Where to begin ?

Options
Hello, I'm new to this. I would like to start running and would love to know where to begin? How long? What pace? I'm a walker, I walk everywhere. Ty!
Renee

Replies

• esjones12
    esjones12 Posts: 1,363 Member
    Options
    Google a couch to 5k training program. Should be a good place to start.
  • Mrsallen6_11
    Mrsallen6_11 Posts: 416 Member
    Options
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options

Definitely a good thread to read.

A couch to 5K program is really the best way to start. It will have you walking and running in longer and longer intervals to help you build up endurance until you can run an entire 5K. I'll caution you to follow the program and don't try to do more than it tells you or you risk overuse injury.

There are smartphone apps available which will tell you when to walk or run. I can highly recommend the Zombies 5K app. It was a lot of fun. I haven't tried any of the others.
  • rmr12111026
    rmr12111026 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much for you advice and informative info . I can't wait to start!!
  • newen
    newen Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I loved zombie run as the further I went (running or walking) the more I earned for my survivors. Lot of people I know like couch to 5 k app. Type running into whichever operating system you have and I'm sure you'll find alot of apps. Try until you find what suits you.
    Are you planning indoor or outdoor running? If this is something your serious about gobto running shop and have your gait analysis done. I thought a running showboat a running shoe but getting right one almost overnight cured the post run pains in knees nd ankles as the shoes I had didn't provide the right support.
  • newen
    newen Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I should spell check before posting.