knee pain getting me down

Options
Feeling really down. I do actually love exercising but I suffer so bad with knee pain.

I can't swim (bbut have just started lessons). I love things like JM shred but squats, lunges and jumping jacks just kill my knees I end up quiting before the end.

Ive started slow jogging and my knee doesn't like that. I don't want to pay for gym as I get bored and don't push as hard going the gym.
And classes are hit and miss as Im a nurse so classes aren't always on when I'm off.

And suggestion of anything I can do at home. Not weight lifting as just don't have the money to buy weights
at the moment. Work out videos that aren't heavy on knees?

Replies

• vorgas
    vorgas Posts: 741 Member
    Options
    My advice would be to strengthen the muscles around the knees first. Things like Peterson Step-Ups, Goblet squats, etc can be done without gym weights (you just use stuff around the house). Focus on proper form. Make sure your knees don't go past your toes, etc.

Of course, going for a bike ride could be a great way to get some exercise with low impact. You could maybe look into yoga or pilates. A total gym can often be found on craigslist for under $100.

Avoid impact like jumping jacks, step aerobics, etc.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Yeah, what @vorgas just said. My physiotherapist has me on a whole bunch of exercises and stretches designed to strengthen my quads, my core, and a whole bunch of little muscles around the knees. It might be small movements that make the biggest difference over the long haul. I've been collecting home exercises.

https://www.pinterest.com/janetkarasz/fitness-at-home/
  • shadowfax_c11
    shadowfax_c11 Posts: 1,942 Member
    Options
    I have had knee issues for years. I've found that regular chiropractic work can really help a lot. Once you have one joint throwing off your alignment it will affect everything around it. Also make sure that your shoes are not worn out of balance. If you pronate and tend to wear them a lot to one side or the other it can put a lot of strain on your knees. For me wearing shoes like Vibram Five fingers or some other zero drop shoe was helpful. I also take a joint supplement which does help a great deal with the pain.

And don't force yourself to do things that cause you more pain and damage. I don't do any running, jumping or knee walking (a martial arts thing) anymore. I never sit on my knees or kneel for more than a few seconds. And I avoid walking down stairs or steep hills as much as possible. Up is fine, down puts pressure on my knees that fees dangerous as well as painful . But it does not stop me from doing other things. I really feel the weather when it changes and have a harder time in the winter. When I ride my horse I always use a tall mounting block both to get on and get off to avoide any shocks to the joint.

In spite of needing to be really careful with my knees I still have a very physically active life. You can too. :)
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Get yourself a bicycle - I find it very kind to my wonky knees.

I've got more serious knee injuries than I've got knees but cycling is entirely positive for them - strengthens the quads which is essential for knee stability. No impact is crucial for me, I can often only run 2 miles before getting knee pain but can cycle 100+ miles with no knee issues at all.

Proper cycling shoes also help.

• lalepepper
    lalepepper Posts: 447 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    I also struggle with knee pain and have had a lot of success with physical therapy. I've got a lot of old injuries that I'll never undo, but my stability was very poor and I was in pain daily, especially during climbing stairs, kneeling and squatting. I learned that knee pain, offkilter kneecaps, and muscle imbalances are very common in women due to the more extreme angles associated with our pelvis to knee connection. Daily low-impact exercises specific to your needs might be very helpful to reduce your overall pain and allow you to work on things like squatting and lunges that are out of reach. I finished PT a few weeks ago, and have significantly reduced my daily pain and have been able to start doing unweighted squats, which I could never do before due to instability.

When I was first getting more active I had the best luck with water aerobics (you could also do something like water walking), biking, and ellipticals. Some machines might put you at an angle that is uncomfortable, so I've been the most active while attending a gym that has a few types to choose from. My PT taught me the value of keeping things in balance once you're active by engaging in a variety of activities that will help develop/maintain all of your leg musculature. I used to mostly just cycle, but to avoid throwing things out of whack again I now do more walking and elliptical time to balance the cycling out.
  • sofaking6
    sofaking6 Posts: 4,589 Member
    Options
    Swimming is great for bad knees, plus if you do kickboard work you will be working a lot of those muscles that @jgnatca is referring to.
  • susanlouise
    susanlouise Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I have had a bad knee for decades, since a ski injury. The bicycle is the best overall exercise. Swimming is fabulous. Avoid impact: running, jumping. For the last couple years, I have been working with a trainer and he has been great about working with me such that now I can do lunges and squats (carefully) where I could not have before. My knee is also much more stable because the muscles in my leg are balanced and strong. Highly encourage working with a PT or knowledgeable trainer.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,565 Member
    Options
    Walking is good enough to start with no cost or no real help needed with form. You just go out and walk.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • Klhernandez81
    Klhernandez81 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I'm not a trainer, but walking sounds like a great idea...and yoga? It may help with strength and some of the pain.
  • softblondechick
    softblondechick Posts: 1,276 Member
    Options
    Walking and yoga. The more you focus on your core the better.

Move it or lose it!

I live with chronic pain in my knees. Right especially. I have been getting treatment.
  • rdfaye
    rdfaye Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I have RA, and have had knee pain for years. I also developed serious damage in the right knee, so it has been recently replaced. Walking, swimming, and bike riding are highly recommended by the doc and the physical therapist. I prefer mat Pilates to yoga, but have not recovered enough to restart them. However, the core muscles I had built by doing Pilates were immensely helpful during the first 2 to 3 weeks of recovery. Yoga would probably do the same. And supportive shoes are a must for stability.
  • bigd66218
    bigd66218 Posts: 376 Member
    Options
    Start with walking/stretch afterwards/move to the bike. Get proper bike fit/learn how to spin and you will be amazed at the amount of cardio you can do. :)
  • lulucitron
    lulucitron Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    Yoga. It's amazing for the knees as it builds up your stabilizer muscles and your legs in general. I found when I start yoga then I didn't have any knee pain any longer. It also stretches out your hips, which often is the start of knee pain for me, which makes sense because your IT band gets tight when your hips are tight, which causes your knees and ankles to tweak.
  • RobDowney
    RobDowney Posts: 2,445 Member
    Options
    I have a very bad knee as well. 3 surgeries. ACL rebuilt, a lot of meniscus removed. Ostearthritis. I was regularly spraining my MCL and tearing hamstring area as well.
    Its been 3 years since last surgery and I am just starting to recover (I think). I had to give up on running and bootcamp style workouts. It just aggravates my knee.
    Now I am riding the steppers, elliptical and bicycle and it is working for me. It is boring but... I also heavy weight train 4 times per week.
    But since I changed my workout style I have been seeing big improvements.
  • shinisize
    shinisize Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    My knees are in pretty sad shape, so I really have to work up to exercises and ranges of motion. Walking is good as a starter, and the elliptical is great for going faster without the impact (I will never be able to run on a treadmill). When it comes to lunges and squats, I take it easy. I don't try to make the full range of motion, I only go as far as the joints remain stable. The range of motion will slowly come over the next several weeks, without the instability, pain, etc.