Going Gluten free for a month

Options
dufus12
dufus12 Posts: 393 Member
Not because I think it a 'fun' thing to do on top of losing 30lbs, but I had a chat with my brother yesterday ( so what? I hear you say...well, big what actually, as we have not talked in decades!), and what came out of it was he had to go gluten free years ago to free himself from symptoms that - yup!- I am experiencing myself..........It took him a lot of time and effort to whittle it down to gluten so I am going to hang onto his coat tails and give it a go.....From Monday. I know it sounds like I just procrastinating, but I need some preparation time, both practically and mentally.

Any other gluten free peeps to give advice and assistance???

Replies

• Sarasmaintaining
    Sarasmaintaining Posts: 1,027 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    I did it for a few days and it wasn't difficult, just a bit boring. I was also having some issues that I thought gluten might be the culprit of, but then after doing some more research I realized that my symptoms were most likely due to my vitamin D deficiency (that I've been ignoring for years out of laziness). Added gluten back in, went on a high dose D3 supplement and I'm already starting to feel better :)
  • auntstephie321
    auntstephie321 Posts: 3,586 Member
    Options
    There is a gluten free group on MFP. My family had similar issues though it's more of a sensitivity/intolerance possible allergy to wheat. So it may not be the gluten itself which is just part of the wheat. I've found it was best to just cut it all out, it gets easier after you see how much better you feel without it. Best of luck to you.
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Hi! I was thankfully able to find out that my digestive issues weren't gluten but I can completely empathize with the thoughts going through your head right now because my doctor had me convinced that was the problem until the blood test came back negative.

There's a group for Gluten-free support you might find helpful: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/112-gluten-free

Good luck and I hope you find relief whatever ends up being the problem.
  • cajuntank
    cajuntank Posts: 924 Member
    Options
    Is there a reason you wouldn't want to confirm you have a gluten allergy with a Dr. before eliminating food groups?
    Not asking to be a "tool"...just curious.
  • Sarasmaintaining
    edited April 2015
    Options
    I do that as well, but I find the best thing is to stick to real whole foods which don't contain gluten anyway. I stay away from things that are labelled gluten free. It's just hype and you may be even worse for you in some ways.

Do you mean you've totally eliminated wheat and other whole grains that contain gluten?
  • blankiefinder
    blankiefinder Posts: 3,599 Member
    Options
    You need to get a blood test for Celiac disease before you do it. Once you go gluten free, if you have Celiacs, there is no going back.
  • dufus12
    Options
    Ta folks....very helpful. Will look out for the group.
    And,no, Cajuntank, you not being a ' tool'.....but doctors failed to diagnose my brother for years, and I don't have much faith in them to be honest. I am also having to consult them over another issue at mo and I just think - ' give the month a shot before adding another moan to the list'........... :o
  • Sarasmaintaining
    Options
    dufus12 wrote: »
    Ta folks....very helpful. Will look out for the group.
    And,no, Cajuntank, you not being a ' tool'.....but doctors failed to diagnose my brother for years, and I don't have much faith in them to be honest. I am also having to consult them over another issue at mo and I just think - ' give the month a shot before adding another moan to the list'........... :o

