POPCORN

Options
2»

Replies

• donjtomasco
    donjtomasco Posts: 790 Member
    Options
    M.Orville.com showed the label 7.5 cups popped is one serving and is 120 calories.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    M.Orville.com showed the label 7.5 cups popped is one serving and is 120 calories.

It does. That seems off, though.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    I just buy the little bags of Smart cheddar popcorn. You get a satisfying amount for 100 calories.

But you could have 6x that for like 200-250.
  • marissafit06
    marissafit06 Posts: 1,996 Member
    Options
    SLLRunner wrote: »
    I weight out my kernels and I measure out my oil and put both in my popcorn maker (one of those turn table bowl lid kinds) and I'm guessing it would equal about that if I used all the oil recommended (I use half and it works just fine). You could split hairs and argue that some of the oil is left all over the popper, but I wouldn't say its enough to under estimate for.

I have a Whirley Pop, and I love it.

How does the Whirley Pop compare to an air popper? We have an air popper but I'm interested in something new.
  • hhnkhl
    hhnkhl Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    popped.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    I weight out my kernels and I measure out my oil and put both in my popcorn maker (one of those turn table bowl lid kinds) and I'm guessing it would equal about that if I used all the oil recommended (I use half and it works just fine). You could split hairs and argue that some of the oil is left all over the popper, but I wouldn't say its enough to under estimate for.

How does the Whirley Pop compare to an air popper? We have an air popper but I'm interested in something new.

Whirley pop is used on the stove top. I use a teaspoon of oil and pop it all up. It's very good. I don't like air popped popcorn, so I think my popcorn is much better.
  • amy8400
    amy8400 Posts: 478 Member
    Options
    Love my Whirley Pop! You have to use a small amount of oil in it so the kernels don't stick to the bottom. And yes, you can use a mere teaspoon in the bottom so you can keep oil calories to a minimum. My air popper is nice but I find the popcorn from it to be a little chewy? The Whirley Pop popcorn never has had that texture.

BTW, I find Skinny Pop popcorn to be a misnomer. Ain't nothing skinny about the fat calories on the package. It's over 50% fat calories (9.3g in a 4 cup serving). It tastes good but I can make my own popcorn a lot healthier ;)
  • maroonmango211
    maroonmango211 Posts: 908 Member
    Options

Whirley-pop-Popcorn-Popper_20090803398.jpg

I would so love to switch to a stove top, I bought the turntable one because I was worried about the ceramic stove top, don't want to scratch the bugger up more than regular daily cookware already does!

This looks like a great device though!
  • 7lenny7
    7lenny7 Posts: 3,493 Member
    Options

I would so love to switch to a stove top, I bought the turntable one because I was worried about the ceramic stove top, don't want to scratch the bugger up more than regular daily cookware already does!

This looks like a great device though!

You don't need to buy anything fancy to cook popcorn on the stove, and you don' have to worry about scratching your stovetop.

When I cook popcorn on the stovetop I just use a bit if oil in a regular stockpot. Put the burner on medium and wait until the popping stops. Contrary to the myth, you do NOT need to shake the pot move it about. The popping action moves the kernals around plenty.