Yoga

Options
Anyone else mostly just do yoga for exercise? I joined the gym about a year ago and ended up gaining 15 lbs. I hated going but thought I had to to get in shape. I decided to cancel my gym membership and only do yoga. So far I love it and have lost weight (not a lot...only a couple lbs). I have really noticed a difference in how my body looks which is the most important thing. I also walk a lot and have an active job. Now if I can only get my eating habits under control!

Replies

• Vune
    Vune Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    I've lost 20lbs since just before Christmas just by changing my diet and being a pedestrian. I'm trying to remedy both weight gain and health problems. I'm planning on adding yoga in for some gentle stress relief.
  • sati18
    sati18 Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    Must admit I only do short bits of yoga to try and stretch my muscles out when they're stiff.. Like an extended cool down. I do want to try and do more but currently my flexibility is so poor I can't even do half the moves!
  • erinelizabeth882
    erinelizabeth882 Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    One of the most important things about exercise is finding something you enjoy and will stick to, so well done for doing that! Yoga has so many benefits and so many variations; great choice if it's working for you!
  • TheVirgoddess
    TheVirgoddess Posts: 4,535 Member
    Options
    Yoga was my primary exercise for the first 9 months of losing weight. I now lift heavy, too - but I still do the yoga. I love it. It's good for my body and my mind.
  • MysticRealm
    MysticRealm Posts: 1,264 Member
    Options
    I do hot yoga, but it's not my only exercise. I also do cardio and plan to add in more proper weight training.
    I like yoga as the 75 mins seems to pass so quickly (unlike cardio where 45 mins seems to drag on and on) and I get in a full body workout that I can feel for the next couple days. It's also expensive as I actually go to a yoga business. Each visit costs between 10-18 dollars depending on what, if any, 'package' you've bought. I go 1-2 times a week in general.
  • Ms_LisaKay
    Ms_LisaKay Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    I do not do yoga as my primary exercise, but in many ways I wish I did. However, it is too pricey to attend studios. Instead, my main exercise is weight training with yoga as the "side dish." I take one power yoga class a week at my gym (the only one that fits my schedule) and am planning to do yoga again at home on some of the days I don't lift. Yoga -motivates- me. I want to get better at it. I often think of my lifting days as "getting in shape to tackle that &*$# yoga class." ;)
  • cw201112
    cw201112 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    "I often think of my lifting days as "getting in shape to tackle that &*$# yoga class."
    Love yoga --- now just found the motivation to add a bit of lifting into my exercise routine.
  • lulucitron
    lulucitron Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    I do yoga often and it's changed my body and mind in many ways. I don't know what it is but it makes me so relaxed and peaceful after a really hard class. I don't know why anyone takes antidepressants when they could just do yoga haha
  • missuswells
    missuswells Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    lulucitron wrote: »
    I don't know why anyone takes antidepressants when they could just do yoga haha

Thats a joke right?

• teamgiff4
    teamgiff4 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Yep, I do yoga at home. I use dvds and youtube. I do a lot of walking and some low-impact aerobics. There are a lot of benefits from yoga... happy to have found it! :)
  • sthoms2
    sthoms2 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    My yoga studio is $99/month for unlimited classes. I never thought I would pay that much but I think I'm going to do it once my groupon is over. I am trying to go at least 3 times a week. I agree that it not only makes my body Feel better but also my mind. Thanks for all the replies!