How to keep going when your relationship ends

Options
I'm currently going through a situation where I lost 40 pounds and now my boyfriend I've been with for six years doesn't want to be with me anymore I'm finding it hard eat sleep and just do basic functions. Any thoughts of how to keep going or how to deal while on a weight loss journey

Replies

• lillyrose2020
    lillyrose2020 Posts: 178 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Sorry about your break up. Don't let it derail your amazing progress though, 40lbs is a lot to lose, well done!
    My advice would be to try and keep busy, if you've got friends and family nearby, reach out to them for support.
    If you can/want to, get dressed up and have a girls night, blow off some steam, flaunt your 40lbs lighter figure and have some fun.
    Focus on making yourself happy, if you want to indulge then do, but keep logging everything, keep it under control.
    If you're really feeling down then see if you can get counselling, the end of a relationship needs to be grieved and it's best to talk it through instead of bottling it up.
  • brower47
    brower47 Posts: 16,356 Member
    Options
    bergk24 wrote: »
    I'm currently going through a situation where I lost 40 pounds and now my boyfriend I've been with for six years doesn't want to be with me anymore I'm finding it hard eat sleep and just do basic functions. Any thoughts of how to keep going or how to deal while on a weight loss journey

Just do. My marriage of 11 years just ended. You just keep going.

Good luck.
  • juleszephyr
    juleszephyr Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    I understand where you are coming from. I lost 118 lbs 6 years ago and then my husband of 22 years decided he didn't want to be with me anymore. It is hard to stay focussed! I started running for stress relief and that helped keep me on track and burn any emotional calories I ate. Six years on I am still maintaining and much happier than when I was married...
  • Leana088
    Leana088 Posts: 581 Member
    Options
    Hi there. I just got out of a relationship 2 weeks ago. For me, I absolutely REFUSE to be sad about it. If he left me, he wasn't worth having my heart let alone my tears. I realise not everyone understands this mindset, but I'm a strong headed, independent woman and it's the way I deal with most things. I'm not easily broken. My ex probably isn't sad about leaving me so I have no reason to be sad about him.

Focus on yourself. Do things for YOU. Treat yourself, take extra care of yourself. For me at least, I find I neglect myself if I'm pre-occupied with a man, because it's all about him.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    You carry water and chop wood-meaning you just do what you normally do. Yes it hurts, but there is a reason for everything and you need to focus on you right now.
  • rocknroll667
    rocknroll667 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Inch by inch, life's a cinch!!!!! Do one thing today for yourself. Get up and go get fresh air and a yummy smoothie or hot coffee somewhere and plan an exciting recipe for dinner. Ok that's two things he he he. Log those calories in advance so you can get excited for the future meal and hopedully plan your daily calories around it all day.
  • Frequently_Fabulous
    Frequently_Fabulous Posts: 132 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Three words: revenge weight loss (with the goal of looking so good it makes him cry)

Alternatively, watch Legally Blonde and emulate Elle Woods or Game of Thrones and be Khaleesi.
  • kindrabbit
    kindrabbit Posts: 837 Member
    Options
    Leana088 wrote: »
    Hi there. I just got out of a relationship 2 weeks ago. For me, I absolutely REFUSE to be sad about it. If he left me, he wasn't worth having my heart let alone my tears. I realise not everyone understands this mindset, but I'm a strong headed, independent woman and it's the way I deal with most things. I'm not easily broken. My ex probably isn't sad about leaving me so I have no reason to be sad about him.

Focus on yourself. Do things for YOU. Treat yourself, take extra care of yourself. For me at least, I find I neglect myself if I'm pre-occupied with a man, because it's all about him.

I love your attitude. my daughter has just split with her first boyfriend and I'm trying to teach her this lesson. If he can't see how awesome you are then there's something wrong with him, not you.

Op, you keep on keeping on and prove to the world just how awesome you are!!
  • Leana088
    Leana088 Posts: 581 Member
    Options
    Three words: revenge weight loss (with the goal of looking so good it makes him cry)

Alternatively, watch Legally Blonde and emulate Elle Woods or Game of Thrones and be Khaleesi.

Weight lifting while thinking of someone you want to murder also helps...makes you lift heavier... :lol:

I don't think my ex can handle my revenge. He brags about his cage fighting. That means nothing if I have a shotgun in my hands... tb2dot1hhky2.jpg
  • xesixb
    xesixb Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry to hear that, but look on the positive side: You lost 40lbs. If he doesn't want to be with you anymore, it's his loss not yours. I'd recommend you start learning a new skill/language or join a yoga/fitness class. You never know what the future holds for you.

Good luck and keep up the good spirit.
  • bergk24
    bergk24 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for the love and support!!! I don't want to give up my journey and keep pursuing my personal goals in life. Only 20 pounds till goal weight :smile: