Stick with SC or ??? ....

On week 5 of strong curves beginners but I came across something today that appeals more.

5 mornings fasted cardio ( 20 mins ) would use stationary bike.

6 afternoons strong lifts.

1 Rest day.

Goal is to get lean. Thanks in advance for any input.

Replies

• Hendrix7
    Hendrix7 Posts: 1,903 Member
    edited April 2015
    how is 6 days of stronglifts programmed into 1 week?

couple of things
    - 1. 5 weeks is hardly any time to get the best results you need to run a program for much longer, 3 months or more probably
    - 2. why would you switch from a routine made by an expect to what appears to be something thrown together by someone on the internet?

stick with what you are doing.
  • kikichewie
    kikichewie Posts: 276 Member
    I'd go the full 12 weeks. They are going to get a LOT more challenging. And there's no reason you can't add on the cardio as long as you can handle it. I'm starting week five myself, and I'm really anxious to start working on barbell hip thrusts.....
  • VickiLogan11
    VickiLogan11 Posts: 99 Member
    Hendrix7 wrote: »

couple of things
    - 1. 5 weeks is hardly any time to get the best results you need to run a program for much longer, 3 months or more probably
    - 2. why would you switch from a routine made by an expect to what appears to be something thrown together by someone on the internet?

Sorry I've no knowledge of the SL yet. Could you not do 6 days and a rest day ?
    Thanks in advance.
  • Hendrix7
    Hendrix7 wrote: »

couple of things

Sorry I've no knowledge of the SL yet. Could you not do 6 days and a rest day ?
    Thanks in advance.

no that isn't going to work.
    StrongLifts 5×5 consists of two full body-workouts:

Workout A: Squat, Bench Press, Barbell Row
    Workout B: Squat, Overhead Press, Deadlift,

you need to rest and recover between sessions
  • VickiLogan11
    Thankyou.
    Could I do
    Day 1 workout A
    Day 2 workout B
    Day 3 workout A
    Day 4 workout B
    Day 5 workout A
    Day 6 workout B
    Or is that a really dumb question lol. Like I said I've no knowledge of the programme yet but have it downloaded to my phone. There isn't much info on there tbh. Thanks again.
  • Hendrix7
    Thankyou.
    Could I do
    Day 1 workout A
    Day 2 workout B
    Day 3 workout A
    Day 4 workout B
    Day 5 workout A
    Day 6 workout B
    Or is that a really dumb question lol. Like I said I've no knowledge of the programme yet but have it downloaded to my phone. There isn't much info on there tbh. Thanks again.

you would be training the same muscles, every day, for 6 days in a row.

this is a recipe for making 0 progress or getting injured if you are a beginner to lifting weights - resting and recovering between lifting is as important as the lifting itself.

• marissafit06
    marissafit06 Posts: 1,996 Member
    SL is designed to be three lifting days per week.
  • VickiLogan11
    Thanks Hendrix. I was thinking SL was everyday. Need to look at it closer lol.
  • echofm1
    echofm1 Posts: 471 Member
    The reason you don't want to do strength training every day is mainly because it'll become ineffective. The idea with any strength training is that you create small tears in the muscles by working them to burn out. Then they repair themselves while resting, ultimately getting stronger. By working the same muscles day after day you're doing nothing but hurting yourself and getting nowhere. Most people do strength training 3-4 days a week.
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    I cannot imagine what difference it makes when you schedule your cardio during the day. I also cannot imagine how someone can be committed into a program like SL, give his/her 100% to it and then repeat it everyday.
  • VickiLogan11
    Morning cardio which I could do fasted was my thoughts.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,262 Member
    Do the program. Whether it's Strong Curves or Stronglifts, do the program as written.

Leanness will mostly depend on how much you eat. The trick is finding a balance between exercise and diet that gives you enough food to feel fueled/energetic but enough of a deficit to lose fat. Doing either program plus cardio 6x/wk is going to make that very difficult.