How to lower carbohydrate intake

Hi. i would appreciate some advice on how to lower my carbs. I hardly have rice, once a week i have a small bit of pasta with my meal and maybe 2 slices of wholegrain bread maybe 3 times a week.

What foods should i avoid and what protein foods should i have to up my protein.

Thankyou

Replies

• rawk_fairy_666
    rawk_fairy_666 Posts: 103 Member
    Why do you need to drop carbs? It doesn't sound like you are eating too many to me. Try Brown rice and pasta for a slower release of energy.

If you want more protein add meat, fish, beans, Greek yoghurt that sort of thing.
  • FrancineDesign
    FrancineDesign Posts: 67 Member
    Yeah id like more protein than carbs as my macros are high in carb and low in protein
  • prasadsurve
    prasadsurve Posts: 21 Member
    How low do you want to go? I avoid rice, pasta, potatoes, sweets and bread. My carb intake is around 50 gms per days.
  • FrancineDesign
    My goal a day is 120grams I'd like to lower it but often i go slightly over
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Hi. i would appreciate some advice on how to lower my carbs. I hardly have rice, once a week i have a small bit of pasta with my meal and maybe 2 slices of wholegrain bread maybe 3 times a week.

What foods should i avoid and what protein foods should i have to up my protein.

Thankyou

Where are your carbs coming from then?
  • DAM5412
    DAM5412 Posts: 660 Member
    lots of fruits, veggies, yogurt and dairy have carbs. Google low carb foods and for *kitten* and giggles, google high carb as well. Eye opening.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    When you review your food diary, what are your major sources of carbohydrates? We can't really tell you what to avoid because we don't know what you are eating now.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,865 Member
    If it's not protein or fat, it's a carb...just eat less carbs. To up your protein, eat more meat, poultry, fish, eggs, etc.
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    an open diary would help - diary settings, bottom left, public.

To reduce carbs eat more foods that don't have them in appreciable amounts - cheese, meat, eggs, fish, green veg etc.
  • splashtree5
    splashtree5 Posts: 210 Member
    With no carbs you guys can't absorb protein and drop fat, it is reccomended no to exceed 100 gr per day divided in 2/3 times so a bit each meal you should avoid to crave and feel hungry.
  • tazalla
    tazalla Posts: 7 Member
    on the days you have pasta, double the sauce and half the pasta. If you dont feel full add green beans to te pasta. Cut your bread down to on slice and make it a very grainy type.
  • JPW1990
    JPW1990 Posts: 2,424 Member
    With no carbs you guys can't absorb protein and drop fat, it is reccomended no to exceed 100 gr per day divided in 2/3 times so a bit each meal you should avoid to crave and feel hungry.

What website taught you that? You can survive on no carbs, and tons of people get by on 20g or less. It's the one macro you don't need.
  • joejccva71
    joejccva71 Posts: 2,985 Member

Wrong wrong wrong.
  • FrancineDesign
    hi guys ill make my diary public so u can see
  • IsaackGMOON
    IsaackGMOON Posts: 3,358 Member

Stop spraying your misinformed information around
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Looking at your diary there's no real need to lower carbs, unless you just want to see how you feel if you do. Your protein depends on your weight--80% of a reasonable goal weight (in lbs) but in grams is a good way to estimate it for most women, but really a wide range is appropriate and you aren't especially low. In fact, what you are low on is calories, and if you just ate your calories it would get the protein up.

That said, the easiest way to increase protein and decrease carbs is change serving sizes--have a little less cous cous and a little more fish. For you specifically, your breakfast is carb-heavy--which is why I personally could not do a smoothie in the morning--you could adjust it by having a smaller serving with something like yogurt or cottage cheese or a couple eggs on the side or simply add protein to it and reduce the amount of fruit. Or, if you like it and it fills you up, you probably aren't someone who needs to worry about carbs.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    after a quick look at your diary, it seems to me that you're not doing so bad. yeah, a bagel today, and that's not so bad. carbs are a great fuel source, but i tend to stick to fruits and vegetables, and whole grains for my carbs. also, track fiber instead of sugar, especially if you are eating a lot of fruit. that'll give you a better idea of the good carbs you are eating.
  • FrancineDesign
    Thank you to everyone for great advice