Gluten allergy

Options
I was recently diagnosed with a gluten allergy but after giving up all gluten and changing my eating habits my stomach continues to grow. Anyone else doing this gluten free that can lend some support friend request me please.

Replies

• kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    I was recently diagnosed with a gluten allergy but after giving up all gluten and changing my eating habits my stomach continues to grow. Anyone else doing this gluten free that can lend some support friend request me please.

I don't do gluten-free, so I can't help you there, sorry! But -
    When you say your stomach continues to grow, do you mean you are still bloated, or that you are gaining weight?

If you are still bloated, you should go back to your doctor to re-evaluate your diagnosis, or maybe work with a dietician to make sure you are eating the way you need to to deal with your allergy. There are a lot of foods that have gluten added that aren't expected.

If you are gaining weight, this is because you are simply eating more calories than you are burning. Cutting out gluten won't cause you to lose weight if you are replacing it with high calorie foods. Plug your stats into MFP, weigh and log your foods accurately and consistently, and stay at your calorie target to lose weight, regardless of what foods you are eating.

Good luck :drinker:

ETA: I have no idea how long you need to eat a special diet to lessen the symptoms of a gluten allergy. Have you given it enough time?
  • robertsons05
    robertsons05 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    My symptoms from the allergy are gone. I'm losing inches everywhere but my stomach. I have an extremely physically demanding job and I have only gone over my calories once in 2 weeks and only by 200. So I guess I'm bloating.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    Well, two weeks isn't much time for weight loss to happen, and for most folks belly fat is the last to go. So if you feel fine ummmm digestively, you probably just need to keep at it and give it more time. I am still losing fat I really don't need to lose in my legs, but can still pinch an inch around my gut!
  • ibamosaserreinas
    ibamosaserreinas Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    I have celiacs. The only time I get that bloat in my stomach is when I have accidentally consumed gluten. Check your labels something is still contaminated.

Did you throw out things in your kitchen like wooden spoons, stoneware pans, etc? If you used them to cook gluteny things before getting diagnosed you might be getting contaminated still.
  • hstull82
    hstull82 Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    I eat gf with an open diary, take a peek for ideas if you like! I will add you op!
  • mrsmegb
    mrsmegb Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    "Gluten free" items are very unhealthy. More processed and higher in carbs and straight sugar – things that contribute to belly fat. I'm celiac, and I ended up cutting out grains entirely and have never felt better.
  • Twibbly
    Twibbly Posts: 1,065 Member
    Options
    mrsmegb wrote: »
    "Gluten free" items are very unhealthy. More processed and higher in carbs and straight sugar – things that contribute to belly fat. I'm celiac, and I ended up cutting out grains entirely and have never felt better.

This. I now pretty much eat a low-carb primal-ish diet most of the time (I'm currently having a few issues...but I'm working on those). If I eat grains, the upper part of my belly sticks out a few inches more for a few days.

Did they, by any chance (as in, ha ha, they think eating GF will fix everything) test you for candida (yeast), SIBO, or anything else? Normally, if you're celiac, your digestion is pretty well wrecked by the time you get diagnosed.

Mine is just now starting to get figured out, and I've been GF for 8 years. Digestive enzymes seem to help me out, as does bone broth. Right now, I'm horrified to think I may need to give up my coffee (which is silly, because I only started drinking it in the last year or 2), at least for a trial run.