not lean mass. You only have 9lbs to lose - what's the rush?