For the ladies - that time of the month

Options
nc1191
nc1191 Posts: 51 Member
I was wondering if any one else gets really hungry, or hungrier than usual, during their time of the month. Is this normal and should you eat a little more to satisfy your hunger? I usually have at least a couple hundred calories to spare at the end of the day, but today I'm cutting it close. This is my first cycle since I've changed my diet and eating habits so I'm just curious. Thanks!

Replies

• kecmorgan
    kecmorgan Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    For me, ABSOLUTELY! During my time, I almost always have to eat extra to keep my hunger at bay. But it's usually stuff like chocolate chip cookies or some kind of salty snack :( It's hard to make good food decisions that week!
  • Swimgoddess
    Swimgoddess Posts: 711 Member
    Options
    Normal! Thank you stupid progesterone. Try to increase your water and protein intake to combat bloat & hunger.
  • kdao
    kdao Posts: 265
    Options
    I find myself a lot more hungry a week before :ohwell: I just try to exercise more so I can snack more.
  • MissingMyOldSelf
    MissingMyOldSelf Posts: 689 Member
    Options
    I do!!! When I get close to that time of the month, I normally want sweets, so I stock up on 2 or 3 boxes of those 100 calorie pack desserts at the grocery. I get my sweet tooth taken care of, and I dont tip the scales!
  • Jeepinmom4
    Jeepinmom4 Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    Yea idk?! I've only been on here 10 days,I'm kinda curious myself :)
  • Angel1066
    Angel1066 Posts: 816 Member
    Options
    I eat like a horse during my TOM and sometimes i go over my calories but i do try and workout out more to compensate for the bad days.
  • husker_gal
    husker_gal Posts: 462 Member
    Options
    I always get more hungry. I usually use a day or two during it as cheat days. Makes me feel better. Good Luck!
  • karlichelle18
    karlichelle18 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    umm absolutely flippin ravenous. this month i ate so much i made myself feel sick. so much fun, good news is when the stupid thing is finally over, i drop like 4 pounds of bloat weight overnight. makes me miserable though. just try to eat healthfully and know it will pass. ugggh!
  • robinaddison
    robinaddison Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    I find I'm starving for a couple of days around TOM...and usually craving salt and chocolate. I do give into it to the tune of an extra 100-200 cal. Something like a bowl of oatmeal with some almonds and a bit of dark chocolate usually does the trick and keeps me out of the pringles!! I figure my my body needs that energy for whatever reason (to fuel the pms rage, maybe lol) and part of this whole new way of eating is learning to listen to my body!
  • Xaspar
    Xaspar Posts: 726 Member
    Options
    umm absolutely flippin ravenous. this month i ate so much i made myself feel sick. so much fun, good news is when the stupid thing is finally over, i drop like 4 pounds of bloat weight overnight. makes me miserable though. just try to eat healthfully and know it will pass. ugggh!

Yeah, what she said ...
  • biggerpix
    biggerpix Posts: 96
    Options
    i don't get hungrier...i crave bad things though.
  • chelseelovesyou
    chelseelovesyou Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    I must have chocolate covered pretzels or kettle corn popcorn. I just indulge usually but only one or two so I can taste it. Other than that I try to eat a lot of fiber (to stay fuller longer) and drink lots of water. But if I don't indulge it makes my emotional symptoms worse, I just want to cry. But yes, I want to eat everything I see.
  • BrownEyedG1rl
    BrownEyedG1rl Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    Well it's my TOM right now and last week I COULD NOT get enough sweet stuff! It was terrible! This week isn't so bad.
  • nfreeman1
    nfreeman1 Posts: 3
    Options
    Those 100 calories bars are the best way to go for a sweat tooth. I'm glad I'm not the only one. They satisfy the cravings.
  • romiga
    romiga Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I'm going through that this week. I craved salty so bad yesterday and caved in to burger king, I knew it was bad but it was like I NEEDED it! Not to mention I was all crampy so I didn't want to work out--double whammy-- I really didn't know what to expect since this is only my 2nd week of changing my lifestyle but I know what to do next month! Lol
  • lisapickering
    lisapickering Posts: 374
    Options
    It's normal... your metabolism increases so it makes you hungry! I drink lots of water and do lots of cardio and eat more. Normally the scale is up, but last month I actually lost a pound that week!
  • lisapickering
    lisapickering Posts: 374
    Options
    I'm going through that this week. I craved salty so bad yesterday and caved in to burger king, I knew it was bad but it was like I NEEDED it! Not to mention I was all crampy so I didn't want to work out--double whammy-- I really didn't know what to expect since this is only my 2nd week of changing my lifestyle but I know what to do next month! Lol

Try and workout it will make you feel much better! You can eat more too just try and make it healthier.
  • BeautifulTestimony
    Options
    Well for me, I crave chocolate and more chocolate and I eat all day... I hate it...
  • ashley_hill
    Options
    This is absolutely normal!!! You naturally burn about 400 calories more per day when you are "on." This is because your organs are working extra hard. Keep working out because it reduces the craps and do drink lots of water to keep bloating to a minimum. But cut your self some slack on calories because probably are hungry.
  • cckeimig
    cckeimig Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    I am definitely hungrier those days, but just try and make smart choices about how to calm the cravings--a couple Snickers Minis or dark chocolate Kisses rather than a whole chocolate bar, etc. And I try to just make sure there's still a deficit of a couple of hundred calories per day, even if it's not the normal 400. And just take an extra walk.

Definitely get enough water and control your sodium so you don't retain it. Helps a lot, from what I've found!