Tofu?

aanddplusoanda
aanddplusoanda Posts: 189 Member
edited September 27 in Food and Nutrition
What is it exactly? What is it made of and what's the nutritional value of it? I'm really curious.. I tried it for the first time today and the texture was weird..didn't taste bad but looked and felt like some kind of prossesed food...

Replies

• fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,310 Member
    It is the protein from soya beans. There are many different forms. The Japanese ones are firm and soft silken tofu, which are almost like cream cheese in texture, flavourless, you add it to things like miso soup. There are also harder versions that are more like meat substitutes, which you usually have coated in cornflour and fried until it's crunchy and them added to stir fries. I also have a recipe for smoked tofu and mushroom pate which is really good.
  • 1sisrat
    1sisrat Posts: 267 Member
    basically a type of soy bean curd. it takes the flavor of anything it is cooked in. tastes good when cooked over a skillet and then in whatever you are cooking. relatively low in calories. Not very processed, been used for a VERY long time. It has lots of protein. google it to get more.
  • felicia8604
    felicia8604 Posts: 274 Member
    I have added it to smoothies and its pretty good..kinda makes it a milkshake texture. I used the firm tofu.
  • Samiwhereareyou
    Samiwhereareyou Posts: 277 Member
    i am allergic to soy and in the process of learning what to stay away from ive learned how many things have soy in them. Its almost as bad as corn and in more things the gluten just to give you an idea. soy is a cross between a peanut and a greenbean. anf tofu if a cake made from the beans edamame. soy is good for most people in small amounts but i would say find out how much of it your getting first before you load up on the tofu.
  • bike4now
    bike4now Posts: 52
    Excellent source of protein. Low calories. Meat substitute. I buy some from a nearby restaurant weekly. I like fried tofu. I put a few tofu cubes some in soup. It fills me up and is low calories. Soup and tofu has been the one dish that has really saved me many times when I was hungry but did not have many calories to spare.
  • also a good source of calcium.

It doesn't taste great if you eat it plain. For savoury, marinate it in your fav marinade e.g. satay, honey & soy, smokey bbq.
  • calliope_music
    calliope_music Posts: 1,242 Member
    tofu by itself grosses me out, but i LOVE it in stir frys. mmmm.
This discussion has been closed.