I don't know what your symptoms are (mine were mental clarity, 'fuzzy' brain etc), but it might not hurt to get your D level tested-so many of us are deficient and if you look at what issues that can cause, it's quite a long list. It's also a pretty easy fix too, if that is the problem :)
  • dufus12
    Options
    I am currently taking a very high level vit d to make up for a deficiency so I know where you are coming from, Sarasmaintaining. My bro had same problem, funnily enough,,,,,,,,
  • FitPhillygirl
    FitPhillygirl Posts: 7,124 Member
    Options
    I'm Gluten free due to having Celiacs Disease and although it makes me feel better than before I was diagnosed. I still hate having to avoid Gluten. That said, there is nothing wrong with trying it and seeing if you feel better without having Gluten in your diet.
  • dillschnick
    dillschnick Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I don't know how much your dr told you about this disease but mine has scared the crap out of me.
    I just had wl surgery this week and, in the labs and studies before the surgery, it was discovered that I have celiac disease as well. Get the gluten out now and keep it out for good!!! It is doing such major harm to your body. It's not a choice once you've been diagnosed. It's a requirement. There is so much information out there on this disease that there really is no excuse to stay in the dark about it. Please, find the will to keep the gluten out. I know it sucks but there are some great alternatives out there. As a carb junkie myself, I know that it will be hard and trying to not want to just have a "bite" of this or a "just this one time" of that will be torture but the repercussions are far worse.
  • Sarasmaintaining
    Options
    I am currently taking a very high level vit d to make up for a deficiency so I know where you are coming from, Sarasmaintaining. My bro had same problem, funnily enough,,,,,,,,

From what I've been reading on D, so many people are deficient and it really does cause all sorts of problems. My level has been in the 17-21 range for years and I'm finally doing something about it-started a 5,000 daily dose a few days ago and I've already noticed I'm not feeling so run down all the time like I used to. I'm scheduled to have new blood work done next month and I'm curious to see if my number is starting to improve with the D supplement :)
  • discoveringmyjoy
    discoveringmyjoy Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I'm doing gluten free and dairy free right now. I know dairy doesn't totally agree with me, although I LOVE it. :smile: The wheat causes me so much bloat, it really helps when I go off it.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    I did it for about a year. I felt good until I added gluten free breads and crackers. Then I quickly realized that gluten wasn't my issue. It's something about grain starches. So I started eating *limited* gluten, and focus on 100% whole grains. I can keep most of my stomach woes at bay if I limit my grains, and choose them wisely.

Good luck, it can be done! just be careful with all of those HEAVILY processed substitutes.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Not because I think it a 'fun' thing to do on top of losing 30lbs, but I had a chat with my brother yesterday ( so what? I hear you say...well, big what actually, as we have not talked in decades!), and what came out of it was he had to go gluten free years ago to free himself from symptoms that - yup!- I am experiencing myself..........It took him a lot of time and effort to whittle it down to gluten so I am going to hang onto his coat tails and give it a go.....From Monday. I know it sounds like I just procrastinating, but I need some preparation time, both practically and mentally.

Any other gluten free peeps to give advice and assistance???

The trick will be that there's gluten in lots of things you don't expect. I do think that if you are experiencing symptoms that suggest that an elimination diet would be helpful (and I think elimination diets can be helpful), that it can be useful to get a referral to a dietician for guidance as if you cut out lots of the products with gluten they also often have other things that might be the real culprit, such that avoiding wheat itself may not be. That's one reason something like the FODMAP diet is recommended, although it is a huge pain.

It will be less difficult if you already don't eat much packaged stuff/buy premade food.

Just out of curiosity I dropped grains for a while, but didn't find I felt any different, so added them back. My sister struggled with IBS for years and did an elimination diet, but her triggers aren't grain or gluten-related either--various weird things like avocado and melon, instead. That's one reason I think it can be good to have some kind of monitored program.
  • dufus12
    Options
    Ta for the advice everyone....I have just been told there is gluten in blue cheese???? Well, that's a bummer - that is one of my treat foods......very unwelcome surprise!!
  • MonsoonStorm
    MonsoonStorm Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't worry too much about cheese:

http://www.glutenfreedietitian.com/blue-cheese/

I think that is being overly cautious... If the celiac society think it is unlikely to cause issues, then the odds of it being a problem for someone with a potential sensitivity rather than an all out allergy are pretty much zero.
  • dufus12
    Options
    I wouldn't worry too much about cheese:

http://www.glutenfreedietitian.com/blue-cheese/

I think that is being overly cautious... If the celiac society think it is unlikely to cause issues, then the odds of it being a problem for someone with a potential sensitivity rather than an all out allergy are pretty much zero.

Ta for that and the link - have just subscribed. May as well do things as properly as I can,,,,,,,,