Craving Sweets and Soda

Options
Hi everyone,

So about two weeks ago I reached 70kg milestone. I decided to celebrate it by allowing myself to eat anything in the period of two weeks, before continuing my diet and reach my final goal of 65kg. By anything, I mean that I didn't care whether it's junk food or not as long as my daily intake was slightly below my maintenance calories. I must admit that there were dark days where I do not consume vegetables nor fruits at all. So now that two weeks have passed, I want to start eating healthy again but I'm having quite a hard time since I got hungry really quick and I'm assuming that this is because I've been eating a lot of sweets and drinking soda. I tried stopping it but I'm in the middle of exam week. I'm having a hard time concentrating during my study without the accompany of some sweets and soda. I know I should stop consuming these products but I can't help myself.

My question is, what's the best way to ease your way back to your diet routine and stop this craving of sweets? Or maybe someone can suggest me some sweets that will not harm your diet and leave you feeling guilty afterwards? I know fruits and yogurts are probably best. But I'm kinda bored with that option and would like some variety.

Hope you all have a great weekend!

Replies

• misskarne
    misskarne Posts: 1,765 Member
    Options
    Diet coke. Minimal calories, not sickeningly sweet (I still don't understand how people drink full-strength Coke), fills my tummy, and tastes delicious.
  • ncboiler89
    ncboiler89 Posts: 2,408 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone,

So about two weeks ago I reached 70kg milestone. I decided to celebrate it by allowing myself to eat anything in the period of two weeks, before continuing my diet and reach my final goal of 65kg. By anything, I mean that I didn't care whether it's junk food or not as long as my daily intake was slightly below my maintenance calories. I must admit that there were dark days where I do not consume vegetables nor fruits at all. So now that two weeks have passed, I want to start eating healthy again but I'm having quite a hard time since I got hungry really quick and I'm assuming that this is because I've been eating a lot of sweets and drinking soda. I tried stopping it but I'm in the middle of exam week. I'm having a hard time concentrating during my study without the accompany of some sweets and soda. I know I should stop consuming these products but I can't help myself.

My question is, what's the best way to ease your way back to your diet routine and stop this craving of sweets? Or maybe someone can suggest me some sweets that will not harm your diet and leave you feeling guilty afterwards? I know fruits and yogurts are probably best. But I'm kinda bored with that option and would like some variety.

Your thinking about 'junk' food is junked up. It's food. Eat it if you want. shesh.
  • Nyappykim
    Nyappykim Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    It's okay to eat sweets as long as you're not constantly stuffing your face. Maybe try to eat more healthier things during the day as your priority but save some calories for all the snacks you want. I also agree that you can switch to diet sodas so you can have more calories for food (more junk food!).
  • maidentl
    maidentl Posts: 3,203 Member
    Options
    misskarne wrote: »
    Diet coke. Minimal calories, not sickeningly sweet (I still don't understand how people drink full-strength Coke), fills my tummy, and tastes delicious.

No, no, no. Coke Zero is much better! :wink:

• SophiaSilfaery
    SophiaSilfaery Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I have previously tried to diet by going all or nothing. I have a serious sweet tooth and can easily demolish a block of chocolate/200g bag of sweets and unnumbered Dr Peppers in a mindless haze of nibbling. Since I started MFP I've decided I am never going to be able to sustain anything I do if I don't let myself have sweet treats. So I have been doing, granted I've swapped out the Dr Peppers for Coke Zero and I've limited the treats so I am always under my calories, but this is sustainable for me and I won't binge on it. So if you really need sweet stuff then have them but keep it in moderation.
  • ncboiler89
    ncboiler89 Posts: 2,408 Member
    Options
    maidentl wrote: »

No. Diet coke.
  • misskarne
    misskarne Posts: 1,765 Member
    Options

Ewwwwwwwwww.
  • SophiaSilfaery
    SophiaSilfaery Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I think Coke Zero tastes waaaaay better than diet coke, so chalk me up for that team.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Pull up your boot straps and get to it.
  • DearestWinter
    DearestWinter Posts: 595 Member
    Options

Exactly what I was going to post when I saw the title!
  • soonillbehot
    soonillbehot Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I have previously tried to diet by going all or nothing. I have a serious sweet tooth and can easily demolish a block of chocolate/200g bag of sweets and unnumbered Dr Peppers in a mindless haze of nibbling. Since I started MFP I've decided I am never going to be able to sustain anything I do if I don't let myself have sweet treats. So I have been doing, granted I've swapped out the Dr Peppers for Coke Zero and I've limited the treats so I am always under my calories, but this is sustainable for me and I won't binge on it. So if you really need sweet stuff then have them but keep it in moderation.

It's like we're the same person.

Anyway, thanks for the help everyone. It's not the calories of a soda that concerned me, it's more about consuming healthy food. I'm planning to get rid of soda completely from my diet.
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options
    ncboiler89 wrote: »

No. Diet coke.

No, noname brand is superior.
  • vgnfarmer
    vgnfarmer Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    When I've had periods like that with lots of junk/sugar etc my appetite seems revved afterwards. Eating lots of high fat foods and moderate protein, moderate carbs seems to help me get back to normal.
    My "appetite reset" favorites are shredded unsweetened coconut, raw almonds, peanut butter, fage 0% plain yogurt (or you could do 2% to get fat too) Good Luck on the rest of your journey!
  • grandma107
    grandma107 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    A small box of raisins are 90 calories. There are many treats that are lower in calories. Eat what you want to avoid bingeing, just fit it in to daily caloric allotment. Blessings.
  • Leana088
    Leana088 Posts: 581 Member
    Options
    Raisins currently help me. I only crave candy between 4-6pm so then they are on stand by.
  • Sarasmaintaining
    Sarasmaintaining Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    ncboiler89 wrote: »
    Hi everyone,

Your thinking about 'junk' food is junked up. It's food. Eat it if you want. shesh.

This.
  • Sarasmaintaining
    Sarasmaintaining Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    Leana088 wrote: »
    Raisins currently help me. I only crave candy between 4-6pm so then they are on stand by.

A small box of raisins is over 100 calories-I'd rather have the candy lol :)
  • pinkamingo
    pinkamingo Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I'd try to eat more naturally occurring sugars to ween off processed. Like fruit, honey, pure maple syrup... That is what I did. I went cold turkey on the diet coke though and haven't really missed it. I have Sprite Zero just this week (first soda since January) because I had the flu. Need caffeine, try coffee or green tea. This is what worked for me.
  • Leana088
    Leana088 Posts: 581 Member
    Options
    Leana088 wrote: »

A small box of raisins is over 100 calories-I'd rather have the candy lol :)

That's true...but I don't get an impulse urge to eat the whole bag of raisins like I would with a bag of chocolate. So for me, it's easier to keep in the house. :)
  • atypicalsmith
    atypicalsmith Posts: 2,742 Member
    Options
    Diet Coke definitely.