What am I doing wrong?

Options
Very frustrated! Started working out/tracking calories April 6. Not only have I not lost any weight, I've gained 2lbs :( Workout consists of 60 min Spin Class M W F with 30 min brisk walk on treadmill after class. 60 min Body Pump T TH. Rest on Sat Sun. Sticking to my MFP 1200. Drinking lots of water. Eating lots of protein. My diary is open. I'm 5'2 160lbs 52yo Female.
What am I doing wrong??? So discouraged at this point.
Any ideas suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Replies

• LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    You are not using MFP as it is meant to be used. It is meant for measuring yoru food, all your food, using a scale, and then logging. Most of the days you have nothing logged, the other days you are logging partially. So, the scale is telling you you are not eating 1200 calories, you are eating at whatever your maintenance is then some more on top of it. Based on a draft tdee estimation (http://iifym.com/tdee-calculator/), this means you are underestimating your calories a lot and are probably eating something in the range of 2000 calories instead of 1200.
  • sjb5577
    sjb5577 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Thank you. I do weigh, measure my food. Often times I don't have time to log in or am too exhausted at the end of the day to log on to MFP. Meals are basically the same everyday. However I do get that I should be better at actually logging in EVERYTHING EVERYDAY.
  • klsana00
    klsana00 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Couldnt see your diary but are you eating back exercise calories? My scale didn't move for 3 weeks until I cut that out. Now I view those calories as a safety net to only use in an emergency. First week in doing this..2.5 lbs gone
  • mr21mr21
    mr21mr21 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Looks like your sugar intake is high...
  • hnyzthms
    hnyzthms Posts: 393 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    @aggelikik I've just put my details in the tdee link. When it says -344 calories is that telling me to eat that many less calories to lose?

I'm 34 5ft 3 and weigh 156.6 lbs
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    mr21mr21 wrote: »

Sugar doesn't affect weight loss, unless you eat enough to erase your calorie deficit.
  • Camo_xxx
    Camo_xxx Posts: 1,082 Member
    Options
    What you are doing wrong ? Let's not call it wrong, let's call it incorrect.
    Here is a quick reference guide to the 11 most common reasons you are not losing weight.
    http://www.acaloriecounter.com/blog/why-am-i-not-losing-weight/
    That will address the vast majority of issues. I'd guess 99% of them
  • atypicalsmith
    atypicalsmith Posts: 2,742 Member
    Options

That doesn't have anything to do with CICO.
  • SergeantSausage
    SergeantSausage Posts: 1,673 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    The answer is, and always will be: Eating Too Much.

• elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Options

Sugar has absolutely nothing to do with weight loss and should not be a concern if you have no medical problems.
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    hnyzthms wrote: »
    @aggelikik I've just put my details in the tdee link. When it says -344 calories is that telling me to eat that many less calories to lose?

I'm 34 5ft 3 and weigh 156.6 lbs

Huh? It does not work this way, so are you sure you did not put something wrong? It will tell you how much you need to maintain, so no negative numbers. Then you subtract a percentage, based on how fast and how much you need to lose, and eat that number.
  • atypicalsmith
    Options
    sjb5577 wrote: »
    Very frustrated! Started working out/tracking calories April 6. Not only have I not lost any weight, I've gained 2lbs :( Workout consists of 60 min Spin Class M W F with 30 min brisk walk on treadmill after class. 60 min Body Pump T TH. Rest on Sat Sun. Sticking to my MFP 1200. Drinking lots of water. Eating lots of protein. My diary is open. I'm 5'2 160lbs 52yo Female.
    What am I doing wrong??? So discouraged at this point.
    Any ideas suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

When I first started watching my calorie intake, AND exercising, it was nearly SIX WEEKS before I lost a single pound! But then they started falling off quickly, and now are pretty regularly an average of .5 - 1.0 pound a week. Don't give up; it will happen as long as you consume less calories than your body burns.
  • krkent1975
    krkent1975 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I have to disagree with the posters tha say that sugar intake has nothing to do with weight loss. Natural sugars, such as those consmed via fresh fruits and vegetables are necessary and helpful. Added sugars, such as those found in almost ALL processed foods - are turned immediatly into fat by your liver. I advise cutting back drastically on all processed foods (or quitting them altogether) and eat primarily fresh fruits and vegetables. This, combined with your added physical activity should show you more drastic results :) Good luck and keep trying!!
  • atypicalsmith
    Options
    krkent1975 wrote: »
    I have to disagree with the posters tha say that sugar intake has nothing to do with weight loss. Natural sugars, such as those consmed via fresh fruits and vegetables are necessary and helpful. Added sugars, such as those found in almost ALL processed foods - are turned immediatly into fat by your liver. I advise cutting back drastically on all processed foods (or quitting them altogether) and eat primarily fresh fruits and vegetables. This, combined with your added physical activity should show you more drastic results :) Good luck and keep trying!!

How does eating 100 calories of natural sugar cause more weight loss than 100 calories of processed sugar?
  • seska422
    seska422 Posts: 3,217 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Sugar is sugar. Your body can't tell if that sugar was added or is a natural part of the food.

Added sugar isn't immediately turned to fat in your liver. :|

Eating "clean" is not a requirement for weight loss. Calories in < calories out is all that's required. Try to eat 80% healthy and, as long as you stay within your calorie goal, you can have whatever you wish for that other 20%.
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options

No. Losing weight is hard enough. Why make it harder than it needs to be?
  • Camo_xxx
    Camo_xxx Posts: 1,082 Member
    Options

Plentty of good reasons to cut back on processed foods but your idea that added sugars get turned immediately into fat is a gross misunderstanding of how it works. Sugar is sugar, for weight loss it doesn't matter if they come from vegetables or the most processed engineered factory food available. Sugars are sugar and your body turns it into glycogen to be stored and then ATP to be used.
    Eating more sugar then you store or burn will like all calories get stored as fat.
  • SergeantSausage
    SergeantSausage Posts: 1,673 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options

Fructose is Fructose.

There isn't a cell in your body that can tell the difference between Fructose made in a Strawberry by Mother Nature, extracted from Biologicals in a Processing Plant, or synthesized in the Lab from raw Carbon, Hydrogen, and Oxygen. They are the same.

Sucrose is Sucrose. Same-same as Fructose.

• brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options

You don't have to be wrong ... that is a choice.
  • sjb5577
    sjb5577 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Diary is open to public. I feel like I'm exercising enough. Should I be cutting out more sugars/carbs as suggested?
    Also, feeling extremely exhausted, fatigued thru-out the day/evening.